GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Kamelose and I are starting a new group called Trollaria. No I am not a megalomaniac. The name was Kamelose's idea, but how could I turn down such a cool and apropos name!

We see this as a relatively small, laid back group. If anyone is interested in joining us let us know and we can talk.

Our world philosophy is going to be pretty simple. The guiding principles will be courtesy and consideration. You can pretty much do what you like as long as it doesn't annoy your neighbor. We will allow resource gathering by group members, but in a planned and controlled way to keep the landscape nice and clean. This means planning our mines so they don't collide and become confused, replanting trees when harvesting, etc. Building won't be specifically controlled but we will discuss and agree on anything big. Maybe we can designate a special corner of the map for large eyesores if needed. We also expect to have a group collective approach where we will pool our resources for our high priority items - portals and world expansions, etc.

#2 Baeldeth

Baeldeth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 37 posts
  • LocationMarshall, SK
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

I would like to join your group. I will be playing again on Tuesday or Wednesday when I get back home to my computer.

#3 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I would like to join your group. I will be playing again on Tuesday or Wednesday when I get back home to my computer.

Hey, asd......... (you will have to tell me the preferred short version!). that would be great, it would give us a nice geographic distribution - New Jersey, Canada and Norway. Did the kind of world we had in mind sound appealing to you? You'd have to be interviewed by our applications manager Kamelose, and I understand he is one fierce Viking.

#4 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Nationality:Icelandic

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Oh, indeed! I'm so fierce! :)

I think Alpha (I think that's the nickname you got when you joined, I liked it and stuck to it) would be a good addition to our group, as long as he agrees with with our ideas of the world.
If not, Alpha, your welcome to comment and discuss other options. Also my Canadian friend says everyone from Newfoundland is nice and REALLY REALLY funny! (no pressure)

#5 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

MAP SEEDS

I've been looking around for a seed for our map. To get a quick start I looked through some of the suggested seeds already discussed on this forum. I used Minecraft Land Generator to build a 1000x1000 map from each seed. This is the size I assume we probably would be starting with. I then used MCMAP Live to generate an image of each map. The spawn point is near the center of the map. I loaded the first map in creative mode and then flew around it to confirm the features the software is showing me are really in the map and in the correct locations. After that I just trusted the images I was getting. MCMap Live lets you scan for blocks, so I can look for rails, iron doors, spawners, mossy cobble stone, etc to see if there are abandoned mineshafts, dungeons or strongholds. While it theory this lets you look for ores, I don't think it will be terribly useful since it does not give coordinates. I am not saving these block searches and we may decide that would be cheating to use it for play (I pledge not to keep this info if we do- or will share freely if we do not), but I think it is a useful tool to verify in advance that these features will at least be present somewhere on our map before we choose it.

So far my favorite is 5670318228659986790
Pros: all biomes present, two of most kinds. A nice village not too far from spawn point. Some coastline but not an excessive amount of water. A nice mix of mountains for scenery and mountain top keeps, but not enough to get in the way. Plenty of mob spawners, 11 abandoned mineshafts, 2 of which are very extensive.
Cons: No stronghold. This seed threw a "Placed Stronghold at Invalid Biome" error during map generation. I think that means within the 1000x1000 space would would not have one. I can't find block types one would expect in a stronghold. Maybe a map editor wiz could fix that and repair the seed, but I don't know how to do that.

Another good one is 2130227710449240762
Pros: Nice distribution of biomes across map, all biomes present, so you would never have to walk to far to get to the one your are looking for. A nice ravine. water on two sides.
Cons: No village, a little short on mountains but certainly not flat, also not a lot of plains. Centrally located rain forests could make traversing the map more difficult. I have not searched for strongholds etc on this map but can if we are interested in it.

OK - something screwy here. I had not saved 2130227710449240762 as world, so I re-ran Land Generator with this seed to regenerate the world, then rendered it. And now I get a much more interesting map, this time with a village. See 2130227710449240762a Up until now my results were reproducible but now I am beginning to distrust my process. The first time I did this seed it matched pretty closely duck's picture, see here page 2
I need an explanation how running the same seed could generate such a different looking world. I checked the number. I repeated 2130227710449240762 to see if I can figure out what is going on. This time I got a result pretty consistent with the "a" variation, with a slight shift in the center of the map. See 2130227710449240762b . Someone should independently verify this seed to see if they get something like my a and b results, or more like the original. But I'd still like to understand why this seed morphed on me. And if we go with the first one someone should double check my result on that one too.

#6 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

I absolutely love the first seed. It's way better then all the ones I've found. I'm gonna stop looking for seeds now, but your welcome to continue and share them. I can share the ones I've found if you like.

Regarding the Stronghold, I've never had any real use for them except for the gathering the blocks and entering the End. It's fine by me that we don't have one.

#7 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

I absolutely love the first seed. It's way better then all the ones I've found. I'm gonna stop looking for seeds now, but your welcome to continue and share them. I can share the ones I've found if you like.

Regarding the Stronghold, I've never had any real use for them except for the gathering the blocks and entering the End. It's fine by me that we don't have one.

I just updated my post with some mysteries, check it out

#8 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Strange. I'll try and render those seeds when I'm less busy.

#9 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I loaded the two seeds into Single Player and then flew around in creative mode to check them out.

2130227710449240762 gave the original version that I saw the first time, a peninsula sort of map with no village. Why I started getting a different map with LandGenerator (running as mcserver on all loads) is still unknown.

I then created the favorite seed as a single player world, 5670318228659986790. This one is reproducible. It still gives the cool map we like. I annotated it http://dl.dropbox.co...86790_annotated showing the origin 0,0 and the spawn point I landed in. I think Ray creates our map with a spawn at 0,0 so this looks OK. I roughly marked out the +/- 500 limits according to the coordinates as I flew around to see if Land Generator was giving me the 1000x1000 map centered at the origin I asked for. It was pretty close. I also marked out the mountain where I would like to build my stronghold if you will let me. It has a cool interior with a lake that I could build my fortified house with a lookout keep on the mountain top (but if others what to share this cool geological feature I am ok with that). There are also some really nice mountains to the southeast near the water. There are many really cool mountains on this map. It was fun to fly around it.

Kamel - you should load 5670318228659986790 up and check it out for yourself. If you see the same thing then I think we should go for it.

#10 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Just for fun, I tested out what the seed Trollaria would generate. Not a bad map, has village and all the biomes. Not as good as my favorite, but not bad.

#11 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yubb, it's the same map, I did a creative world and just flew around and found a few landmarks to compare.

Let's stick with this one.

#12 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Will you contact Ray about setting up the map and group? Not sure if Alpha will join or not, he can be added later when hes decided.

#13 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Will you contact Ray about setting up the map and group? Not sure if Alpha will join or not, he can be added later when hes decided.

Will do. I also will verify the spawn is at 0,0. Is that OK?
And do we want to do a world expansion right away? I say yes. We get 100x100 for a group of 2. If Alpha joins we get another 100x100. I have enough gold for another 100x100. Do you have enough for another 100x100. It will be 12 gold BLOCKS per 100 - we get at 25% discount for the group. I might have enough for another 100x100 by move day, not sure.

So at a minimum, I'd like to request an additional 300x300 (200 paid for, 100 free). We'll pick up the additional 100 if Alpha comes on board.

#14 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Yes, let's do it. I have enough for extra expansion. So let's say it just you and me, then 500x500 + 100x100 + 200x200 = 800x800 if Alpha joins and he has another 12 blocks, then it's 1000x1000!

#15 Baeldeth

Baeldeth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 37 posts
  • LocationMarshall, SK
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Ya, I would definitely like to join. I am currently out of town and away from my computer and will not be back until Tuesday or Wednesday, so if you need gold I keep it in my house in the top left chest. There should be quite a bit in there.

#16 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Excellent. I'm looking forward to getting our zone up.

#17 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

FYI: The process:

Asked Ray about the process for setting up members coming in from Limbo, here is the reply, "...I PM everyone in a group PM and they give me all the required info.
You should get that PM on the 1st, and on the 4th I will have everything setup and ready to go. ;)

and yes, your map's spawn will be set to 0,0.. Or very close to it if 0,0 isn't usable for whatever reason."

So we'll wait for the PM and I can make our group reply - we'll have time to find out how much gold Alpha has by then Posted Image

#18 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thinking about building in Trollaria.

Do you guys have any particular plans about where you want to build? Kamel, I think you said you'd like a sea view. there are some nice cliffs to the southeast the might do nicely for that.
I already said I had my eye on the mega mountain complex that I marked on the map. It has an interior valley and lake that could be walled off (just because that is the way trolls think- very defensive) and made into a "town" if we felt inclined. You know I build castles, that's my thing. Do we think we'd be happier building in different locations or would you like to be more co-located. (Once we get rich we could always buy portals to get around too).

At first I would probably only build my castle and then a guard tower on the summit of the mountain I like, maybe a mine cart water elevator I have been wanting to build connecting them. That and mining ought to keep me busy for some time. But Troll Mountain (ha ha) is located close to the spawn point, 0,0 sort of, so I think everyone should get input.

I just didn't want to do anything unilateral. I'd like to hear what others would like to do with Trollaria before we get the world so we can start right away.

#19 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

I like your build plan! I'm going to find a nice seaside location and build my kingdom. I've yet to decide my theme, might be medieval or it might be modern, not sure yet. Plan is to build a village with houses having specific purposes, storage house, brewing house, farm, enchanting house etc.

I think we should all just find a spot we prefer individually and build our houses etc. and save up for portals.

We can then build something together later, for example when we've located a spawner we could build something cool around the grinder.

I'd like to preserve the village area for experimenting with expanding NPC villages and try to get them to breed and spawn Iron Golems.

#20 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

Save the Villagers? Assuming there are some there.

From what I have seen, the villagers in our new map might not last the first night on their own. The village does not look big enough to spawn an iron golem. Do we care and want to save them? Or let them spawn later when we rebuild the village and replace doors - or I could save everyone a lot of trouble and eat them myself - argh.

Seriously - if a rescue mission is desired then I think we need to act in a concerted fashion on the first day we walk into our new world. At least two of us would have to join at the same time and go directly to the village. I am not sure how this new map stuff. Once it is set up do we spawn there the next time we join the server? But if that happens, do we have to then take a portal back to Limbo to get our supplies first? Or do we come in with our current inventory. I need to ask about that.

We'd need to take plenty of iron to build 2-3 golems, and perhaps a lot of fence to build a protective to back up the golems - unless we want to watch the fun and thick golems alone are enough, and lots of torches to light up the area, and beds for ourselves to keep the night away while we are building the defenses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users