• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

so has anyone gone in yet, I'm ready to see if we can get to the village

if our map is at least 700x700 based on a 3 member group we might be able to get to it

Been standing around our new portal for an hour now waiting to go in, I can't stand it any more! Please forgive my impatience, I have to go it. I'll go check on the villagers.

#42 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Been standing around our new portal for an hour now waiting to go in, I can't stand it any more! Please forgive my impatience, I have to go it. I'll go check on the villagers.

Nope! can't get to the village. For now I will just be careful to sleep to prevent nightfall
building a hut near the portal

#43 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

OK I set up a rest stop at the portal, placed some village rescue supplies there and other stuff. every time I cut down a tree I plant a new one. We of course may decide certain ares should be clear cut for building purposes.

Luckily Troll Mountain just makes it in our current map. I think we only have 500x500 at the moment. Been exploring the mountain, it is awesome but very rugged. Building on it is going to take some work. I take a bed with me everywhere I go and sleep every night so the villagers stay safe until we can get there

#44 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway
  • Nationality:Icelandic

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Awesome stuff! I'm hoping to get some game-time in tomorrow and find a proper location for my kingdom!

#45 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

Awesome stuff! I'm hoping to get some game-time in tomorrow and find a proper location for my kingdom!

Kamel! I found a great house building location for you! One of the cool looking mountains to the southeast is within reach on our 500x500 map. You wanted a sea view right? This one has it and more. It is also a hollowed out mountain. And it has a big hollow on the side facing the sea high up. You could build there and have a great view from your balcony. And below you is this deep ravine with lava and water falls. Lots of good cave systems in the area it looks like and pumpkins growing around. The desert is right behind you with some good plains areas that are flat.

It was so good looking I would be tempted by it myself if I had not already invested a lot of time in Troll Mountain. The view really is outstanding.
Just head left from the portal, the other way from Troll Mountain. I left a torch trail for you (forgot to take the coords) but you really can't miss it if you head left, it is quite a landmark.

BTW- I set up large animal pens outside Troll Mountain, with cows, pigs, chickens and sheep. They can be a group resource for all to use as long as everyone keeps the headcount up by feeding them wheat. Wheat farm nearby. For the sheep I'd eventually like 1 or 2 of each color, but have not dyed them yet.

#46 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Brilliant! I like that spot. I think I will go ahead and set base there. Thanks.

Nice to have access to the pens, thanks.

I'm still a bit tied up with work and haven't had time to start planning my build yet. I will soon.

What about you Alpha, found any nice locations?

We should be getting the expansion soon so there will be more space available.

#47 Baeldeth

Baeldeth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 37 posts
  • LocationMarshall, SK
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

No, I haven't been online for awhile. I will have a lot more time freed up after Tuesday, which means more time for minecraft. I plan to build some sort of castle city thing, just not too sure of how I want to build it. I will wait for the expansion and see what terrain is available before I build.

#48 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

No, I haven't been online for awhile. I will have a lot more time freed up after Tuesday, which means more time for minecraft. I plan to build some sort of castle city thing, just not too sure of how I want to build it. I will wait for the expansion and see what terrain is available before I build.

If you are looking for good mountains, the expansion is going to open up good ones to the south east along the water and some at the northwest corner of the map.

#49 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Ok, I think I'm going for that mountain and use the caves underneath also, as seen in the photo :)

Posted Image

#50 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

[quote name='Kamelose' date='06 May 2012 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1336346074' post='8601']
Ok, I think I'm going for that mountain and use the caves underneath also, as seen in the photo :)

Good choice. how did you get that photo of our map?

#51 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

[quote name='GreenishTroll' date='07 May 2012 - 02:35 AM' timestamp='1336358125' post='8609']
[quote name='Kamelose' date='06 May 2012 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1336346074' post='8601']

Good choice. how did you get that photo of our map?
[/quote]

Oh, you don't know about the Live Map? It's in the selection on top here between "Special Maps and Areas" and "Ranks". When the map opens you'll see Limbo and then you click the arrow on the right ( < ) to show the sidebar and from there you can scroll to Trollaria and click the "Surface" or "Flat" icons or just click you own name if you are logged in.

#52 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:02 AM

ame='GreenishTroll' date='07 May 2012 - 02:35 AM' timestamp='1336358125' post='8609']

Oh, you don't know about the Live Map? It's in the selection on top here between "Special Maps and Areas" and "Ranks". When the map opens you'll see Limbo and then you click the arrow on the right ( < ) to show the sidebar and from there you can scroll to Trollaria and click the "Surface" or "Flat" icons or just click you own name if you are logged in.

I knew about the Live Map, but it kept showing Limbo and I thought that was all it could do. Didn't know about the ability to switch maps. Thanks!

#53 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Was thinking if I should make the same rail linkage between the portal and village like I have between portal and my home?

My plan is to make a semi automated railway to all our biggest locations, what are your thoughts on that?

#54 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Was thinking if I should make the same rail linkage between the portal and village like I have between portal and my home?

My plan is to make a semi automated railway to all our biggest locations, what are your thoughts on that?

Sounds good to me. I was holding off on a rail line from my house to the portal thinking I'd probably wait and just do a portal instead, but a railway to the village makes good sense.

I tried to take your railway to your house. I got a roundtrip ticket it seems. It kept going and I ended up back at the portal. Maybe I was supposed to jump out while it was still moving?

It also raises the question about building at the portal hub - we should think about it so that the rail lines integrate well with the future portal hub building. Ideally all the rails would come to the same place and one could catch them from the same centralized location. If we plan it now it could avoid awkward looking rail zigs and zags to accommodate any future building. I don't have a specific proposal yet, but I am thinking of railway station platforms, perhaps with a ring of portals around the outside perimeter?

#55 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Sounds good to me. I was holding off on a rail line from my house to the portal thinking I'd probably wait and just do a portal instead, but a railway to the village makes good sense.

I tried to take your railway to your house. I got a roundtrip ticket it seems. It kept going and I ended up back at the portal. Maybe I was supposed to jump out while it was still moving?

It also raises the question about building at the portal hub - we should think about it so that the rail lines integrate well with the future portal hub building. Ideally all the rails would come to the same place and one could catch them from the same centralized location. If we plan it now it could avoid awkward looking rail zigs and zags to accommodate any future building. I don't have a specific proposal yet, but I am thinking of railway station platforms, perhaps with a ring of portals around the outside perimeter?

It's made to stop you when your at my base, always works for me...

Yes, I'd like to see a portal hub and then have a underground subway beneath it with all rail travelling happening underground. I ones played on a server where they had built a system where you could always place your minecart on same rail and then you picked your location with a button. The button activated the rails to switch between lines and therefore sending you to the right path.

Would you prefer to have it above ground?

#56 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

It's made to stop you when your at my base, always works for me...

Yes, I'd like to see a portal hub and then have a underground subway beneath it with all rail travelling happening underground. I ones played on a server where they had built a system where you could always place your minecart on same rail and then you picked your location with a button. The button activated the rails to switch between lines and therefore sending you to the right path.

Would you prefer to have it above ground?

I am mine cart challenged no doubt. I always have trouble getting in and out, and now it appears they don't stop for me either. Must be my trollish girth.

Underground would be very cool - but clearly a lot of work. We have time to work on it.

#57 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

I've found 2 spots with 2 spider spawners close to each other and a skeleton spawner. Did you want to build a grinder anytime soon?

#58 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

I've found 2 spots with 2 spider spawners close to each other and a skeleton spawner. Did you want to build a grinder anytime soon?

I found a zombie spawner right below my house, and a suspected cave spider spawner close by that I need to locate.

Yes I'd like to build a grinder. I have been wanting to try this design

Fall Damage Experience Grinder
When a skeleton, zombie, or creeper (Which have 10 hearts of health) drops 22 blocks it will leave it with one half-heart of health left. Endermen have 20 hearts, so at 42 blocks, they will have 1/2 of a heart, and spiders have 8 hearts, so they need to fall 18 blocks. A canal can then carry them to a hole in the wall, where the player can reach in and punch them to gain both experience and the drops. This works best when you make this in a dungeon.Firstly, make water flow to a 1x2 hole in the dungeon. Then,have water source blocks alternate with signs to the desired drop height. At this point have water flow to its end (it has a low viscosity so this may go on a while) and then mine down to the place where the mobs hit. It is best to leave them with half a heart, because mobs do not disappear over time, but pickups do. Then mine a pathway to your house. Then go back to the fall point and place a block so that only the mobs' legs are showing so that they cannot hurt you. Then you have a working mob trap.

Fall damage Exp grinder

what do you think?

#59 Kamelose

Kamelose
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:08 AM

This is similar to the design I've been using on my grinders, works great and fun to build!

I'll do a dual spider spawner grinder when I've done with the skele grinder, it's a bit harder to get them to work properly, imo.

#60 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

This is similar to the design I've been using on my grinders, works great and fun to build!

I'll do a dual spider spawner grinder when I've done with the skele grinder, it's a bit harder to get them to work properly, imo.

Let me know when you plan to do one, I'd like to watch and see how it is set up. I've not done done and am not quite sure about the lift mechanism with the signs and water. &nbsp;I've tried a test water elevator and I am not getting any lift. &nbsp;I'm not getting something right.<div><br></div><div>&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, there seems to be some discrepancy about whether you need to be within a certain number of blocks from the spawner or not within that distance. Only one answer can be right - do mobs spawn within about 16 blocks of the player or not within that distance?

</div>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users