GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:55 PM

Workroom WIP beneath the Citadel.  Rail line coming in from NE station switches to right for chest carts and straight ahead for passengers, with the same cart collection and dispensing redstone as the stations.  15 slot auto furnace on the right further down and mega chest sorting system on the left.  Rail line in middle raises up to the Citadel.  Arched ceiling and enchanting and potion rooms still under construction.

Spoiler

#22 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

Redstone projects

I wanted to build a large automated furnace for fun.  I settled on a 15 furnace design by Tango Tek found here: http://youtu.be/acKnjrKSqzI

When I first buiit it, it worked really well and all furnace light up simultaneously.   It had elevated chests feeding hooper chains for smeltables and fuel.   But then I added a dropper tower to lift items from chests placed at floor level.  The timing seems to not be right now and some funaces are fed faster than others, but the all light.  I manually collect the items to collect the XP.  It's more fun than economical to buildl, it's very resource intensive, using more than 128 hoppers.

Some screenshots of the auto furnace 

Spoiler

#23 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

Redstone Projects - chest sorting

I've always wanted to do a chest sorter.  I wanted to be able to put mixed items into a single chest and then have them sorted appropriately.  I also wanted an overflow system.  I always find that certain chests fill up in the workroom for items like cobble and stone.  Then you end up building a celler for the overflow.  Then when restocking you need to fill chests in the cellar, and maybe chests in the workroom.  It becomes a multipoint pain.

So I took a basic sorting design that you see everywhere with the comparator checking a hopper below a hopper chain with the items in the hopper slots adding up to 22 (I use 54445 because it looks nice)

The redstone

Spoiler

And hopper next to comparator set up to sort cobblestone into the hopper below

Spoiler

I only sort high volume stuff like cobblestone, stone, stone bricks, dirt, etc.  Those chests are at the bottom of each column of chests in my workaround.  Other items are manually managed.  It's not worth the iron to set up a hopper flow to sort them, and it would leave no room for the overflow system.  I just note on the signs which items are sorted.  Unsorted items that get into the system by accident are passed to a chest at the end of the chain

Spoiler

And it all just needs to be dropped into a single chest, very simple.

Spoiler

This is an overhead view of the sorting system. The hopper chain comes in from the left in the background where items are lifted up by a dropper tower.  Items to be sorted enter a circular flow of hoppers (covered with stone pressure plates to keep stray junk out of the system).  These hoppers distribute the items into a system of chests, that keep passing the items downward until they eventually get to the chest that faces into my workroom.  When the workroom chest fills up the ones behind will start filling, and they will replace items in the workroom chest as they are removed.  So I always have a full chest facing into the workroom with a very large overflow set of chests feeding from behind, and everything is filled via one input chest.  The hopper cost is very high though.

Spoiler

I have 24 overflow chests for each item sorted.  

Spoiler

#24 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

Redstone project: Dropper tower

argh.  Some work well, some don't - that would be my learning experience.

My first design tried did not work so well. It would randomly get stuck, especially when I was pushing different items through at the same time.  This is the first design (I wouldn't recommend it)

Spoiler

I then found this amazing post - the ultimate guide to dropper towers

http://www.minecraft...-dropper-towers

In it I found a really fast design by sysfailure that was supposed to not get stuck. It's not very noisy either, unlike the first design.

see http://youtu.be/m8pNkxJc1x8

It's very very fast, and has not gotten stuck yet.  It needs two hopper chains feeding into it so they can keep up.

Here is the basic layout,  The repeater is set to two ticks, and the comparator clock that powers the droppers is in subtraction mode.  A half slab is used to deliver power to the dropper it is attached to and the ones above and below - in order to avoid powering the attached hoppers like a full block would, and thus stopping them.  

Spoiler

View of dropper tower as installed to feed the chest sorting system

Spoiler

#25 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 05 October 2014 - 06:19 AM

OH.   MY.    GAWD.

Posted Image

#26 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Holy to the crap

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#27 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:57 AM

I had no idea trolls are so organized! ^^

#28 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:54 AM

Items to be sorted enter a circular flow of hoppers (covered with stone pressure plates to keep stray junk out of the system).

This is amazing work, especially how you can operate it using only one input chest and one non-bulk output chest. Hell, at my peak I was never anywhere near this level of sophistication.

I am curious about the pressure plates - what would happen if a stray object activates a plate?

#29 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Items to be sorted enter a circular flow of hoppers (covered with stone pressure plates to keep stray junk out of the system).

This is amazing work, especially how you can operate it using only one input chest and one non-bulk output chest. Hell, at my peak I was never anywhere near this level of sophistication.

I am curious about the pressure plates - what would happen if a stray object activates a plate?

My guess is you shouldn't be walking on them when the system is in operation, it would likely stop the hopper flow.  But I put them on so I could clear out the area without cobble falling into them, or a ladder when it was remodelling, etc,  and messing things up.  Everything is in the back room where I am not walking around anyway so no issue.  If an item were to fall on the plate and stop things temporarily, it's still better than junk getting into the hopper pipes and ending up who knows where.  It can be a real pain to track down stray stuff and remove it.  

#30 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

I had no idea trolls are so organized! ^^

I subscribe to Better Housekeeping for Trolls magazine.  All kinds of good ideas there for keeping your cave tidy.  Like - you know those thumbs and fingers you always have lying around after a big meal that no one has any room left to eat?  You can freeze those in separately wrapped containers and warm them up quickly for late nite snacks.  They are really yummy with a little chili sauce.

#31 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

:D :D :D

mmmmm hot fingers....

0 user(s) are reading this topic