GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Lag on the server has been bad for at least a week, and seems to be getting worse.

The time replays are really bad. I get rewound 2-5 seconds sometimes. After just mining a row of ten blocks quickly, there will be a lag spike and 4 or them reappear. It's making play pretty difficult. Do we know what the problem is? Do we need a server reset. Maintenance was just done, so I am puzzled why it didn't get better after that.

I'm trying to eat my melon slice and sometimes nothing happens for a few seconds. Or you stand there for several seconds waiting for a chest to open.

#2 infiniteduck

infiniteduck
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 429 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh?
  • Nationality:Mutt

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

It could be a problem with 1.3, such as the new server controlled sound. It could be a hiccup with the server. It could be the dynmap. We'll just have to wait and see what Ray says.

I'm leaning to 1.3 and the sound or maybe dynmap. Hard to tell, but I lag a lot on my own, so it's hard to tell if it's a just a bad net day in the country, or a bad day on the server.

Heck maybe we have too many redstone projects up, too much stuff growing, or too many critters in our farms. My floaty island of dirt has 'vines' for roots coming out of it and they keep growing and growing. Soon they'll touch the water. I have a small wheat farm, Nek has a giant one. There are a few giant critter farms in panem. It might not be helping things.
Posted Image

#3 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

It could be a problem with 1.3, such as the new server controlled sound. It could be a hiccup with the server. It could be the dynmap. We'll just have to wait and see what Ray says.

I'm leaning to 1.3 and the sound or maybe dynmap. Hard to tell, but I lag a lot on my own, so it's hard to tell if it's a just a bad net day in the country, or a bad day on the server.

Heck maybe we have too many redstone projects up, too much stuff growing, or too many critters in our farms. My floaty island of dirt has 'vines' for roots coming out of it and they keep growing and growing. Soon they'll touch the water. I have a small wheat farm, Nek has a giant one. There are a few giant critter farms in panem. It might not be helping things.

It was happening last weekend before the server, or I, upgraded to 1.3. So it's possible 1.3 could have made it worse, but it is not the origin. It is possible we are suffering from a gradual accumulation of stuff that you mention that is gradually bogging us down.

#4 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Redstone, Critters, Mobs, Wheat none of those will have any performance effect on the server if the chunks are not active. It is likely the result of the 1.3 update, although it is more than likely caused by multiple things. Everything does put strain on the server so at some point something may have to go. I am sure Ray will look into it this afternoon and perhaps he will be able to fix it without anything drastic needing to occur.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Redstone, Critters, Mobs, Wheat none of those will have any performance effect on the server if the chunks are not active. It is likely the result of the 1.3 update, although it is more than likely caused by multiple things. Everything does put strain on the server so at some point something may have to go. I am sure Ray will look into it this afternoon and perhaps he will be able to fix it without anything drastic needing to occur.

This was my thought. Those things shouldn't have a bearing on the server unless they're actively being updated. I have also noticed the bad lag that started right around the time we let our new applicants in (sorry guys!). I wonder if it's possibly due to something that happened in adding them? I don't know, but I'm sure that Ray will figure it out. He's a smart guy.

#6 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

The lag existed, and was every bit as bad, at least a week before the 1.3 update. I can't speak to the time before that, since I obviously wasn't around.

I can't imagine that the addition of four players would cause lag to this extent, considering there hasn't been a total of seven people online, and I've had spikes when I was the only person.

Now, the addition of the maps from last month's Limbo crew could be causing something, since those are large, tangible additions. I personally think this, or the DynMap (or a combination of these), is the most likely candidate, if it's not simply a problem at the host.

Throwing ideas out there! <3

#7 Ziggii

Ziggii
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 74 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

Well, it's not because of the map. The map went down a couple days before 1.3 came out and when Ray did maintenance is when the map came back up. People still had lag during this time.

#8 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Now, the addition of the maps from last month's Limbo crew could be causing something, since those are large, tangible additions. I personally think this, or the DynMap (or a combination of these), is the most likely candidate, if it's not simply a problem at the host.

That was what I was implying.

#9 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

There were 2 to 3 times more maps removed this last month than added, so if anything part of the server load should have been reduced.
Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#10 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

There were 2 to 3 times more maps removed this last month than added, so if anything part of the server load should have been reduced.

Well, that's a bust, then.

Honestly, then, given that all the major changes seem to be load-reducing rather than load-bearing, and given that the problem existed before 1.3, I'm thinking it's gotta be something at the host. -Shrug.- Just my two cents, though.

#11 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

It's quite possible that 1.3 is making the lag worse, but the server was definitely showing problems a week before the update.

Today is was sooooooooooooooo bad (that was lag) that I mined the same block about 6 times in a row, it just kept popping back in place. I decided at that point that mining at least was just not possible any more due to the lag and quit for the day. I can get that sort of frustration and lack of fulfillment in the real world at work! There may be other activities that can be enjoyed on the server, but mining is not one of them. Even shooting creepers with arrows was getting frustrating. I'd pull back my bow, let the arrow fly, and then start counting. 1....2.....3.....4......5......6 and then the arrow might appear and hit the creeper. Not much of a real time experience.

Please Ray. take a look.

#12 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Three times today I was killed by glitches in the game. Twice, I signed on and I was suffocating in the ground and died. Once, the lag froze the mobs and then sped them up so that they were on top of me before I could prepare.
All three times I lost enchanted diamond tools, experience and precious materials. Has anyone else experienced any of that? It's really frustrating and I'm kind of afraid to play until this sh*t gets resolved.
End of whine.

#13 Bamfigms

Bamfigms
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 189 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Nationality:Appalachian American

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

I guess I will do my own whine. Just lost a complete inventory of items because of a back up going on during lag.
I died in my yard, stepped out to pick up my stuff, all gone.

Also sometimes I will place a block and it will place, say, a stone brick on top of dirt, instead of being a stone brick that gets placed, it shows up as dirt. Had some steaks turn into torches once too.

As far as what is causing it, we can pretty much rule out anything said above. Because it was going on before 1.3, it happens when only 1 or 2 people are online, it happens when the livemap is down, and every other change has been less load instead of more. 1.3 might have it's issues, but this lag is not 1.3 related. Hell I honestly had it a bit worse before the update.

#14 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:20 AM

Three times today I was killed by glitches in the game. Twice, I signed on and I was suffocating in the ground and died. Once, the lag froze the mobs and then sped them up so that they were on top of me before I could prepare.
All three times I lost enchanted diamond tools, experience and precious materials. Has anyone else experienced any of that? It's really frustrating and I'm kind of afraid to play until this sh*t gets resolved.
End of whine.

I have not had it that bad. A couple times when joining it feels like I spawned into the void and did a few seconds of free fall before hitting the ground, but I think that has happened before the most recent problems. It could just be bad luck, if you happen to join when the server is having a particularly bad moment you are in trouble. There is definitely a variation to the lag. It is not constant, sometimes it is quite mild, and at other times its very bad. It's like it has gotten very sensitive to load, and now even with a moderate number of players it gets bad.

#15 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I guess I will do my own whine. Just lost a complete inventory of items because of a back up going on during lag.
I died in my yard, stepped out to pick up my stuff, all gone.

Also sometimes I will place a block and it will place, say, a stone brick on top of dirt, instead of being a stone brick that gets placed, it shows up as dirt. Had some steaks turn into torches once too.

As far as what is causing it, we can pretty much rule out anything said above. Because it was going on before 1.3, it happens when only 1 or 2 people are online, it happens when the livemap is down, and every other change has been less load instead of more. 1.3 might have it's issues, but this lag is not 1.3 related. Hell I honestly had it a bit worse before the update.

Did you try running over the spot where they were? Sometimes items will seem like they've disappeared, but when you run over the spot that they are, they jump up into your inventory. I had the problem with stone brick turning into dirt or something. It was a client side error and a full log out (completely shut down Minecraft, restart it) fixed the problem.

#16 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Bumping this topic so anybody with ongoing issues regarding server lag can post here so we can keep it all in one central location which would, in my opinion, be more helpful. :D

#17 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I haven't read this entire thread, so I may be echoing someone elses idea. Is a rollback to 1.2.5 possible?
This would give relief to those of us having a serious MC jones right about now.
But in any event, please don't be ragging on poor, old Mr. Raymond. Nobody loves SG more than him (with the possible exception Ery and srm.) (and maybe torcido and mctheta) (and me) (and the rest of us)
However, this is his baby and no one works harder to keep it running, so until he raises the rent, I'm not about to bust his balls.

#18 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I haven't read this entire thread, so I may be echoing someone elses idea. Is a rollback to 1.2.5 possible?
This would give relief to those of us having a serious MC jones right about now.
But in any event, please don't be ragging on poor, old Mr. Raymond. Nobody loves SG more than him (with the possible exception Ery and srm.) (and maybe torcido and mctheta) (and me) (and the rest of us)
However, this is his baby and no one works harder to keep it running, so until he raises the rent, I'm not about to bust his balls.

Ooh, that's a good idea that I hadn't thought of. Is that a possibility at all? Rolling back to a 1.2.5 server to see if that reduces/eliminates the lag until they get 1.3 fixed? I'm seeing a lot of comments from the Minecraft community that the 1.3 "recommended build" is just a glorified beta build. :(

#19 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Might not be do-able since there are already 1.3 elements in game (colored slabs, sandstone stairs, pyramids, etc.) Don't know if they would glitch out of existence or actually break the save.
Posted Image

#20 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

We may have to deal with it a bit longer, although a new Recommended Build from Bukkit for 1.3 was recently installed it obviously hasn't cured the issue, the server is already the best money can buy so there isn't much that can be done on that front as well. There are some debates going on and eventually there may be a solution hammered out, but until the root cause of exactly is causing the issue is determined we are on the fence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users