• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 synbios128

synbios128
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

My real name is Oscar and I am 30. I want to formally say thanks for having me here on SixtyGig. I wanted to share a little about myself so here goes.

I am from west Texas born and raised. I joined the US Navy at 18 right out of high school. I wanted to serve my country and not get shot at so I decided to volunteer for submarine duty. I went to boot camp, then sub school, and then my first duty station was the USS Alaska SSBN 732. After my 4 1/2 year stint on sea duty I transferred to shore duty for a little over 3 years in the north east part of the country. (Notice that I am being vague with exact locations.) I grew to love Dunkin Donuts and their Boston Creme donuts and ever since I got out of the Navy and moved back to Texas I have been craving one badly. Walmart and HEB can't make a decent donut and Crispy Creme is over rated in my opinion. The only saving grace is a local donut shop ran by a small family. If I had the money, I'd try to talk them into building franchises all over so others can share in their awesomeness. Anyway, enough about donuts!

I grew up playing video games from the time I was 5. My first system was the NES and the first few games I remember owning were Rad Racer and Castlevania 2. My love of the Zelda franchise started when I got my hands on a shiny used cartridge of the first Zelda. I pestered my parents into finally getting me a SNES one year for Christmas and a copy of Zelda: A Link to the Past. My father owned and ran a pawn shop and we lived about a block away so after school I would take some NES or SNES games up there and trade them for something else I wanted to play. I had full access to as many games I wanted as long as I traded in something for it. Way better deal than Gamestop! Needless to say, I would end up trading all the bad games for better ones and be fully content. Until of course the Sega CD came out. I wanted one so badly then. Someone pawned a Sega CD and everyday I would go in the back of the pawn shop and stare at it, hoping that the owner would leave it there and hoping someday it would be mine. A few days before the loan was due, they came and paid it off and took their Sega CD back. Another nerd moment of mine was when the Sega Saturn came out and a buddy of mine and I went to the local K-Mart and asked the clerk if we could open the box and smell the Saturn since we couldn't afford the $500 price tag. Of course he did and of course it smelled of brand new electronics and plastic.

But anyway, I am on call 24/7 for my job and I do travel a lot so there may be days when I can't get on but I am still around. Thanks again for having me here in this community.

#2 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hah. I am presently living in West Texas myself. I moved down here from Iowa about 3 years ago. There's a couple local donut shops that I absolutely love. My ex introduced me to them and holy cow, they were the best. They kind of ruined Krispy Kreme for me, though I don't eat donuts too frequently. Your talk of donuts cannot distract from an earlier conversation we had on SixtyGig that has me craving a peanut butter and banana custard from Sheridan's. Ugh. The best.

That said, welcome to SixtyGig. :) Hope you like it here. And excuse the mess, we're switching things up a bit.

#3 synbios128

synbios128
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

Would one of the donut shops that you love be Southern Maid donuts? And a peanut butter and banana custard is on my "to try" list near the top.

#4 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Alas, no. I don't think we have one of those in town. :(

#5 synbios128

synbios128
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 8 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

I was just checking to see if we were in the same west Texas town without being to obvious. Although, I'm sure the aforementioned donut shop is easily searchable.

#6 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

Haha. I'm in Lubbock, for what it's worth. But I don't think you're in the same area as me ;) I would guess a bit further south.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users