• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fishy5252

Fishy5252
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I mentioned it briefly, but basically something is stopping me from connecting to pretty much any gaming servers. On both my laptop and my desktop via wifi. Thus, I assumed it was the net but I then managed to get xbox live working (hadn't previously worked) and I thought about how I used to be able to connect on this same network before my laptop broke (it's now fixed, with a new motherboard and processor - of the same specs, not sure what difference that makes).

Anyway, thought I'd post it here just so people know that I haven't given up on minecraft and incase any techies out there know a fix, incase it isn't the network, or incase I can get around it in a safe way (without voiding the uni's network policy or whatever).

Worst case scenario is that I can play a couple times every few months and then once I move again after the summer I'll be sorting the internet myself and can play freely. Anyway, I'm bored! I can't just work, it's driving me mad! Help me, sixtygig!

P.S Oh, and Ros, or somebody, grab me a space at the new bank for when(if) I return? :)

#2 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

what exactly is the problem you're getting? Does it give you an error message? Or does it just time out? And you're not on your own internet, you're on university-wide internet, is that correct?

#3 Fishy5252

Fishy5252
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

It times out after I log into the server - the server + green bars show up instantly on the server selection page, and the people who are online show up after I 'log in' (when I hold tab, I don't actually see any chat), so i must have some sort of connection.. but nothing loads and I just fall through space until it disconnects me for timing out.

I downloaded another MMO to test and it gave me a 'could not connect to servers' issue, too.

and yeah, uni-wide net, which would make me think it's a firewall on their part, but my question would then have to be what has changed to make them add that, as I used to be able to get on just fine. Weird.

Also just tested an ethernet link and through a wireless dongle on my desktop with the same problems, so it's got to be the net or default settings or something...?

#4 Snugglequine

Snugglequine
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 193 posts
  • Nationality:Cornish

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

If it's a uni connection you might have massive latency issues. Do you have a friend or a family member that's not on the uni campus, that's willing to let you test at their home?
I also find a physical cable connection to be -far- more stable than dongles or wireless, but I'm not sure if you mean you testing a cable with a dongle or each on their own. Might be worth trying just a cable from your laptop.

#5 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, I would do what Snugglequine suggests and first determine if it's the university network that's the problem or if it's something related to your computer. Once you figure out whether it's the university or your computer, we could help you further (or at least give you some options temporarily?)

#6 Fishy5252

Fishy5252
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 43 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I tried a cable and it doesn't work either - Although, now you mention it, and it seems obvious - I did of course try to connect on my desktop here, which previously had worked successfully at my home, off campus - and nothing has changed on it, thus it must be the network?

#7 srm86

srm86
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I would assume that it's the network itself. Are any of your friends having similar issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users