• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 nicbooth

nicbooth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Recently been experiencing some rather bad lag on the server. Looking for suggestions on how to improve my latency. When I first joined, I had bad lag around the portals, and assumed this was simply because it was still loading in the new location. Now I get severe lag to the point where it's really un-playable in locations which used to be fine (my house for example.) 

So far I've tried experimenting with prioritising Minecraft traffic on my router without noticeable improvement, so I'm wondering if there's any changes to the Minecraft client I could make to improve the performance from there?

Any tips?

Cheers,

Nic

#2 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hi Nic  I think it's important to try and isolate the cause of the poor latency, after trying the obvious things, which you seem to have done already.

It could ofc be a local or a remote problem, what does a visual traceroute to 60G game server come up with? Any bottlenecks there?

http://visualroute.visualware.com

Always a process of substitution, turn off the routers firewall, try a different router ( and if you have switches, hubs in the chain swop or remove those too), if connecting to your router by wifi take a look at who else is using the same channel with Stumbler or simply change the channel and test, try MC on a different PC/laptop, finally try on your PC/laptop from different location.  

Remove MC after backing up saved games and reinstall, what other processes are running on your PC whilst MC is running? Do you have an aggressive antivirus/ software firewall?  Its a very long list of possibilities  8-/

Try those first and report back, always happy to help.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#3 AvalonXai

AvalonXai
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 486 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

This is a really helpful thread - good idea making it nic! :)

#4 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

This probably doesn't apply to your situation Nic, but ...

I set my render to tiny or short and the boost seems to fix my lag.

Any other slowdown, I figure is caused by being in or near a busy chunk.

Ray's new spider grinder slows me way down.

I even felt it happening when I was near the cow barn at Hub.

So... check your house for cows.  :)

#5 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

Oribloke and Ray also suggested some additional programs to smoothen Minecraft:

-Magic Launcher

-Modloader 

-Optifine

Apparently they are all used simultainiously. I haven't tried installing them yet, but still wanted to share. :P

( My lag comes and goes. Sometimes it freezes me completely, specially when theres a lot of local activity around me, like mob gatherings at night.  Turning down the render distance has helped some, but the lag is still scary.)

Posted Image

#6 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

All good tips! Isolating the exact cause of the data bottleneck, local or remote is tricky but can be done if you are systematic.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#7 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Did a visualroute test, but not sure how to interpret it?

3duwe.jpg

Posted Image

#8 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

The hop that is giving a delay of 1832 milliseconds is contributing to a very slow route to the 60G server for you. There are also 22 hops ( hops are how many routers, switches blah that your route contains) which is a high number, also increases latency.

So I think that this slow route, when you are in map spots that demand fast access to data is letting you down.

It would be useful to repeat the test at a different time of day, to see if you get a similar result. Routes change constantly. I'm surprised how poor yours is actually.  8(

From the Uk I have an average hop response of  126ms, I have one router just in USA that is poor, dropping my average considerably as it could have been under 100ms.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#9 skydealer

skydealer
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 256 posts
  • LocationUSA - Winston, GA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

Do you have any stepping or lag at all in MInecraft when you play in single player or is it just here?

shows a few tricks that may help with some issues but I was also wondering if it was happening just while you were in specific areas or with certain other players were logged on at the same time? 

I remember back on a previous seed on SixtyGig I made the mistake of starting a village on a mooshroom island.  This all seemed fine until I started seeing serious lag when I was in the area and I think it was because of my village population.  Turns out they kept breeding and going down into caves.  I wandered below only to find dozens, if not hundreds of the little buggers bouncing about, and since it was in a mob-free area they were never killed off.  A few buckets of lava solved the issue.  Not sure if that was what caused the problem but I never really saw any lag after that.

Don't tell Ray about that though.... shhhhhh.

I'm wondering if too many passive mobs may be at fault here as many of us have breeding pens. 

#10 nicbooth

nicbooth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

Done some more testing, no SP lag and some other servers are fine too, I'm fairly convinced it's a network issue.

Worst hop in traceroute is:

as15003.xe-1-0-3.ar1.lax2.us.nlayer.net (69.31.127.46)  1555.228 ms

Edit: note this is not game slowdown, I get very constant frame rates.

#11 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

@ Mark
Thank you for the help. And guh, how crappy the connection to the end server is. :'(   I've been suspecting the net for a while, since everything else works just fine (even other sites and servers). I will do some more tests at other times of the day to see how much it differs.

@ Sky

"A few buckets of lava solved the issue." - nooo murder!  >.<
That youtube link is really helpful, awesomely good! I will try his settings and installations later today for sure!

Posted Image

#12 skydealer

skydealer
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 256 posts
  • LocationUSA - Winston, GA

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

Sun - I did actually feel bad but it was done for the good of the server.  (Sigh)

But if Ray is having bandwidth issues I can volunteer my server to handle things like the texture pack downloads or the forum hosting.  I have bandwidth to spare since my main website traffic slowed.

#13 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

Worst hop in traceroute is:

as15003.xe-1-0-3.ar1.lax2.us.nlayer.net (69.31.127.46)  1555.228 ms

Nic, nlayer.net is where my route hits a bad last hop before 60G also. I have a 27% data loss at that point which suggests overload at Ray's service provider.

This hop looks like the feed to Ray. nlayer.net are a 'premier" Cloud services provider, but they haven't noticed a bad router in their network, that's not premier!

I don't know his setup, does Ray rent server/s or host himself?

Ray? Are you catching this? I'll PM you  8)

Please can a couple more people do traceroute and report if they have an nplayer.net problem?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#14 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

Update  - Ray is checking with his host, thanks ray  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#15 nicbooth

nicbooth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

Great thanks Cap'n! And thanks Ray for everything!

#16 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

This is due to how routers in datacenters respond to ICMP/Ping traffic, given how popular ping flood attacks have become they're given absolute lowest priority.
Which is why the latency quickly drops back to normal levels after pinging that router (if it was actual congestion, the 1800ms+ latency would stick from that hop forward, but the visual route shows they get under 150ms or so on the last 3 hops, which is very good going from half way around the world(Europe to LA).
Imagine a pipe system, where there is an actual bottleneck(small pipe) the water after the bottleneck would not be able to resume high flow after that bottleneck, which isn't the case with those last 3 hops. This also explains why there is no packetloss to the end host, only to the pings to that specific route.
The only way to lower latency lower than 150ms would be to move the server closer to them, such as New York, Florida, Chicago, or one of our 3 EU locations.

..So in English, it sounds like everything is actually fine. ;)

sig.png

#17 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

Check traceroute in a few days Nic, to see if it is .....

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#18 nicbooth

nicbooth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:32 PM

Seemed very responsive last night, though later in the night I was getting intermittent time-outs. I have a feeling that a lot of my lag issues are my ISP, which I'm planning on abandoning in a month or two.

#19 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Your early hops in your ISP seem not too bad, but it's not flat line so there is some latency.

A traceroute this morning showed that the nlayer router/hop is still bad with a max 56% packet loss. I'm not personally convinced that the techy is 100% squeeky clean in his response, he is basically saying that the traceroute traffic is intentionally given a low priority hence the poor result. MC traffic goes through with a higher priority.  Showing my traceroute result to a friend in that very business brought the comment "that's not normal".

But then I'm a geek who won't rest on a problem, but I'll hold my peace now  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#20 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:10 AM

I think you have a point Mark and your help is much appreciated!

Did a follow up test and I'm again stuck on that  65.98.144.35.

Wondering - Is there a way I can reroute my traffic my self?

3eDKE.png

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users