Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

Unfortunately no. Moving ISP or city sometimes works 8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#22 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

It seems as tho ISP's like to throttle connections and sometimes use 3rd party companies to do so, it is possible you are being directed threw a bottleneck intentionally to regulate your bandwidth, case in point i was having bandwidth issues with streaming videos from youtube, so i did some research and found this post. Stop throttling! Basically what was happening was my ISP was indeed throttling my connection by routing me threw a innovative solutions companies IP (<-- Who i blocked) since they are to cheap to upgrade the network, so using firewall you block the problem IP to force a reroute and get improved bandwidth.

I can not say for certain this is the solution, nor can i guarantee trying such a thing would not cause more issues, as long as you understand how to reverse blocking an IP if it did cause an issue it may be worth a shot.

Edit: 65.98.144.35 = http://www.telepacific.com/ take what you want from it but looks like a leech to me....

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#23 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

Traffic shaping is a scandal indeed!  in this specific instance it is unlikely as at least two of us in different countries report the same hop and IP giving high latency and dropped packets.

Nic's ISP may indeed be shaping traffic, his latency within his ISP is fairly good though so not too much of a problem. I know mine shape - but it does not effect MC data fortunately.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#24 nicbooth

nicbooth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:43 AM

My ISP is a really small company, in-fact I speak to the owner every now and again. They wouldn't shape me without letting me know first, especially since I'm not a heavy user. They do however have quite frequent network issues.

Cap'n, it's totally not unreasonable to throttle or even drop the type of traffic (ICMP) which is typically used by most common traceroute programs. Reason being these type of packets have no practical use, hence they're often marked with a low priority. You can however use a program like hping instead of your built in ping or traceroute program. Hping will let you test latency between two hosts using protocols other than ICMP, and hence may give you a more accurate idea of the way your traffic is being handled.

#25 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

Must be great to have an isp that you can actually talk to 8)

I agree that ping traffic is given a low priority, I block it...  but I do suspect there is more to this than meets the eye with nlayer. Those who rent/provide to resellers cloud services seem always to be running "on the edge" to me.

I wasn't aware that you knew about this stuff, hence my suggestion to use traceroute which is not an ideal tool for that very reason, yes Hping, I dont have access to a Windoze or Linux machine at the moment and getting it compiled on a Mac is more than I have energy for! Would be interesting if you have it available to check those hops out?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#26 skydealer

skydealer
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 256 posts
  • LocationUSA - Winston, GA

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

I don't know if the ipconfig /release ,/renew and /flushdns commands would do any good but it may be worth a try.

#27 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

It seems as tho ISP's like to throttle connections and sometimes use 3rd party companies to do so, it is possible you are being directed threw a bottleneck intentionally to regulate your bandwidth, case in point i was having bandwidth issues with streaming videos from youtube, so i did some research and found this post. Stop throttling! Basically what was happening was my ISP was indeed throttling my connection by routing me threw a innovative solutions companies IP (<-- Who i blocked) since they are to cheap to upgrade the network, so using firewall you block the problem IP to force a reroute and get improved bandwidth.

I can not say for certain this is the solution, nor can i guarantee trying such a thing would not cause more issues, as long as you understand how to reverse blocking an IP if it did cause an issue it may be worth a shot.

Edit: 65.98.144.35 = http://www.telepacific.com/ take what you want from it but looks like a leech to me....

OMG!!!!

This link, that you posted really, truly WORKED! It was such a MIND BLOWING experience!! I've never been able to run Youtube as smoothly - ever!! I've always had to lower the quality to 240 or less to be able to even load it. Now it runs at the highest quality without problems! Thank you soooo much!! lol, wow <3   *Sharing to all friends*

Now I just need to figure out how to block certain IPs with my firewall. I really want to see if I can get it to reroute that way - would be completely awesome!

Thank you, Nek!

Posted Image

#28 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

I've never been able to run Youtube as smoothly - ever!!

Thank you, Nek!

I felt the same way Sun, been a few months and all has been well, however i have had a few instances of buffering lately so i hope it is just a fluke or maybe they caught onto me bypassing their evil ways to get the bandwidth i pay for.  With the huge surge of portable devices that are internet capable such as smart phones in recent years the isp networks haven't been able to keep up, well it's more like these big companies don't want to spend the money on infrastucture to keep up. Without throttling or traffic shaping as Captain put it, (whatever the technical name is) there would not be enough bandwidth for everyone with the current loads the trunk lines can carry. Bottle necking the major streaming websites is an easy cheap solution. But we as paying customers are being robbed of what is promised.

Hopefully your minecraft experience can be just as easily fixed.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#29 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

Another note, i have quite a few item frames within my storeroom, so if i am near it i tend to have a high number of entities when looking towards it, patientmammel linked me this fix for item frame lag, i haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising for reducing some lag.

http://www.minecraft...-frame-lag-fix/

#30 nicbooth

nicbooth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Would be interesting if you have it available to check those hops out?

root@eeebox:/home/nick# hping3 -p 80 -V 69.31.127.46
using ppp0, addr: [redacted], MTU: 1492
HPING 69.31.127.46 (ppp0 69.31.127.46): NO FLAGS are set, 40 headers + 0 data bytes
len=40 ip=69.31.127.46 ttl=56 DF id=54338 tos=60 iplen=40
sport=80 flags=RA seq=0 win=0 rtt=254.3 ms
seq=0 ack=2054045344 sum=2884 urp=1

len=40 ip=69.31.127.46 ttl=56 DF id=54368 tos=60 iplen=40
sport=80 flags=RA seq=1 win=0 rtt=269.6 ms
seq=0 ack=1208535671 sum=b62a urp=1

So I think pretty safe to say nlayer is not causing any issues.

#31 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

I feel like Dougal in Father Ted.

"Ya...

Nlayer..."

#32 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

Yup agreed not too shabby pings. My bad I assumed too much without the evidence.

Apologies to nlayer.

Tim - DRINK!!!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#33 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I saw some of the worst (or at least the most annoying) lag I have ever experienced on Sunday (June 16) on 60G.  When I was walking it was like taking 3 steps, freeze, take 3 steps, freeze, take 3 steps...

This happened in the Wilds and also around the central hub when I came back, but a minecart seemed to run fine.  I don't know if it was due to some server activity or a poor network at the time.  I have never had it make me do the hop, skip walk before.  Hope it was a transient thing, it was very annoying.

There were about 10-12 players on a the time.

#34 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

There were about 10-12 players on a the time.

I've noticed the lag increases with the numbers of players on. I have to break the blocks twice while mining etc. (Wish I could get the twice amount of ores as well, lol)

Posted Image

#35 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

my mind has just fried reading this thread - ouch

Posted Image

#36 MoonExit

MoonExit
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 95 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Nationality:American

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

You're around lava, been killing mobs progressively one at a time and hearing more through the walls when suddenly it becomes silent and the blocks you break no longer drop ores...

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-

Posted Image

#37 nicbooth

nicbooth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

You're around lava, been killing mobs progressively one at a time and hearing more through the walls when suddenly it becomes silent and the blocks you break no longer drop ores...

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-

Hahaha true story! 

#38 Mister_Ross

Mister_Ross
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 59 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

I'm not sure if this counts as lag but I've had terrible trouble logging in the last few days and when I finally log in I'm in black space for a few minutes, then the world loads but will only load a certain area (if I try to move outside that area I can't), I can't open chests or use crafting tables and furnaces, monsters and animals don't load -- sometimes I will even be attacked by a mob that is totally invisible to me -- I'll spawn on a different floor to the one I was on when I logged out then suddenly snap to the floor I was on, I'll wander around a bit then be snapped back to where I was when I logged in, or kicked and then when I log back in I'm in the same position, etc.

Oddly it seems to be mainly during the day, and I notice that at times it happens there are only one or two other people on. This has lead to me logging in at night to work on the public wool farm I've been making, I'm not sure if there's no lag at night because more people are on or if it's because it's "off peak" for the UK or something, but it's just the pattern I've noticed the last couple of days.

I can't tell if it's my end or the server's end, but if it helps my internet connection seems to be fine, youtube streams at high quality, etc. and I have no issues on single player.

Anyone have any suggestions? or know what could be causing this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users