#21 axmandan

axmandan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 522 posts
  • Nationality:American

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

I'm an Introvert. I would never go to a club or bar on my own. Why subject myself to people who won't affect me? I can talk to people one on one easily, It's great hordes of people that bother me. I rarely say things unless I feel I have a reason to say it. For example look to the left: You see my number of posts? I've less than most of the other vets, this is because during discussions I won't bother to say anything unless I have somthing to add. I can't just repeat what someone else has said in different words and feel like its a discussion. Yet I check the forums multiple times a day and read it all. I'm here, I just lurk till I'm needed (Remember just like stake I'm always watching). I actually have to force myself to reinforce other people's opinions, somtimes it's just so ray knows more than one person agrees with it.

My cousin once dragged me to a party. I followed him around like a lost puppy and when he left me alone I stood awkwardly in the corner till I decided to leave early. It was noisy, (There is a point where music stops being music when it's too loud) It was full of people I didn't know or care about and it was a waste of time. I like (some) people, I don't like crowds; I like music but I don't like noise. I could spend hours discussing philosophy or debating somthing with you, but I can't just talk for the sake of doing so. I think an important question to ask here is: Does silence make you uncomfortable when you're around people?

"Ax is quiet like a fox but he will ATTACK if needed." -Stacy

#22 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

I'm a goal oriented semi-social introvert (yaay for a new made up term!)

I don't look for validation from others for my personal beliefs and I really don't care if people think I'm right or wrong. Although I love getting opinions on things (Like my texture pack) because I want constructive feedback to improve my abilities. But that could be in part that I'm probably borderline narcissistic. I really only care about improving myself, but I don't care what *you* think about the outcome, that's my business. I also really don't socialize for the sake of socializing or really care if you think I'm wrong. But, I do always strive to improve myself and my abilities so I enjoy getting critical constructive feedback.

To me socializing for socializing's sake is a total waste of time. But, I won't deny it completely, I just avoid it because I simply just don't care at all. So, while I'll go out to eat with my friends or see a movie typically I'd rather be at home working on my texture pack, playing minecraft, studying, or doing something I feel benefits me directly with some sort of end-purpose or outcome. Doing things like "hanging out with friends in the backyard with a beer" is completely pointless (and simply boring) so I have no interest in doing it what so ever. Now, if me and my friends are working together to a common goal of some kind? Totally on board.

Socializing just isn't a priority to me, I have no real social anxiety of any kind anymore, I can typically talk to just about anyone and from my perspective I seem to be a friendly kinda guy as far as I can tell.  I just don't go out of my way to socialize. You will never see me in a bar, a club, or just wandering aimlessly around. Basically, whatever I'm doing needs purpose. It doesn't even have to be purpose specifically for me, but it needs purpose else it's pointless. ;)

Well, once the dementia sets in I might do some more aimless wandering. :D

EDIT: I also took that personality test you mentioned about a year or 2 back just for fun, I came out a strong INFJ (apparently the rarest type, less than 1% of the total population.)

Seriously Ray?? I'm an INFJ also!! I've never met another INFJ. Because....you know...we ARE the title. :P

Supposedly, we are the ones who can supposedly communicate with otherworldly beings. LOL woot! Let's be ghost hunters! :P

Now...why can't I get those darn ghasts to listen to me?!

Well, if these personality tests have any actual backing (and to be honest, it's all pseudoscience) I would guess a lot of Sg'ers are INFJs (or INs in general) by nature, because most of us are highly intellectual outside the box thinkers who are willingly isolate ourselves from large social groups because we simply don't need them.

I do agree with Ray here, these tests should be taken with a large tablespoon helping of salt if you really want to determine your personality upon them. They are fairly accurate in feeding back to your attitudes(E/I) and information interpretation functions(N/S), but it is largely subject to influence when it comes to determining your information judgement functions(T/F)(J/P). 

#23 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US
  • Nationality:Irish-American

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

I don't look for validation from others for my personal beliefs and I really don't care if people think I'm right or wrong. Although I love getting opinions on things (Like my texture pack) because I want constructive feedback to improve my abilities. But that could be in part that I'm probably borderline narcissistic. I really only care about improving myself, but I don't care what *you* think about the outcome, that's my business. I also really don't socialize for the sake of socializing or really care if you think I'm wrong. But, I do always strive to improve myself and my abilities so I enjoy getting critical constructive feedback.

To me socializing for socializing's sake is a total waste of time. But, I won't deny it completely, I just avoid it because I simply just don't care at all. So, while I'll go out to eat with my friends or see a movie typically I'd rather be at home working on my texture pack, playing minecraft, studying, or doing something I feel benefits me directly with some sort of end-purpose or outcome. Doing things like "hanging out with friends in the backyard with a beer" is completely pointless (and simply boring) so I have no interest in doing it what so ever. Now, if me and my friends are working together to a common goal of some kind? Totally on board.

Socializing just isn't a priority to me, I have no real social anxiety of any kind anymore, I can typically talk to just about anyone and from my perspective I seem to be a friendly kinda guy as far as I can tell.  I just don't go out of my way to socialize. You will never see me in a bar, a club, or just wandering aimlessly around. Basically, whatever I'm doing needs purpose. It doesn't even have to be purpose specifically for me, but it needs purpose else it's pointless. ;)

EDIT: I also took that personality test you mentioned about a year or 2 back just for fun, I came out a strong INFJ (apparently the rarest type, less than 1% of the total population.)

Seriously Ray?? I'm an INFJ also!! I've never met another INFJ. Because....you know...we ARE the title. :P

Supposedly, we are the ones who can supposedly communicate with otherworldly beings. LOL woot! Let's be ghost hunters! :P

Well, if these personality tests have any actual backing (and to be honest, it's all pseudoscience) I would guess a lot of Sg'ers are INFJs (or INs in general) by nature, because most of us are highly intellectual outside the box thinkers who are willingly isolate ourselves from large social groups because we simply don't need them.

I do agree with Ray here, these tests should be taken with a large tablespoon helping of salt if you really want to determine your personality upon them. They are fairly accurate in feeding back to your attitudes(E/I) and information interpretation functions(N/S), but it is largely subject to influence when it comes to determining your information judgement functions(T/F)(J/P). 

I agree with that, but at the same time, for as many years as I've been an INFJ, I think nearly every part of that has wavered expect Judging. So even though it may be based on influence, I believe we create our own opinions based on influence at a fairly young age, especially if we are introverts, because we are less likely to join some radical cause in college that would completely change our views. 

Or maybe I'm just a judgmental jerk. :P

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Posted Image

#24 AvalonXai

AvalonXai
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 486 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Do you know what your percentage for P was? I've taken the test a few times over the last few years and everything stays the same apart from my ideas on perception, it seems I vere more towards judgement when I'm either in a bad mood or under stress.

Well, I actually took the test on a site that didn't give percentages, but I came up with INTP, and after reading through the different personalities, it definitely sounded the most like me. You did make me curious, however, so I took the test on a separate site. The results said I am INTJ, but when I read through the different personalities on the new site, I still feel like I fit into the INTP category.

#25 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Do you know what your percentage for P was? I've taken the test a few times over the last few years and everything stays the same apart from my ideas on perception, it seems I vere more towards judgement when I'm either in a bad mood or under stress.

Well, I actually took the test on a site that didn't give percentages, but I came up with INTP, and after reading through the different personalities, it definitely sounded the most like me. You did make me curious, however, so I took the test on a separate site. The results said I am INTJ, but when I read through the different personalities on the new site, I still feel like I fit into the INTP category.

Like Ray said earlier, grain of salt. Especially if the site only asked like 75 questions? The test I took as a teen had something like 300 questions which was great because it was obvious after that many questions, asked in a variety of ways, that you were X personality. I could only find short ones online yesterday, which seemed kind of cheap. Like those 5 question polls to determine which Disney Princess you are. :P 

Posted Image

#26 jstewart405

jstewart405
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 64 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Like Ray said earlier, grain of salt. Especially if the site only asked like 75 questions? The test I took as a teen had something like 300 questions which was great because it was obvious after that many questions, asked in a variety of ways, that you were X personality. I could only find short ones online yesterday, which seemed kind of cheap. Like those 5 question polls to determine which Disney Princess you are. :P

LOL yeah, the ones I've taken had way more questions. And like all personality tests, it just depends on the day and mood. :P

#27 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

This

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Forer_effect

Posted Image

#28 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

This

That's why I don't read horoscopes and scoff and fortune cookies. :P Although, I am a very proud Gemini... The mind boggles. 

Posted Image

#29 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

This

Exactly. ;)

the MB personality test follows these same rules, it's just hand tailored to your questions. For example, if you answer a ton of introvert-related questions it'll spit out something kinda introverty that applies to most everyone who's an introvert.

I bet if you read these personality types, not knowing what one is what, you would probably still relate to it somehow. For example, the "INFJ" is an idealist activist (Like Martin Luthor King). Who here hasn't been compassionate about *something* controversial that the majority disagreed with you on?  ...exactly :D

sig.png

#30 abeautifulday

abeautifulday
  • Applicant
  • Tree Puncher

• 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Well that's odd because I'm an INFJ as well....  =D 

#31 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

I've been scored as an INTJ which seems to fit me (noting the 'pinch of salt' comments above)

But, in recent years, I've tried hard to challenge myself to change a little, mostly by putting myself into situations that I find intensely uncomfortable (e.g. Leading school assemblies for several hundred students and staff) It's been fairly effective - I've become a lot less apprehensive of things that would have had me peeing my pants in the past. But, still, in my heart, I'd rather keep myself to myself!

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#32 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

I've been scored as an INTJ which seems to fit me (noting the 'pinch of salt' comments above)

But, in recent years, I've tried hard to challenge myself to change a little, mostly by putting myself into situations that I find intensely uncomfortable (e.g. Leading school assemblies for several hundred students and staff) It's been fairly effective - I've become a lot less apprehensive of things that would have had me peeing my pants in the past. But, still, in my heart, I'd rather keep myself to myself!

Probably the best thing you can do too, I've learned the best way to overcome anything in your life is to jump right into the middle of it.

The road to the little city of Success has many pit stops in Failure City. ;)

sig.png

#33 qw0x

qw0x
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 210 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
  • Nationality:Moose

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

On the topic of a large serving of salt, I have a friend who is very much a Myers Briggs enthusiast. What she said is that while the online tests can be helpful, the way to really find your personality type is to look through the in-depth descriptions (like multiple pages in depth, no paragraph long quick looks or synopsis :) ) and see what fits you best!
I took an online test that told me that I was an ENTJ, so I looked it up but I found that it didn't quite fit my personality. I did a few different tests and read a few descriptions, and can confidently call myself an ISTP.
I find that it also synergizes fairly well with my pragmatic and semi Machiavellian tendencies. :)

Bam Schematix, I necro'd this post before you could!
The word 'onomatopoeia' is an onomatopoeia because it's derived from the sound that is made when the word is spoken aloud.

#34 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Bam Schematix, I necro'd this post before you could!

I was in fact looking it over earlier today, then I thought to myself, nah, necro'd enough. I'm also glad you've recognized my necroing. Thanks for doing it for me, bub.

I took the test and I got a weak INFJ. I looked it over and it just didn't seem right. I read through some similar types and ISFP felt like it fit me best. Doesn't mean a peep though, people have quirks! 

The road to the little city of Success has many pit stops in Failure City.  ;)

Jake+The+Dog.jpg

Smile! :)

#35 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:24 PM

I'm not one for labelling or organising people according to personality, but I do find it interesting how people see and experience themselves.

I notice that a lot of the introversion I come across is a result of underlying problems such as anxiety and shyness, but I feel that anxiety for me has had no real impact on my personality other than the fact that it drives me away from the situations which I feel I would never have went for anyway. I know a lot of people who identify themselves as introverts that work in bars and nightclubs happily, while I after a few months had to quit because of stress. I also know some who would identify as an extrovert with a great desire to communicate and socialise, but are hounded by anxiety to the point where they can't. So my understanding of this would be to say that your personality is more about what you think than what you do.

I have no specific question to ask here, but it would but interesting to hear the community's thoughts on personality traits, how they came about and how they are experienced.

Many interesting points here Fore!

May I reword the point about "It's not what you do but what you think"....Very good point! I always think of it as it's not what we 'do'....but 'what we are'.

As far as 'introvert/extravert'.....I don't identify with such labels and it seems like you don't either?

Such labels are a manifestation of dualistic thinking which is common in our society. To me it is one of the aspects of psychology that has been misguided or misrepresented. In my opinion, no one is simply 'one way'. I like what Edward de Bono said: "If we never 'change' our mind, what is the purpose of having a mind at all?"

One of the biggest flaws in human thinking is that there is anything wrong with either 'introvert' or 'extravert'. They are 2 aspects of the same thing. More so, I believe we need an equal balance of these mind states in order to be whole and complete.

Above all this, we need to know all about 'ourselves' more than any thing that is knowable in the universe.

Admittedly I am very late to this discussion but I just thought it was worth uncovering. What are you views?

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#36 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

Interestingly enough I've never been able to fit in one of these, mainly depending on how tried I am when I do it.

2am in the morning tried: INFJ, this is also around the time I think rewriting Banana Boat into a song about potatoes growing is a wonderful way to past the time!

I just woke up: INTP. Not even sure with this one probably something about being more easily annoyed.

The rest of the day: INTJ, I think this all should be taken with a grain of salt...

I don't really this test works out very well for me.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#37 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

You are most wise young Zac :) I took two different tests, ended up with two different results.

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#38 vedisdragon

vedisdragon
  • Pip
  • Applicant
  • Log

• 124 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

I've never got consistent results on those tests besides I :P

I think the main difference between an introvert and an extrovert is that introverts spend energy when socializing, and extroverts gain energy by socializing.

I like talking to people but every now and then I take a day for myself to eat and game and sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users