Photo

The big "move-horse-to-main-world"-adventure!

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#41 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Well all i can say is it was an historic event, if someone suggested such a method i would have said there is no way it would work. Congratulations to those who pioneered this effort and brought new and exciting changes to the main map without the need of administrative assistance.

I am sure there will always be new roundups in the future to bring back the most epic horses.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#42 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

"... the horses go through the portal but you will not ..."

Can someone please explain why this is? Just curious.

#43 Katiebartl

Katiebartl
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 104 posts
  • LocationPinole, California
  • Nationality:American

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

Great job, everyone!

#44 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

I found a horse in my stall when I returned today to breed one.... if it was a gift from someone thank you so much! Please reveal your identity!  If it was not a gift and 'twas there for safe keeping and you want it back just PM me or chat in game. She is well fed and exercised meanwhile  8)

PS I added fencing around the stables area as we were getting lots of mobs in that attack the horses, if you find any zombies & skellies come into the area please try and find the route and block it off  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#45 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:20 AM

Great work, fencing the area in, Capt!  (Btw, also love the idea you talked about - hope to see it come alive! ;) )

And I saw that someone made an "outlook tower" (dirt block stairs) next to the pen? It gives a really nice view over all the horses and their colors/patterns!  Maybe we could refine this "building" into a more substantial one with the same purpose? 

Posted Image

#46 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

No problem, durn zombies like those horses.  My idea is to build a "Steeplechase" race course, a largish oval race track, fairly wide with hedge jumps - could be great fun! Horses then have added entertainment value  8) And maybe betting too  ;)

There seems to be some spare land the far side of the horse pen, it has a strange cobble square building with no door on it just now- maybe that could be for the 60G Horse Race Course?

I saw those steps Sun, I may improve on it a bit later - but of course the plan is to perhaps redevelop the whole area with bigger stables and so on anyway so don't want to make a viewing tower that's too grand.... 

Can we  move the "Equestrian Centre" idea on a bit? Coogz I use your builders supplies too, very useful!  If it could be resited that would be great  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#47 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

After thinking about it I'll retract my offer to move my builder/lumber yard... Rumours are there are great oil deposits down below ground level! :P (cant give up on that)

A dedicated site a bit further out would be better suited for a few different horse related builds? That leaves the current stables which could either be used for personal horse storage by a view people or demolished later for houses etc.

#48 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

My idea is to build a "Steeplechase" race course, a largish oval race track, fairly wide with hedge jumps - could be great fun! Horses then have added entertainment value  8) And maybe betting too   ;)

I think it's an awesome idea, and it will not just bring lots of fun - it'll be a great place to practice the maneuver skills too!

(Could even add some targets along the tracks, to practice shooting from the horse back.)

Posted Image

#49 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

Fair enough Cooogz, frack away!  ;)

I think Northfields is a good idea, more space for a Centre of some kind.   More opinions?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#50 merlinver

merlinver
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 143 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Northfields is the area that was just converted from sand to dirt? I'm lost without the live map....If it's that area and we want to keep it open for new players, what about the sand area next to it that wasn't converted?

Regarding the zombie/skele attacks - there *are* zombie & skeleton horses in the game but apparently dont show up naturally (only by using mods). I'm guessing the zombies are coded to convert them like they do villagers and there's similar programming for skeles. We're probably not at risk of losing them all, but it's best to be pro-active. I haven't seen the attacks, but I'm guessing that even if they dont convert them the could kill them.

Maybe that's where the missing donkey went?

Changes aren't permanent.
But change is.

#51 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Additional space can be "dirtified" I'm sure  8)

You may be right there about the mob attraction to horses, the fencing seems to have reduced the mob incursions for now.

The donkey may have escaped, I arrived at the pen today and there was an unsaddled horse just the wrong side of the gate, looking embarrassed. There was one top piece of fence missing immediately to the left of the gates, I believe he and perhaps the donkey jumped over there.

Seperately, I looked in Root's stall and saw that the single chest was broken and floating- I could only find 2 leather there, I surmise that horses can smash chests! Need to be aware of that, I put  Root's and then my stall chest up higher as a precaution.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#52 MoonExit

MoonExit
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 95 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Nationality:American

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

"... the horses go through the portal but you will not ..."

Can someone please explain why this is? Just curious.

Allow me to attempt at an explanation, even though I am nowhere near an expert on all this.

The main cause why the end portal won't work is a Bukkit plugin changing how worlds are linked, like how we have wilderness and nether, but also perpetual end. Stepping on a "legit" wilderness end portal in a discovered fortress is just like stepping through air with a pretty effect that you can't see through.

With a little experimentation, we found that items will travel through it, to our own end world. And that experimentation continued to entities such as cows, villagers, etc. So, you have to move the horses into the legit wilderness end portal in order to move them into our end world, and then move them to the dragon's grave portal to our main world.

A bit more of info: we also thought we had to have another player in the end, to receive the horses being brought through, to kind of guide them, and mainly keep them from falling off into nothingness. However, it seems we may not need another person, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. Same goes from the end to the main world.

Hope this clears things up :o

Also big thanks all of you, I love doing everything I can to help out! :D

Posted Image

#53 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

So, if I find an end portal in SIngle Player, it normally would bring me to the end, but this one in our wilds is different because of other server settings. Ok, thanks.

#54 Void_Chameleon

Void_Chameleon
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 24 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

horses in leads can still "do it"

*Giggle*

I have been Googling and I can't find a straight answer: Can donkeys/mules run as fast/jump as high as horses? It is theorized that a horse *can* jump as far as 12 blocks and run faster than a minecart. What I wonder is if donkeys/mules *can* also possibly reach these plateaus, or if they are innately less-than a horse.

Based on what I could understand from minecraftwiki.net, all horse speeds and jump heights are determined upon spawning and are completely random. The type of horse (including mules/donkeys) and parents have no affect on how fast the horse can run or high it can jump.

#55 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yep we can still keep the new grassy bits for players and there is still quite a lot of desert left to use.

#56 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hm, there's another problem that might need to be addressed a little -

People are just taking horses out of the public pen instead of using them for breeding their own foals as intended. This will result in a less varied group of horses to breed on, and it will limit the outcome of colors and patterns. Right now, plain blacks and whites are missing, but I know we brought those over.

Is there a way to solve this issue somehow?

Posted Image

#57 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm not certain that they are being taken in that way, I was around a lot today and few people were on until recently. Please also check Root's stall - I posted earlier about how his chest was smashed and there was a horse and a donkey, well a couple of hours later I looked in and there was only a black in there, no donkey...  is that correct??

They could be vanishing?? They are bugy.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#58 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

Yea, it is confirmed that horses and donkeys are very glitchy, but I'm gonna be stubborn and say that the reduced number of unique individuals in the pen is probably a combination of both glitches and people removing horses instead of breeding on them.

I really don't want to bother people about this to be honest, but at the same time I want everyone to have a fair chance to get exactly the good, nice looking horse/donkey/mule they desire.

Maybe I'm overdoing it, idk.

Posted Image

#59 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

I kinda doubt that anyone on here has just taken horses without asking. But you never know.

I've yet to find a "wild" horse. Want to find my own before breeding but not had any luck as yet :(

#60 Sun_Exit

Sun_Exit
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 276 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Third team

A nice picture of the third team; AvalonXai, Cap_Dikkop, MacFlea!

They brought 8 animals in total, with new fresh colors and the missing donkey!

Such an awesome, great work you guys! Thank you!

The arrival at main hub!

3WgP3.jpg

Traffic jam at the hub gate!

3WB9Y.jpg

Cap_Dikkop with the missed donkey and the first donkey foal on 60G main

3WBj4.jpg

With their addition there's now a really nice set up of hores to breed on at the public farm!

3WBoX.jpg

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users