Photo

Minecraft, SixtyGig, Your Stuff, and You.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: New or Old (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you give everything up to be able to build in the Next Gen Map?

1. Yes the new generation is worth it. (15 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. I would if the majority voted to but im happy as it is. (11 votes [31.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.43%

3. Either way could care less. (2 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

4. It would upset me and would rather not. (3 votes [8.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

5. I would throw a major fit and fight it the whole way. (2 votes [5.71%] - View)

6. I would quit without a moments hesitation cause my chest of flint is priceless. (2 votes [5.71%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

After viewing the latest snapshot on Docm77's channel i liked the new biomes, plants, and items they are planning to add to the next generation of map generation. My personal feelings about where we stand today and what the next generation of terrain features include that our server would feel "outdated" and "bland" missing out on having so many new and exciting things in the environment. Doc's video included some new fish, but i would be willing to bet that Mojang is planning to add a number of new creatures as well when 1.7 comes out which likely would not spawn in the existing map.

Looking around in the new snapshot myself brought back a lot of old memories, those memories were of the beautiful mountains, and deep valleys that would generate in 1.3 beta when i first started playing, the thrill and excitement of what wonders lay beyond the next mountain range, tremendous and spectacular waterfalls, and lava falls alike.

I am the type of person that is not afraid of change, i look forward to fresh starts and not dragging a bunch of unnecessary items around that i no longer need just to say "i have those in a box in the attic i haven't touched in 10 years"

So what i want to know is how willing would our members be to give up everything, their fancy builds, their hordes of loot, everything they have put hours and hours of effort into. Give up everything that you have ever contributed to your time on SixtyGig to once again have that sense of wonder and the struggles one can have starting out fresh.

If Ray said "were starting over tomorrow on a map 4 times bigger" once 1.7 came out how would you feel? Could you lose your pack-rat mentalities and start fresh with nothing more than your bare fists? Would you be so frustrated that leaving all that hard work and loads and loads of packed full chests behind that you would quit minecraft forever? In the past we packed our bags and moved, but what if that was not an option.

Here is a poll to ask is everything you have ever worked on that important, or could you see its value for what it truly is 0's and 1's and move forward to a new life of survival and exploration?

Just look at this awesomeness that is coming out in the next few months.

Deep mountain valleys

Spoiler

Sandy beaches with shallow tidal pools

Spoiler

Towering mountains

Spoiler

Turtle rock

Spoiler

Awesome vistas

Spoiler

Ice spike plains

Spoiler

New forest types (Birch & Roofed)

Spoiler

Flowers flowers everywhere

Spoiler

Colorful swampland & Stony outcrops

Spoiler

Jagged shorelines

Spoiler

This is not a debate, i didn't post this for complaints, or to hear how much you could not live without your diamond pyramid. I posted this to see if it's the game you love, or the items you have and the things you built that matter most to you.

EDIT: I wanted to add that a fresh start would actually give meaning and value to basically every item in the game, even low level enchantments.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Snugglequine

Snugglequine
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 193 posts
  • Nationality:Cornish

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Apparently I don't have permission to vote.

But anyway, I would vote for yes. 

I've been bored of Minecraft recently, my current project has gotten the better of me for now and I'm not feeling like going back to it any time soon. What I used to do when this would happen is start another project altogether, however the ones I have in mind require terrain that is somewhat unavailable due to the busy world we already have. I entirely understand that a lot of folk won't want to leave their builds behind, heck I don't feel like leaving Kelsa-Argon behind after all the work I've put into it. But if the choice for me is "wait anther couple of months to play, because Kelsa is the only thing you can do." or, "get a new world, and start cool new stuff!" .. then I'd sure as hell choose the latter.

Besides, starting again does have it's perks. With the amount of us there is I'm fairly certain that some folk will have the ingenuity to pick certain spots, and facilitate certain trade options. Some people could start of pretty well if they start in a decent place and sell a bunch of resources to others who don't feel like getting masses of materials to rebuild their favourite things.

My vote is Yes, then. I feel we should restart. Take pictures and videos of our builds to remember them when we get nostalgic, and go and start making new memories.

#3 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

"Sorry, you don't have permission for that"

What have I done to upset you, Nek?!

P.S. Wanted to vote for change (option 1). My investment in builds is minimal compared to some of you, so I am pretty happy to walk away and start again. I would like to be able to take my minor stash of stuff with me (I've about 20 double chests of things that I have worked hard enough for that I'd miss them). But if I couldn't take it, I'd not lose any sleep.

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#4 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

sorry i was lied to...

You can vote now!

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

It says I don't have permission to vote but I'd say I'm happy to do whatever with the majority, but I'm happy as it is. I haven't built, well, anything yet so I've got nothing to lose, but I wouldn't want to see the long term unfinished projects of others called to waste if it lost them any sleep.

I like the new biomes and features and would be fun to explore from scratch with everyone, and in terms of further building I would like to do a mountain-side base at some point which would be best in the new terrain; but I can't say I'm upset with what is available at the moment. 

So yes, count me in as long as we're all happy in some form.

#6 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

I would probably quit - What is the point in spending months building something if it is gone overnight?

It's happened three times already.  If there was a world edit way or a portal to a place with the precious things sure.  But MONTHS of work  gone again?

I'll not be staying.

Posted Image

#7 Red_Letters

Red_Letters
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 76 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Even though my eye twitches at the thought of losing all my digging (don't care about items)- I'd be ok with starting new.  

It's all about the people and the building, not hoarding everything forever.

If this were to happen - completely clean slate is the way to go.  No transferring of ANYTHING - items, builds, etc.

#8 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

1. I have no investment in the present builds

2. I would if the majority agree

3. Either way is fine

4. It would bother me but would rather not argue

5. I would hate it as I have spent months on builds and am bothered that this is only being portrayed as a fit

6  I am pissed off that the only reason to be opposed is portrayed as a selfish mats grab

If the original question is genuine and not an insulting piss take, I've obviously been wasting my time

Posted Image

#9 rasamalai

rasamalai
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

I'd suggest everyone made a new profile and tried the snapshot.

I did all day today and honestly it looked like a regular custom world, not all that pretty to be honest, although I did love the flowers and new fish, as well as the enchanted fishing rod, but other than that I can find mods like tekkit or feed the beast far much more exciting than today's snapshot.

I'm not voting until I know more about the real quality involved in the future update. Seriously, going through all the trouble of making new biomes etc and not even having proper trees for each? (I don't like jungle logs with oak leaf blocks in a Savannah biome, that can be gotten with a custom map, give me a REAL update please -@Mojang-)

Edit: I also loved the new menu options, one I couldn't figure out but… oh well.

#10 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

1. I have no investment in the present builds

2. I would if the majority agree

3. Either way is fine

4. It would bother me but would rather not argue

5. I would hate it as I have spent months on builds and am bothered that this is only being portrayed as a fit

6  I am pissed off that the only reason to be opposed is portrayed as a selfish mats grab

If the original question is genuine and not an insulting piss take, I've obviously been wasting my time

Well i was joking around Simon, option 4 was for the not to be offended but i am against it. Maybe you should check your meds they don't seem to be working. I am not apologizing cause obviously you can't take sarcasm..

#11 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

I'd suggest everyone made a new profile and tried the snapshot.

I did all day today and honestly it looked like a regular custom world, other than that I can find mods like tekkit or feed the beast far much more exciting than today's snapshot.

I've played FTB which is essentially the same as Tekkit and they do have some really nice biome generation, but we are a vanilla server, the question isn't whether the generation looks better than a custom map, it's whether it is better than the current generation that our server is based off, and whether with what we have seen so far looks better than and is worth a hypothetical reset. Keep in mind the snapshot generation is still a work in progress, with each new snapshot i am sure the code will be tweaked.

#12 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

Maybe you should check your meds they don't seem to be working. 

And what is an insult going to do to help the situation?

#13 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

Maybe you should check your meds they don't seem to be working. 

And what is an insult going to do to help the situation?

He overreacted to the situation, if i can't razz him about it then that is his problem.

#14 rasamalai

rasamalai
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

I've played FTB which is essentially the same as Tekkit and they do have some really nice biome generation, but we are a vanilla server, the question isn't whether the generation looks better than a custom map, it's whether it is better than the current generation that our server is based off, and whether with what we have seen so far looks better than and is worth a hypothetical reset. Keep in mind the snapshot generation is still a work in progress, with each new snapshot i am sure the code will be tweaked.

As far as I remember the biomes looked exactly the same both on tekkit and FTB than vanilla did in 1.2.5

What made them more interesting than regular vanilla were the mobs, the crafting recipes and the crops! (Plus microblocks pretty much rock all on their own)

I really think the "server" can be either referred to as the map main spawn is on or the community that plays on it. So which one are you talking about? The map would be available for download according to Ray. The community depends on how we treat each other. It makes me uncomfortable to see you feel the need to "razz" people for whatever reason, you could also take the high road, maybe you over reacted?

In any case, the new biomes generation, as pretty (or ugly, some according to me) are, don't really excite me that much, I've played on much better custom worlds than any of the maps I loaded on creative today. I liked the "new stuff" more than I did the maps.

And so I'm looking forward to more tweaking on Mojang's part.

#15 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

One of the reasons that drove me off other servers was that they were resetting their maps every few months ( the other being the hordes of teenage trolls ).

Given the fact that I tend to big build, resetting the map doesn't help me. It's not only the fact that it takes a lot to design and build, but also gathering the resources needed takes a lot of time as well.

I understand that - while I'm more interested in building - some people are more interested in exploring and admiring the landscapes.

So wouldn't it be possible to keep our main map as it is and use the wilds map, that resets every month, for people to explore and admire all the new biomes?

P.S.

Also I agree with simon that the poll - despite the intention to "look funny" - it seems biased towards the reset.

How would you feel if the poll was :

1. I don't care about building. Bring resets every time possible.

2. Other peoples builds get in the way of my exploring. We need to clear all the crap out.

3. I want to build my new 3x3 hut in an amazing new biome with a super cool view.

4. I want to be cool with other people so I'll do what they want.

5. Don't care.

6. I have invested a lot of time to build something interesting so I'd rather not see it lost.

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#16 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

First thoughts.

All that glitters is not gold, please let's not be so easily seduced by the "bling" of any biome changes or whatever Mojang introduces, that development won't ever stop... would we start over again and then again?  Oh you've already done that.....

That said, I don't have huge investment in personal builds, nor do I have personal wealth ( I have 2 diamonds...) and I dont give a damn about losing that.... but what I do have is a commitment to community and those things that personify that-  friendships, community builds, group activities, yes and fun, having a laugh with a remarkable group of people!

It's debatable wether the challenges of starting over would throw everyone into a deeper sense of community, or require that we struggle so hard to survive for months that we become isolated and individualistic.

Recognising that some have been here for a longish time and have a huge investment in resources and builds that would be hugely painful for them to give up, I find it impossible to vote for such a change... it would not hurt me badly but it would hurt others, some will leave - as a citizen of this planet 60G that is unacceptable.

What's important, self satisfaction or community?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#17 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

There would be tears, and alot of them. And I'm honestly not sure I have the stamina to start all over just for the sake of new biomes. I'd much rather expand the current map and stay in my little corner to build.

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#18 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

Thought I might throw this out here, since this seems the best place for it. It seems now *any* mountain-type terrain, including on our 1.6 map, *will* get snow above Y:100.

I wasn't sure if that true, but then I decided to load up an old backup of sixtygig and fly around. It seems any mountain-type biome (including on our already generated map areas) will now have snow above y:100.. Something to keep in mind about your builds in 1.7, regardless if a reset happens or not.

Here are some examples, obviously I didnt give the snow time to totally cover the ground, but you get the idea:

snowchange1.png

snowchange2.png

snowchange3.png

snowchange4.png

snowchange5.png

sig.png

#19 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

Personally I'd rather just see it in the wilds or as an expansion of the map (if that's possible without it looking messy). I think so much effort has gone into many of the builds that it's very demoralising to go back to square 1.

Is there a way to have the wilds map updated when 1.7 is out, so everyone can test it out and make a decision?

#20 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

The community depends on how we treat each other. It makes me uncomfortable to see you feel the need to "razz" people for whatever reason, you could also take the high road, maybe you over reacted?

See here's what perhaps you and perhaps others are not understanding, i am not here to start an argument, what isn't being conveyed are the intent of my emotions or personality threw my words. I was saying those things with a smile on my face, not out of anger, not cause i am trying to make anyone feel bad. Because i am playing around, i give people a hard time all day long, i tease, i make jokes, the difference is they know i am joking, picking on them in a playful manner, they can see the smile on my face, it's not that hard to not be offended by words, cause that is all they are. But at the same time i also understand that the written word can be interpreted in many ways, but i don't need to take the "high road"  and worry about being politically correct at every other sentence, the world is so screwed up from the "oh i may offend someone" mentality that everyone takes everything so serious, and out of context. Maybe some may see that as disrespectful, it's not and apologizing for unintended results is not going to make a difference. I like simon, i always have, but if he so desires to take a bias opinion as a complete insult and throw a tantrum then that is his prerogative. I can not stop that.

Like me or not, i am who i am, and i am not going to take baby steps my entire life to ensure everyone else is never put into an uncomfortable situation or takes offense to a joke, bad or not. We are all adults here, nobody needs the government to intervene against someone being a bully, god help us all when that day does come.

@ iliplayz and yes the poll was bias, i was intentionally poking fun because i know some people are super adamant against loosing the time they have invested in the server, but my builds and items, go burn it all down, take everything i have, cause it doesn't really matter to me, i see the time i invested in the server for what it is "wasted". But that is my choice, as it is everyone else's choice who plays here.

Also this entire topic was out of my curiosity, there were no discussions in any back rooms, i was curious how others felt about the upcoming terrain changes being i like where they are going compared to the current generation code, sure it needs work but i think they are on the right path for making everything blend better and having more interesting terrain. However if there was overwhelming support like 80% then maybe Ray would consider it and some people would lose out. I don't know that is his decision not mine.

As a final thought, i think a total reset would be better than patching some makeshift bandaid onto the existing map, having it in the wilds wouldn't give us the opportunity to have some "interesting" (bias opinion) terrain to build upon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users