• Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

CLICK TO ENLARGE AND SEE DETAIL!!

SGCDraft5.png

Current Status/Things To Do/Etc:

- Farmland area may start development (Daffy is missing, so someone can take up on that project)

- Crowtron University. (Talk to crow if you want to help)

- Houses/shops in any of the districts.

- Shops/Houses can also be placed within the Cathedral's area, that area wont *just* be the cathedral

sig.png

#2 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Can I make a couple of suggestions (even though I'm not yet involved directly)...?

I think:

• The cathedral might be better being more central to the city - pretty typical to have a city growing outwards from a centre of worship
  • The city walls might look better if they were a bit more 'organic' - i.e. following the features of the land a little more, with less long, straight runs (maybe with lookout towers acting as the change of direction points?)
  • There would typically be a market place / large square near / around the cathedral
  • Positions for city gates need to be picked (NSEW?) and the main thoroughfares defined (maybe radiating out from the central cathedral / sqaure)
  • Wealthy districts near the castle and/or cathedral. Typified by having small, decorative squares/gardens amongst them.

(Feel free to shoot these ideas down - I can take it!)

Also, to help:

• Great source of fantasy city maps for inspiration here
  • Excellent town layout tutorial here
  • Even more excellent city design walkthrough here

Good luck, and I'll see you on the map soon (once I've tied up my affairs on SG5)

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Can I make a couple of suggestions (even though I'm not yet involved directly)...?

I think:

• The cathedral might be better being more central to the city - pretty typical to have a city growing outwards from a centre of worship
  • The city walls might look better if they were a bit more 'organic' - i.e. following the features of the land a little more, with less long, straight runs (maybe with lookout towers acting as the change of direction points?)
  • There would typically be a market place / large square near / around the cathedral
  • Positions for city gates need to be picked (NSEW?) and the main thoroughfares defined (maybe radiating out from the central cathedral / sqaure)
  • Wealthy districts near the castle and/or cathedral. Typified by having small, decorative squares/gardens amongst them.

(Feel free to shoot these ideas down - I can take it!)

Also, to help:

• Great source of fantasy city maps for inspiration here
  • Excellent town layout tutorial here
  • Even more excellent city design walkthrough here

Good luck, and I'll see you on the map soon (once I've tied up my affairs on SG5)

Kidnapped some of your suggestions (and updated the map accordingly with my other changes) :P

The walls (and roads) will definite look more natural, those are just guidelines. ;)

sig.png

#4 axmandan

axmandan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 522 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Can I build the walls? I want to build the walls.

Also I would love some canals in the city that end in an estuary at the harbour.

"Ax is quiet like a fox but he will ATTACK if needed." -Stacy

#5 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Looks good, I recommend following the landscape than terraforming flat, it makes the build look more organic and natural. It always surprises me when great MC castle builders start with flat. Those great RL castles, towers and walls of Scotland and Ireland and other places with " up and down bits" are the examplar for me at least.

PS How about an ancient Prison/Goal on one of those smaller islands, I made one a long while ago, filled with naughty villagers. Im not thinking Alcatraz though...

Eilean Donan Castle near Dornie Scotland

eilean-donan-castle-near-dornie-scotland

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#6 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

Great ideas Kop!

I was thinking that it may be nice to extend the wall a little towards where the poor, farms, outside-the-walls folks are to put the city gate there.  There is a gap between that area and the current wall layout is.  

That would probably be a good area for the armory/barracks.  That way you'd have all the soldiers near the front gate ready to defend and march out.   Either that or off to one of the sides to give more room in the middle to build the cadtheral, market area, and houses expanded from there.

The city could also use some sort of entertainment area.  A small arena, jousting area, or otherwise festival grounds.

You can't get there from here.

#7 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

And I love that Fantastic Maps site. 

I was thinking of getting this book for a project I'm working on for one of my own MC maps.  (He's got several similar type books.)

You can't get there from here.

#8 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Maybe we could build a small isolated community on that snowy island?  Maybe the native dwellers of the land chose isolation over comfort to get away from Ray's tyranny and his big fat castle. :P

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#9 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Maybe we could build a small isolated community on that snowy island?  Maybe the native dwellers of the land chose isolation over comfort to get away from Ray's tyranny and his big fat castle. :P

No one escapes the great king Rayvo Lution VIII!!!

(But I do like the idea :P )

sig.png

#10 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

I read that as Rayvo Lotion....  I thought what? ...... 

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#11 DrCrowtron

DrCrowtron
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Based on the ideas floating around, I am starting to wonder if this island of ours is big enough to last months.

#12 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US
  • Nationality:Irish-American

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Based on the ideas floating around, I am starting to wonder if this island of ours is big enough to last months.

I've been wondering this since it opened.... It is bigger once you're on it, but still small for the grand ideas we all have. :-/ I'll risk saying that I do not think it'll last 4 months unless we nurse the heck out of it. 

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Posted Image

#13 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

I had an idea, maybe we could add some lore/magic aspect to it, for instance, secret tunnels from the prison that lead down into beautiful landscaped caves, that come up in the castle,  wizard towers, somehow rig up a particle system where we make something continually spit out the right particles, (not sure how yet)  etc.

This would be a great opportunity to do something other than big pretty buildings. 

We should also make stocks placed through the town, even if steve can't fit his big blocky head through them.

(This would be a perfect opportunity for me because I've never been good at pretty architecture! Just gardens and interior)

Oh! almost forgot. Sewer systems! That could be also linking to the above secret tunnels.

There used to be something here..

#14 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

I am wrapping up SG5, then I'll be joining the creative build. As time goes on, many others will be on too since it's the first chance for many to participate in a mass server project. I'm thinking that the size of the island will be inadequate once we reach a critical mass, however. In the words of the Chief of Police in Jaws, "You're gonna need a bigger boat!"

#15 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yes I thought that too initially and again after looking at dynmap just now!  Still if i could be invisible Demolition-Man it would take much longer  ;)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#16 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think the map might be too small for a multi-month, multi-player build... unless we get very creative with details, catacombs, etc.

Here's a build of King's Landing from Westeros Craft.

LqpUooX.jpg

It's hard to say precisely, but with a bit of block counting, I've estimated the length of the city wall that faces the sea is approx. 600 blocks. This is the approx. size of our island (both width and length).

Superimposing our island on Kings Landing...

9VNTKQF.jpg

That's possibly going to limit what we can do...

(or maybe I'm massively overestimating the speed that people can build at)

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#17 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US
  • Nationality:Irish-American

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Koplee you have taken my brain image and made it a reality!! 3 cheers to your genius! This is why I have been so secretly worried for the last few days. I want to help build something as amazing as that exact city, but we are severely "limited" at the moment. I think we can easily build that city in 4 months considering someone is always on. 

It'll be a lot of work, but I'd much rather have too much to do than too little. 

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Posted Image

#18 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

That's pretty close to what I was going for as far as style/density, kings landing looks really boxish though. But either way, the idea was the city was overdeveloped beyond it's size, it was going to be very compact inside with no where left to build anything just about.

But I think we wont run out of time, once we're finished building and run out of ideas; we just polish the hell out of it! :D

We can also consider silly things in the far future, like putting a barbarian/pirate cove or something up in the top right of the map.

sig.png

#19 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

Current Status/Things To Do/Etc:

- Farmland area may start development (Daffy started in on this)

- Crowtron University.. uhh "started". (Talk to crow if you want to help)

- Snowy island going to be a village of people who left the city (natives?)

- Hole at Rayvolution Castle needs filled in (in the back, you'll see where it's partially filled, please fully fill in, don't just cap the top off)

- DO NOT BUILD IN THE CITY YET!!! I am organizing the final placement of the walls, and I am doing a modular wall design that a proper outline has to be built for to match the above diagram. You can make some temp outlines/suggestions though, just don't build anything serious yet. Once I get the wall outline done we should be able to position buildings while the walls are being built.

sig.png

#20 kanight_kanievil

kanight_kanievil
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 585 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

Ray, what are your thoughts on the wizard / mage tower, as far as materials used and general look?  I've been working on something in my creative world that I'll do a recording of and see if that would look ok  for everyone. It can be totally adaptable, I just wanted to get some ideas put into it and see what I thought might look good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users