Current Draft

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Psarge

Psarge
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts
  • LocationBehind my keyboard but infront ot my computer....
  • Nationality:British

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

I've been wondering about a town square/plaza type affair.. possibly with a statue or fountain or something in the middle?

Such places would often be used for markets e.t.c..

yes? no? maybe?

#22 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

Ray, what are your thoughts on the wizard / mage tower, as far as materials used and general look?  I've been working on something in my creative world that I'll do a recording of and see if that would look ok  for everyone. It can be totally adaptable, I just wanted to get some ideas put into it and see what I thought might look good.

Someone snagged the Wizard tower job (Forebrow?) you might have to work with him to figure it out :D

sig.png

#23 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

I've been wondering about a town square/plaza type affair.. possibly with a statue or fountain or something in the middle?

Such places would often be used for markets e.t.c..

yes? no? maybe?

Like a more upper-class kind of one? If so, that could be great for the "highest" class area outside the castle.. if not, maybe the lower-middle class area on the far right of the map?

sig.png

#24 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ray, what are your thoughts on the wizard / mage tower, as far as materials used and general look?  I've been working on something in my creative world that I'll do a recording of and see if that would look ok  for everyone. It can be totally adaptable, I just wanted to get some ideas put into it and see what I thought might look good.

Someone snagged the Wizard tower job (Forebrow?) you might have to work with him to figure it out :D

Hey hey hey. I know nothing. I'm just working on the landscaping the island, wasn't aware the wizard tower job was taken. I was getting nowhere with the tower myself so I asked in chat if anyone wanted to, Mister Ross stood up. This was only last night so there's time to work it out.

#25 kanight_kanievil

kanight_kanievil
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 584 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

It's all good with me. I'll jump in when I can get the time, the man has been keeping me down at work. I tried to do a recording of what ideas I came up with, but Frapps was not being my friend today. So instead I added a few more things and started taking some screen shots. I'll post them hopefully tomorrow after I wake up.

#26 Elanderine

Elanderine
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 67 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Ray, I been working on the houses in the poor section. I want to raise the coast just a bit so that I can make like a smugglers cove on the piece of coast line not enclosed by the walls. I put some sewers in as well. Going to do some redstone once I get the basic shape of the buildings. The roads I have laid out are just an idea so I could work the houses in.

#27 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

AREAS NOW OPEN FOR BUILDING:

- Houses/shops in any of the districts.

- Farmland (Daffy is missing, so someone can take up on that project)

- Shops/Houses can also be placed within the Cathedral's area, that area wont *just* be the cathedral

i'll update the image in the OP shortly, but for now, you can start building all the little houses and stuff city wide!

sig.png

#28 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

- Shops/Houses can also be placed within the Cathedral's area, that area wont *just* be the cathedral

i'll update the image in the OP shortly, but for now, you can start building all the little houses and stuff city wide!

Could you put in the diagram where there will be holes in the walls, so people can plan around it?

There used to be something here..

#29 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Could you put in the diagram where there will be holes in the walls, so people can plan around it?

Will do. ;)

EDIT: Updated

sig.png

#30 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

For the poor agricultural district, I've been making it kind of "spooky" at night, with minimalist lighting and scarecrows looming out at you in the dark. I am wondering though, could I plant a line of spruce trees around it, and wall it off with either nether brick fences or cobblestone walls? I would then add some access points, with signs like "Beware" and maybe the entrance boarded up with signs..

Thoughts?

#31 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

RAY!

Can I break down all the practice walls you put up while you were planning a design?

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#32 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Is this a project for the new world? I can see Elanderine has been working on sewersI Would these involve water treatment, flood works, etc?  I have a good White Dwarf and some Roman sewer nerd stuff somewhere. 

Posted Image

#33 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Is this a project for the new world? I can see Elanderine has been working on sewersI Would these involve water treatment, flood works, etc?  I have a good White Dwarf and some Roman sewer nerd stuff somewhere.

I think the world will go in the museum. I've been working on sewers also, I think I'll just add some main sewer parts, and then the tunnels going off from them. In the end I'll make a giant tunnel going into the ocean. Water treatment seems a bit non-medieval! :P But that roman stuff sounds interesting, could you elaborate?

#34 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I think the world will go in the museum. I've been working on sewers also, I think I'll just add some main sewer parts, and then the tunnels going off from them. In the end I'll make a giant tunnel going into the ocean. Water treatment seems a bit non-medieval! :P But that roman stuff sounds interesting, could you elaborate?

:P The Romans an Greek (and probably well before them) had sewers of multiple levels. Flooding protection (where excess ground water was channelled away from the system), rudementary filtering (grilles both vertically and horizontally) to get rid of the masonary, bones, and who knows what else.  Herculanum is a good source of just how sophisticated the  sewers could be as well as how fresh water was provided.

I'll try to find my books about water/drainage/sewage (I know - having those sort of books is very nerdy)  Drainage engineering really is one of the most amazing hidden histories

Posted Image

#35 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

:P The Romans an Greek (and probably well before them) had sewers of multiple levels. Flooding protection (where excess ground water was channelled away from the system), rudementary filtering (grilles both vertically and horizontally) to get rid of the masonary, bones, and who knows what else.  Herculanum is a good source of just how sophisticated the  sewers could be as well as how fresh water was provided.

I'll try to find my books about water/drainage/sewage (I know - having those sort of books is very nerdy)  Drainage engineering really is one of the most amazing hidden histories

Oh, that! I had totally forgot about that! :D With the current floor plan, unfortunately, I don't think that will work. This is also supposed to be set in the dark ages, so even sewers were rare! (From what I've read) So far, I'm just going with a 1 level, 'dump it in the ocean and hope it goes away' type of sewer.

#36 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

Dark Ages - Western Europe - yeah = pretty much.  :P  Will still be nice. xx

Posted Image