IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US
  • Nationality:Irish-American

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

I have a few ideas for how I want this to look, which was simple enough considering the "Gothic medieval cathedral" is one of the most well-known and eye-catching architectural styles around. 

The problem: They are HUGE. By definition they are elaborate and wonderful places of worship (and mischief) but then to add all of the signature details in a world of giant blocks? We are talking BIG. There is simply not space for that in our new home, so I need some help. Both Ray and I want this to be as close to reality as possible and 10x more epic, but I can not see how we can add all the historical bells and whistles. 

What do you recommend? I am thinking just having the two towers, a main hall/room with the large ceilings, supporting arches and benches. East to West facing as per norm and cross shaped. 

arch_cath_cathedral_floorplan.gif

This is the basic layout I was imagining originally, but there is too much involved to fit in a reasonably sized area. 

Inspiration:

Spoiler

So I am stuck between a cobblestone block and a hard place here; Do I simplify it enough to fit but ultimately ruin the magnificence, or scrap the cathedral idea and go for a humble church? I'd like to imagine our city as being a great one that would have the kinds of huge builds that reflect its glory! 

P.S. The Wonder Chicken has some amazing ideas (I assume because I am not in his head - thankfully) for what to do in the catacombs of this place. So it will certainly be awesome underground. 

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Posted Image

#2 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Found this on youtube, it's really cool to watch! This is similar to Laon Cathedral which is where I got my inspiration from. So this is an idea of how large it'd be in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS2hXNAS54M 

Posted Image

#3 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Yes as you rightly say the intricate detail dictates huge size to get the depths required. Sounds like you are well on the way  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#4 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Damn that is epic!  You've gotta build it.  In that IRL picture the cathedral is the centerpiece of the city, it's huge and everything around it is kinda squished in.  I say you map out the space you need first, see how it works on the map, and whether or not we could work around it. :)

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#5 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Damn that is epic!  You've gotta build it.  In that IRL picture the cathedral is the centerpiece of the city, it's huge and everything around it is kinda squished in.  I say you map out the space you need first, see how it works on the map, and whether or not we could work around it. :)

Ray had suggested the same thing, but man... I am afraid it'll basically take up the entire city! I guess I'll map it out tonight and see how it looks. :D

Posted Image

#6 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Ray had suggested the same thing, but man... I am afraid it'll basically take up the entire city! I guess I'll map it out tonight and see how it looks. :D

A good technique I use for survival when I want to build something, is first I go into superflat creative, and build a incomplete prototype. Then I take the dimensions, add about 10 blocks to it just to be safe, and start building.

There used to be something here..

#7 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

A good technique I use for survival when I want to build something, is first I go into superflat creative, and build a incomplete prototype. Then I take the dimensions, add about 10 blocks to it just to be safe, and start building.

Thanks! But considering our world is already in creative and the size of the cathedral is directly related to the size I have to work with in-game, it's best I try to lay it out on our map first. I learned the hard way a while ago to do things in creative mode first. :P People on the server may recall my dearly departed Hyrule Castle.... *a moment of silence* 

Plus, we've got nothing but time!

Posted Image

#8 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Thanks! But considering our world is already in creative and the size of the cathedral is directly related to the size I have to work with in-game, it's best I try to lay it out on our map first. I learned the hard way a while ago to do things in creative mode first. ;P People on the server may recall my dearly departed Hyrule Castle.... *a moment of silence*

Plus, we've got nothing but time!

True, true. :) Did someone already suggest catacombs?

#9 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

True, true.  :) Did someone already suggest catacombs?

Yar! BobTWC called dibs. But I read your other thing in the forums and it sounded really interesting. I'd say totally ask Bob if he wants any help because I'd love to see what you do with it. 

Posted Image

#10 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

True, true.  :) Did someone already suggest catacombs?

Yar! BobTWC called dibs. But I read your other thing in the forums and it sounded really interesting. I'd say totally ask Bob if he wants any help because I'd love to see what you do with it. 

Yes, I will totally ask him if I can help with that! Maybe below that can be the central secret-magical chamber thing?

#11 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yes, I will totally ask him if I can help with that! Maybe below that can be the central secret-magical chamber thing?

Awesome idea! I love teh magikz. How about a long secret corridor leading to the basement of the Mage Tower once it's built? Full of cowebs and eerie darkness. Maybe a redstone hidden doorway? 

I'd say keep the Cathedral itself sans magic, but it totally makes sense that there would be many hidden passageways throughout the city from one place to another. 

Posted Image

#12 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Awesome idea! I love teh magikz. How about a long secret corridor leading to the basement of the Mage Tower once it's built? Full of cowebs and eerie darkness. Maybe a redstone hidden doorway?

I'd say keep the Cathedral itself sans magic, but it totally makes sense that there would be many hidden passageways throughout the city from one place to another.
Dibs on building them! :D I was thinking less redstone door and more hidden in plain sight, like in one of the prison cells you go down the toilet to get to the sewers, and there is a small hole hat lets you into a ever widening magic tunnel thing. Like the catacombs under Paris, just a bit more... Magic.
Yeah, the cathedral would be more center of worship, that casts away all magic, but then have a secret tunnel leading from the crypt.

#13 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Awesome! Man, I can't wait to see how this all turns out! I sincerely hope we have the space to make our ideas a *reality. 

*An awesome-video-game-pixel reality! (So cooler than real life, of course). 

Posted Image

#14 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Made some progress on the cathedral last night!

Untitled_zpsfe02f63d.png

Ray helped a little. 

Posted Image

#15 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

The wall outline for the walls surrounding the cathedral are complete; so you can start building it whenever you want. ;)

Try to avoid hugging the wall though, that outline is for the base of the modular design, but the sides actually poke out 3~ blocks in either direction designing on the piece placed there, so I suggest a minimum of a 5~ block buffer

Corners will also have larger towers, possible round, coming out 5-6~ blocks

sig.png

#16 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Made some progress on the cathedral last night!

<picture>

Ray helped a little. 

I can't help but remove the hands and face, leaving something rather phallic...

On a serious note, I can't wait for you to break ground on this, Iry. :)

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#17 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Ray said the same thing! *Rethinks choice of pink wool* 

I'll be working on it tonight! I hope to get a general structure done before I am too tired to function. So, you know, before 7pm when my granny ass wants to crawl under the covers with my cats. 

Posted Image

#18 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

I've been mucking around with the landscaping around the cathedral.  Added this to the front and a few buildings cluttered around the left side.

None of this needs to stay, of course, and I can knock it down if it's in the way or if you have other plans, Iry.  But for now it's just there to spruce things up a bit until you get booty back on here. And I wanted to practice with some fountain things. :D

med_gallery_1146_42_704396.png

#19 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

I've been mucking around with the landscaping around the cathedral.  Added this to the front and a few buildings cluttered around the left side.

None of this needs to stay, of course, and I can knock it down if it's in the way or if you have other plans, Iry.  But for now it's just there to spruce things up a bit until you get booty back on here. And I wanted to practice with some fountain things. :D

med_gallery_1146_42_704396.png

I like! I especially like the road, I never thought of mixing the different stone brick types with smooth stone. It looks great from a distance!

#20 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

I had no idea what i wanted to do with the exterior....... and it looks amazing! I seriously thought you took a screen shot of some other cathedral because you made mine look really awesome (even half finished). 

I'll have to double-check in game, but the image makes it look better than I could have ever imagined. :D 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users