Photo

SG6 Road Design

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: SG6 Roads, please pick one of each option (43 member(s) have cast votes)

What design would you prefer as the Main Pavement of the roads?

1. Ground Level Cobble (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

2. Sunken Cobble Slabs (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. Elevated Cobble Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Ground Level Stone Bricks (12 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

5. Sunken Stone Brick Slabs (4 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

6. Elevated Stone Brick Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Ground Level Nether Brick (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

8. Sunken Nether Brick Slabs (12 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

9. Elevated Nether Brick Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Ground Level Smooth Stone Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Sunken Smooth Stone Slabs (9 votes [20.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

12. Elevated Smooth Stone Slabs (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Which design would you prefer as the Main Road Borders?

1. Elevated Cobble Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Ground Level Cobble Blocks (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Elevated Smooth Stone Slabs (6 votes [13.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

4. Ground Level Smooth Stone Slabs (6 votes [13.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

5. Elevated Stone Brick Slabs (4 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

6. Ground Level Stone Bricks (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Elevated Nether Bricks Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Ground Level Nether Bricks (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Sunken Cobble Stairs (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

10. Sunken Stone Brick Stairs (24 votes [55.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.81%

11. Sunken Nether Brick Stairs (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

Which would you prefer?

1. 4 Wide Roads (10 votes [23.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

2. 6 Wide Roads (33 votes [76.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.74%

Final Vote for Roads of SixtyGig 6

1. 1. Ground Level Stone Bricks / Sunken Stone Brick Stair Borders (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 2. Ground Level Stone Bricks / Elevated Stone Slab Borders (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. 3. Sunken Stone Slabs / Sunken Stone Brick Stair Borders (13 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

4. 4. Ground Level Stone Bricks / Ground Level Stone Slab Borders (1 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

5. 5. Sunken Nether Brick Slabs / Sunken Stone Brick Stair Borders (11 votes [36.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

6. 6. Sunken Nether Brick Slabs / Ground Level Stone Slab Borders (2 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

In an effort to make the main roads throughout the map obvious, a standardized design will be voted on. These roads will travel between Rail Stations as an alternative mode of transportation. (More on this and the rails in the coming days.)

There is an option for road width, the usual 4 blocks or a horse friendlier 6 blocks. Although this option pertains to the main roads, with the exception of a few main directional roads, the city itself will use the 4 wide version within the city limits. (More on the city limits in the coming days.)

The roads will be in the hands of the players on how they follow the terrain across the map, they only need to go from point A to B in a general direction.

So please take the time to select the 3 aspects to the design you feel you would enjoy the most. A preliminary vote was done and the materials listed above were the most popular choices.

Here are a few examples to clear up any confusion. There are to many variations to realistically post an image of every design. The vote will be finalized in 1 week.

Edit: As usual the best laid plans tend to have unintended results, the top few choices were put together in the image below, please take a final vote from question #4 and choose the design we will use... Only 2 people had the combination of Option #1 and most likely 90% of the server doesn't want that design, but i included it to be fair... Also 6 wide will be the width.

You may have to delete your vote to be able to vote on question #4

Road%20Selection2.jpg

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

I think nether brick might be a bit dark for a main road - It's going to contrast heavily with anything lighter around the hub and stick out like a sore thumb plowing through pretty much any biome. I feel a public road should just be a little more neutral and out of the way. Lovely designs nonetheless, but I think boring is best in this situation.

#3 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I think nether brick might be a bit dark for a main road - It's going to contrast heavily with anything lighter around the hub and stick out like a sore thumb plowing through pretty much any biome. I feel a public road should just be a little more neutral and out of the way. Lovely designs nonetheless, but I think boring is best in this situation.

That's actually why I like them, they pop out, you know instantly they are official SG roads. :D

they'll also be really easy to ID on the dynmap.

sig.png

#4 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

they'll also be really easy to ID on the dynmap.

That is the reason I chose them! :D

There used to be something here..

#5 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Someone is going to be spending a lot of time farming Netherack/Netherbrick if you're going to do all the roads in that material.

I voted for a Stone Slab/Stairs, because well, it's simple, clean, goes with just about every building block, and it's easy to come by.

I care more that you're going for an even number on the width than I actually care about what material they're made out of.  5 wide, please. :)

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#6 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Someone is going to be spending a lot of time farming Netherack/Netherbrick if you're going to do all the roads in that material.

I voted for a Stone Slab/Stairs, because well, it's simple, clean, goes with just about every building block, and it's easy to come by.

I care more that you're going for an even number on the width than I actually care about what material they're made out of.  5 wide, please. :)

The roads are even because stations and the city are all centered on a 2x2 spot, not 1x1. :D

MC has no true "center" block, dead-center of the world is actually a 2x2 space, thus the perfectly-symmetrical stations and the city are all have to be based on an even design with a 2x2 center. So the roads in order to line up with the rest of the server, must also be even. :)

sig.png

#7 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

I don't like sunken roads as they feel to me like a damp rut.

And, raised borders make me feel like I'm tripping over them. Thank heavens you can't twist your ankle in MC. Yet.

Nether brick seems dark at night, but if its needed for the D-map, then I vote for it ... but surely a 6-wide road with double rail system next to most of it would stand out. Or are we thinking it will help with the small roads?

#8 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:02 AM

Have you considered using wool as the road part? We can hide pumpikns under it and have inroad lighting that way ...

woolroad

... I understand it requires a lot more resources but I really really don't like zombies as they are right now :P

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#9 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

Carpet does make hiding lighting easier but will we have some ornate street lighting? or both as elevated glowstone doesn't light up the ground too effectively but looks nice.

I like coffee!

#10 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

Carpet will be much easier to come by than nether brick.

#11 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

Carpet will be much easier to come by than nether brick.

Mac is a wise one. Let the sheep abuse begin.

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#12 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

Carpet is not a selection on the poll. *smacks people*

sig.png

#13 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

an alternative material that makes roads standout on the map is sandstone.  I've used it on my roads. Bordered by stone bricks it has a nice contrast, and sand is relatively easy to come by.  Yes it is not on the poll but then the materials seem to have been pre-selected by some prior vote - among the vets?

#14 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

an alternative material that makes roads standout on the map is sandstone.  I've used it on my roads. Bordered by stone bricks it has a nice contrast, and sand is relatively easy to come by.  Yes it is not on the poll but then the materials seem to have been pre-selected by some prior vote - among the vets?

^ ;)

There's 50 bazillion combinations of roads, we narrowed it down to these eventually. That's why I'm trying to keep everyone on-track to stick with just the poll options, else we're just going to dive right into the same problem we had in the vet's forum when there was no specific designs to vote on. Literally everyone had their own design, we got no where. lol.

I mean hell, this poll has 132 variations (264 if you consider 4 or 6 wide), and we still all have our own ideas of what to do that's beyond the poll. :D

sig.png

#15 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hey Ray, what about oak leaves with sandstone stairs? <ducks>
You can't get there from here.

#16 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Found this in a kids' book

51ZJ3.jpg

Looks like us.

#17 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

... There's 50 bazillion combinations of roads, we narrowed it down to these eventually. That's why I'm trying to keep everyone on-track to stick with just the poll options, else we're just going to dive right into the same problem we had in the vet's forum when there was no specific designs to vote on. Literally everyone had their own design, we got no where...

Yea but none of the suggested designs addresses the lighting issue ... unless we plan to use glowstone hanging lamps every 5 blocks, the roads are going to be a "highway to hell" ;)

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#18 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Perhaps glowstone lamps every 16 meters, and staggered from one side to the other so that you'd have a 7 or 8 light level along the way. Another job for the Nether Lovers Club.

#19 Psarge

Psarge
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts
  • LocationBehind my keyboard but infront ot my computer....

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

I vote for streams of water!  none of this "walking malarkey" let us build aqueducts!   :D

#20 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

... There's 50 bazillion combinations of roads, we narrowed it down to these eventually. That's why I'm trying to keep everyone on-track to stick with just the poll options, else we're just going to dive right into the same problem we had in the vet's forum when there was no specific designs to vote on. Literally everyone had their own design, we got no where...

Yea but none of the suggested designs addresses the lighting issue ... unless we plan to use glowstone hanging lamps every 5 blocks, the roads are going to be a "highway to hell" ;)

Nothing wrong with a bit of hell. I'd rather looks over safety to be honest, if you aren't up for a fight it's easy enough to run away from a zombie swarm. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users