Photo

SG6 Road Design

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: SG6 Roads, please pick one of each option (43 member(s) have cast votes)

What design would you prefer as the Main Pavement of the roads?

1. Ground Level Cobble (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

2. Sunken Cobble Slabs (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. Elevated Cobble Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Ground Level Stone Bricks (12 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

5. Sunken Stone Brick Slabs (4 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

6. Elevated Stone Brick Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Ground Level Nether Brick (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

8. Sunken Nether Brick Slabs (12 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

9. Elevated Nether Brick Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Ground Level Smooth Stone Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Sunken Smooth Stone Slabs (9 votes [20.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

12. Elevated Smooth Stone Slabs (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Which design would you prefer as the Main Road Borders?

1. Elevated Cobble Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Ground Level Cobble Blocks (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Elevated Smooth Stone Slabs (6 votes [13.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

4. Ground Level Smooth Stone Slabs (6 votes [13.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

5. Elevated Stone Brick Slabs (4 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

6. Ground Level Stone Bricks (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Elevated Nether Bricks Slabs (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Ground Level Nether Bricks (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Sunken Cobble Stairs (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

10. Sunken Stone Brick Stairs (24 votes [55.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.81%

11. Sunken Nether Brick Stairs (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

Which would you prefer?

1. 4 Wide Roads (10 votes [23.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

2. 6 Wide Roads (33 votes [76.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.74%

Final Vote for Roads of SixtyGig 6

1. 1. Ground Level Stone Bricks / Sunken Stone Brick Stair Borders (0 votes [0.00%])

2. 2. Ground Level Stone Bricks / Elevated Stone Slab Borders (3 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. 3. Sunken Stone Slabs / Sunken Stone Brick Stair Borders (13 votes [43.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

4. 4. Ground Level Stone Bricks / Ground Level Stone Slab Borders (1 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

5. 5. Sunken Nether Brick Slabs / Sunken Stone Brick Stair Borders (11 votes [36.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

6. 6. Sunken Nether Brick Slabs / Ground Level Stone Slab Borders (2 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I'm with Forebrow on the issue of lighting. A few baddies in the way doesn't bother me, but I believe we're in the minority. :)

There are a lot of options for hidden lighting that won't involve changing the material or design of the road.  Bushes are the best, and they'll make a plain road look a lot better.

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#22 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Bushes make everything better. Not sure how they would work with nether brick and darker materials if we decide on that, but with stone and wood they add so much to a long stretch of road. The odd fallen log if a road is passing through a forest... sand sweeping over the road in a desert... snow cover in a snow biome... All simple little details to implement, but they add so much to a road.

#23 Oribloke

Oribloke
  • PipPip
  • Veteran
  • Plank

• 238 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

I vote for stonebrick slabs - acacia - pumpkin mix ;)

Optionally ice under stonebrick slabs

road_stonebrick_acacia_pumpkin.png

#24 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'd rather safe roads first. Considering they will be all we have to travel by for quite a while I'd rather not battle through hoards every time I want to travel.

I'm not as fussed about design, but I do think stone will be easier. Otherwise we'll strip a nether fort, get stuck when we run out and have to wait until the next month.. since it's the only way of long distance travel for a while I'd rather get it set up sooner than later. That's why I voted how I did :)

EDIT: I've been informed that you can cook up Nether brick, which makes my argument void ;) sticking with the vote, though.

#25 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

... There's 50 bazillion combinations of roads, we narrowed it down to these eventually. That's why I'm trying to keep everyone on-track to stick with just the poll options, else we're just going to dive right into the same problem we had in the vet's forum when there was no specific designs to vote on. Literally everyone had their own design, we got no where...

Yea but none of the suggested designs addresses the lighting issue ... unless we plan to use glowstone hanging lamps every 5 blocks, the roads are going to be a "highway to hell" ;)

Nothing wrong with a bit of hell. I'd rather looks over safety to be honest, if you aren't up for a fight it's easy enough to run away from a zombie swarm. 

I don't think we ever intended to have any sort of lighting, I figure it's up to the people living in those areas to light the region.

Lighting the entire road won't do much good anyway, mobs will just wander on to the road anyway unless we light a huge area, and that's just unrealistic since these roads follow the rails for the most part.

I vote for stonebrick slabs - acacia - pumpkin mix ;)

Optionally ice under stonebrick slabs

I don't like pumpkins for lighting, seems lazy. :/

No ice either, it's very annoying for people to use who don't understand it. Ice roads should be reserved for personal roads, not server wide roads used by everyone.

sig.png

#26 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

... if you aren't up for a fight it's easy enough to run away from a zombie swarm...

I pretty sure Brad Pitt would beg to differ ...

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#27 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Pumpkin lighting can be very nice within the right build. Ori uses pumpkin lighting a lot and it always fits in well.
I like coffee!

#28 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'd rather safe roads first. Considering they will be all we have to travel by for quite a while I'd rather not battle through hoards every time I want to travel.

I'm not as fussed about design, but I do think stone will be easier. Otherwise we'll strip a nether fort, get stuck when we run out and have to wait until the next month.. since it's the only way of long distance travel for a while I'd rather get it set up sooner than later. That's why I voted how I did :)

EDIT: I've been informed that you can cook up Nether brick, which makes my argument void ;) sticking with the vote, though.

A Netherbrick road will take 4 times the resources one made out of, say, Stone, or any other resource that smelts 1 to 1. One piece of Netherack yields 1 brick, and you need 4 bricks to make a single block of Netherbrick.  So a stack of Netherack will only yield 16 blocks of Netherbrick. I'd say that makes your argument pretty valid, Mac. ;)

A Netherbrick road means a lot of Netherack gathering, or stripping down any fortresses and getting the brick that way.  As a main building block Netherbrick isn't really the best choice because it's very resource intensive (and personally I think it's a bit ugly :P)

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#29 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

cobble stone and stone slabs, cheap, fast, easy. 

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#30 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Also thought I should throw out this thought for everyone:

The roads are actually more aesthetic than anything else, keep in mind most of these roads will follow the rail system around the map. Anyone doing any sort of long distance travel will probably be on the rail system. The roads are really just there for people to build into, or for horse travel.

The roads probably won't even be built for a very long time. The rail is priority one, the external roads will probably be one of the last things we build as far as server infrastructure is concerned because it's actually the least important.

We also should not be considering cost effectiveness, as I said, this is more aesthetic than anything else. We want what looks best within reason, not what it easiest to build.

sig.png

#31 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

I personally dont' mind taking the extra time to gather, mine, create resources we need to make all the builds great rather than go for the quick and easy option just because its quick and easy.  I'm not saying that we need to make everything the "most expensive" just to make it the most expensive either...just want things to be the best they can be.

You can't get there from here.

#32 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

i figured we could build both road and rails at once, lighting wasn't a consideration really assuming most people will only use the roads for horse travel, and mobs wouldn't be a big issue if the roads were made of slabs since they wouldn't spawn on them.

As far as netherrack taking 4 times as long to mine as cobble that isn't the case, netherrack is extremely soft and takes few swings with a pick to break, once diamond picks are aquired it will be like cutting threw butter.

I noticed a number of people are opposed to the netherbrick as they feel that it clashes with their builds, i tend to disagree with that myself. Initially even colored clay was an option, and none of the vets or seasoned seemed to like the idea, plus it would have been one of the more expensive options as far as resource gathering goes. Although carpet is a nice way of hiding lighting i think it wouldn't look right as outdoor roads, perhaps someday Mojang will consider adding "plates" that are thin like the carpet in the future.

For the time being i suggest building the basic roads at first then worry about lighting later.

Btw here is the current winning design as of Monday

monday%20design.jpg

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#33 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Though I can rationalize the current winning design as a kind of roman road with gutters thing,  It feels a bit like it was (unsurprisingly) built by committee.  Just to make thing easier (or more complicated) maybe we should stick to certain design types.  Examples would be sunken stair border/ sunken slab,  ground level border/ ground level slab, etc. Then, all we would have to worry about is Block type. If we went that way, here are the current numbers for block type.

Pavement:

Cobble 4

Stone Brick 15

Nether Brick 10

Smooth Stone Slab 2

Border:

Cobble 1

Smooth Stone Slab 14

Stone Brick 16

Nether brick 0

My big concern is that either way we go we end up with Stone Brick/ Stone Brick, which just seems boring.

My 2 cents.

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#34 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

My 2 cents.

I was halfway through typing the same before I saw your post! :D I second.
There used to be something here..

#35 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

I would imagine if the current winning design won there would be a revote cause well its ugly. The gutter looking design can look good, but having the same base material for the blocks and the gutter looks silly.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#36 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

considering the silliness of the current design I would suggest some people who voted for one or the other consider a second option as well/instead to balance the vote into something.. less ugly. :D

sig.png

#37 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Showing up late to add to the cost issue, harvesting netherrack to smelt at a 4:1 brick-to-block ratio isn't that difficult with even stone picks (once we get the ubiquitous overwhelming stacks of coal that comes from the initial stripmining of the wilds and/or clearcutting forests for builds.)

Posted Image

#38 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Showing up late to add to the cost issue, harvesting netherrack to smelt at a 4:1 brick-to-block ratio isn't that difficult with even stone picks (once we get the ubiquitous overwhelming stacks of coal that comes from the initial stripmining of the wilds and/or clearcutting forests for builds.)

*Cough* Lava *cough*

#39 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

How about you stick up some posts with pictures of road variations based on the way the vote was going (and include any others that you Vets like), and then we vote for the picture we prefer using cookies?

Edit: i.e. we vote on complete designs, rather than for pieces (should avoid getting stupid/boring combinations of parts!)

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#40 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

P.S. You could use the current Wilds portal platform as the basis of a great road design... There's something for everyone there!  ;)

Spoiler

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users