Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

RE: Rails - So are we feeling a bit more accepting of above ground rails for this new map? I get the basic rules of not stepping on toes, etc, but I am fond of the idea of an above ground one. I'd do my best to make it pretty... 

Am I the only one who is chomping at the bit to get on the map so I can claim a spot I already have my eye on? I'm stressing out here, man! 

No joke, if this map opens before I leave my job, imma just never sleep. Priorities. ;)

I've categorised my desired spots by which I want more ;) 

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#22 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

"Absolutely do not use other people's mines, caves and buildings or anything else without permission! You can explore all you want (We encourage it!), but if it's not yours don't touch it!"

"For example, while you have all the right to dig in someone else's established branch mine, it would be more respectable to just go make your own."

As this has been the subject of contention perhaps this is a bit contradictory?   8)

One is referencing the main map, the other, the wilderness. :P

Although on that note, since we can't mine on the main map it is a bit odd to mention you can't use them. But you never know, someone might have a mineshaft for legitimate reasons.

Ofc I realise that.....  but it has and will confuse others.  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#23 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

- No long tunnels underwater unless approved by a Veteran or the Admin. These are a pain to fix/cleanup if they need removed!

I'm gonna take this to mean that if I, or anyone, starts an underwater build project we must have a portion of the build above or at sea level to be accessed by the rail system instead of going underwater? or would it be possible to build the rail to a point near the build then build down to connect with the build underwater such that the rail station at build would not be exposed above water? just to know, I am planning to do an underwater build as soon as the ground work and infrastructure are done and I wanted to be square with building code so I know how to plan

You can have the tunnels underwater, 99% of the time they'll be approved.. we just don't want people needlessly building underwater tunnels. If your build even slightly justifies it, it's fine. We just don't want needlessly-built underwater tunnels.

RE: Rails - So are we feeling a bit more accepting of above ground rails for this new map? I get the basic rules of not stepping on toes, etc, but I am fond of the idea of an above ground one. I'd do my best to make it pretty... 

Am I the only one who is chomping at the bit to get on the map so I can claim a spot I already have my eye on? I'm stressing out here, man! 

No joke, if this map opens before I leave my job, imma just never sleep. Priorities. ;)

Actually there's no preference, we just want that wherever they do go they aren't ugly. They should be designed with aesthetics in mind, not just raw function. :P

On that note though, keep in mind that *all* the station hookups are underground, so regardless you will end up sending it underground roughly 100~ blocks from the station to make your hookup.

sig.png

#24 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

- You can claim your plat of land to build in within the city without asking, but you must intend to put an actual building there.

:)

Note, Miss Picky Pants...

- Speak coherently! We're not sending texts on a cell phone. Try to sound intelligent. We don't mind having fun or screwing around, but "wen u git ppl who talk like dis bcuz it ezer" it makes us look like immature kids. No, we're not grammar Nazis, if you can't spell we don't really care. We just don't like people who purposely talk like morons.

Leave Ray alone!

I'm just being helpful!!!

(are these picky pants?):

Picture+33.png

#25 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Picture+33.png

I hope no one....

..picks his pick-pocket!

sig.png

#26 Red_Letters

Red_Letters
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 76 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

- You can claim your plat of land to build in within the city without asking, but you must intend to put an actual building there.

:)

Note, Miss Picky Pants...

- Speak coherently! We're not sending texts on a cell phone. Try to sound intelligent. We don't mind having fun or screwing around, but "wen u git ppl who talk like dis bcuz it ezer" it makes us look like immature kids. No, we're not grammar Nazis, if you can't spell we don't really care. We just don't like people who purposely talk like morons.

Leave Ray alone!

Picture+33.png

As a guitar player:  DO WANT.

#27 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

- No long tunnels underwater unless approved by a Veteran or the Admin. These are a pain to fix/cleanup if they need removed!

I'm gonna take this to mean that if I, or anyone, starts an underwater build project we must have a portion of the build above or at sea level to be accessed by the rail system instead of going underwater?

Basically the rail stations that are in the oceans, 3 in the middle specifically (water depth is 48, 49, 50) will still follow the same principals as the others, and the player connections will be underwater as well, therefor water stations will have submerged  connections.

Even with the stations being underwater they should connect to the surface so they are accessible, and depending how far they are from the shore a dock being built around them would likely be a better option than building 200 block long bridges to them.

The reality is the stations are 2000 blocks apart, so everyone of them needs to be fully functional in order to benefit the entire map.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#28 macastro17

macastro17
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 67 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

alright, perfectly understood I would be more than happy to help take part in constructing any rail stations in water biomes...I've been practicing and cut my drowning down to only 70% of the time!!!

#29 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Underwater building = take lots of doors with you.

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#30 macastro17

macastro17
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 67 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

oh my god why did I never figure that out...I always used signs or fence posts that makes so much more sense now. awesome 50%  drowning rate here I come!!

#31 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

A water bucket works well too.

#32 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

I like doors because you can speckle your build with 4, 8, 10 doors and have lots of safe space to air up. Also, for me a respiration hat will be my first enchant, for both better lighting as well as air.

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#33 mctheta

mctheta
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 204 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Re-read the rules as instructed!  Sounds good!

I understand and agree with the general thrust of the "MAY NOT mine, chop, harvest on the main map" rule..

Only thing that caught me is I like having a wheat field and garden for foods and stuff at my home site.  Wanted to make sure that wasn't what is intended by the no 'harvesting' part of the rule.

#34 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

Re-read the rules as instructed!  Sounds good!

I understand and agree with the general thrust of the "MAY NOT mine, chop, harvest on the main map" rule..

Only thing that caught me is I like having a wheat field and garden for foods and stuff at my home site.  Wanted to make sure that wasn't what is intended by the no 'harvesting' part of the rule.

It only applies to the harvesting of natural resources, not harvesting your own planted food/flower crops. 

Posted Image

#35 SK_Celt

SK_Celt
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 82 posts
  • LocationBelfast
  • Nationality:Irish

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Great rules, well done to all those involved in figuring them all out :D

#36 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Question: I know there is no mining or harvesting on main map, but I was wondering about slime farms. Since (obviously) using utilities is cheating, what about using brute force, by creating a 5x5 room at each chunk, and seeing if slimes spawn? Of course, I'd fill up the unneeded rooms with smooth stone. ;)

There used to be something here..

#37 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

I would think the farming would be fine (Slimes are not hard to find).  But, I am interested on what the policy would be on the brute force method of finding the chunk.

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#38 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Question: I know there is no mining or harvesting on main map, but I was wondering about slime farms. Since (obviously) using utilities is cheating, what about using brute force, by creating a 5x5 room at each chunk, and seeing if slimes spawn? Of course, I'd fill up the unneeded rooms with smooth stone. ;)

As long as it's legit, that's fine.

But keep in mind it's a huge gray area when it comes to deep-level tunnels and mining on the main map. Technically you can gather resources, so if you go slime-chunk hunting it really should be below ground you currently "own" (have a build on top of) and extra care should be taken not to overly-tear up areas you won't use.

But as long as you back fill the areas with stone you should be fine. :P

Also should be noted even if you find diamonds/ore down there you really shouldn't be collecting it unless it's reasonably in the way of your build. For example you can't branch mine and backfill the branches, but if you're making a slime-chunk grinder, you can grab the nearby diamonds/ores in the build site.

That's yet another gray area, really just falls under the honor rule, you can take ore that is reasonable and within your build area, but you can't "look for it".

semi-related note: Consider making a slime grinder in a swamp? That might actually have a higher output. :P

sig.png

#39 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

But keep in mind it's a huge gray area when it comes to deep-level tunnels and mining on the main map. Technically you can gather resources, so if you go slime-chunk hunting it really should be below ground you currently "own" (have a build on top of) and extra care should be taken not to overly-tear up areas you won't use.

Also should be noted even if you find diamonds/ore down there you really shouldn't be collecting it unless it's reasonably in the way of your build. For example you can't branch mine and backfill the branches, but if you're making a slime-chunk grinder, you can grab the nearby diamonds/ores in the build site.

That's yet another gray area, really just falls under the honor rule, you can take ore that is reasonable and within your build area, but you can't "look for it".

semi-related note: Consider making a slime grinder in a swamp? That might actually have a higher output. :P
Yeah, that sounds about right. I was just meaning to 1. Find the slime chunk 2. Dig out that area 3. Fill in everything else. :) Sounds like that will be fine, and I might even build something on top of it! :P
For the swamp, I don't think that would work, because spawning is limited by light level (I'd get other mobs) and the lunar cycle. I'll look into it though!
There used to be something here..

#40 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, that sounds about right. I was just meaning to 1. Find the slime chunk 2. Dig out that area 3. Fill in everything else. :) Sounds like that will be fine, and I might even build something on top of it! :P
For the swamp, I don't think that would work, because spawning is limited by light level (I'd get other mobs) and the lunar cycle. I'll look into it though!

I saw a design that would break up slimes into little tiny ones and send them down small 1x1 channels, that would help filter out the other mobs.

But yeah, it might have to be rather large to be beneficial, although how many slime balls does one really need? :D

sig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users