Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

But yeah, it might have to be rather large to be beneficial, although how many slime balls does one really need? :D

Enough to make hundreds of sticky pistons for a giant melon/cactus/pumpkin farm! ;)
But anyway, it would be pretty big in a swamp, and it would only function well when the moon is closer to full.
There used to be something here..

#42 SoonerDead

SoonerDead
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 167 posts
  • LocationO-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

All rules read and understood. Looks awesome and I am excited... though my Oklahoma impulses to somehow jump a land claim are very tempting right now... I think I will follow Iry around and beat her to her desired spot....

Also, maybe I am being a bit derpy, but for my slow brain:

On the map the pink circles at the grid intersections are for train stations?

What are the squiggly grey lines going between those points? Are they just there to show which rails will connect to which station?

Some people build towers... I just dig holes....

On my way down again, on my way down

#43 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I believe they are roads which will follow the natural terrain.
I like coffee!

#44 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

All rules read and understood. Looks awesome and I am excited... though my Oklahoma impulses to somehow jump a land claim are very tempting right now... I think I will follow Iry around and beat her to her desired spot....

Also, maybe I am being a bit derpy, but for my slow brain:

On the map the pink circles at the grid intersections are for train stations?

What are the squiggly grey lines going between those points? Are they just there to show which rails will connect to which station?

- Dots = Rail stations/Portal Stations (depending on location, some will just have rail stations, some will have a rail station and a portal. The ones with portals are marked with a portal next to the dot.)

- Straight Red Lines = Rails

- Gray swigglies = Roads that follow the terrain. The lines on the map aren't the actual paths, just representations of a road "following the terrain" and somewhat going the same direction as the rails.
- Circle in the middle of the map = SixtyCity wall

sig.png

#45 Psarge

Psarge
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts
  • LocationBehind my keyboard but infront ot my computer....

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

This might sound like a silly question(s) but I'm gonna ask, so forgive me if I missed the answer as I scan the thread with bleary eyes in the early hours.

1. Are ALL these roads going to follow the terrain?  Are there not allowed to be nice (decorative) bridges and tunnels e.t.c..?

2. The rail system will run at 50y I think I saw?  Does this put them mostly underground? (noob question) While keeping the landscape pretty, it also kind of stops you from being able to ride the rails and see said pretty landscape in comfort, perhaps while sipping tea and eating scones..  

Forgive me I IZ noob, just wanting to make sure when we move ahead I don't balls up with building stuff :D

#46 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

As I see it the roads between stations will not be managed as such. Roads will be built as and when needed by whoever wants and needs it :) Saying that I don't think a road running on a viaduct all along the rail line will be appreciated though :)

Pretty bridges and tunnels are a must IMO :) I suggested somewhere that we had an unwritten rule that roads keep to a gradient of say 5to1 or something... So then when in mountains and valleys you would have to use bridges etc.

Rails will run at y50 for 1st 100 blocks from station and then on the surface at y75 ..

See http://www.youtube.c...viqsvL4ur8#t=56 (made by nek!)

Some of my bridges in SG4!

iSVAD.png

Xz3gE.png

#47 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

This might sound like a silly question(s) but I'm gonna ask, so forgive me if I missed the answer as I scan the thread with bleary eyes in the early hours.

1. Are ALL these roads going to follow the terrain?  Are there not allowed to be nice (decorative) bridges and tunnels e.t.c..?

2. The rail system will run at 50y I think I saw?  Does this put them mostly underground? (noob question) While keeping the landscape pretty, it also kind of stops you from being able to ride the rails and see said pretty landscape in comfort, perhaps while sipping tea and eating scones..  

Forgive me I IZ noob, just wanting to make sure when we move ahead I don't balls up with building stuff :D

Sorry i have been a little lazy on adding more to the topic and plans, will get on that tommorrow since i am not traveling for the holiday and have the time then. So before Bukkit releases its build hopefully which will be soon, maybe we can all have a complete understanding of the plan.

Q1. Yes the intention is to have the roads start at a set coordinate and connect to a set coordinate, but built to follow the terrain, it would be ideal to have them gradually increase and decrease in elevation, and perhaps even allow a tunnel here or there when the terrain is mountainous.

Q2. The rail system will primarily be at an elevation of Y75 above ground, only diving down to Y50 to connect to underground stations. To literally dig that many tunnels would take years and personally although i am dedicated to making the rail network complete before starting on my own projects, i am not that dedicated to spend years digging tunnels.

I suggest all bridges, tunnels, ect. to be decorative regardless if they are Roads or Rails. For anyone who wants to look at a working rail station there is a download below, the functionality should be the same but i am open to design suggestions as well. At least let me post the next phase of map planning before asking any questions since that may answer some more questions.

There are also the screenshots of the station locations, so anyone who wants to start designing a station can have an idea what the terrain looks like.

The world is a 1.7.2 version ---> Rail Station Proposal Download->Unzip->Open->Move Rail Proposal into saves

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#48 Psarge

Psarge
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I would like to suggest that all stations, perhaps all stops should have an automatic cart recycler.

Went to where I built my shack in the hub today and got to the chest that used to have 3 mine carts in it to find...  none.

which resulted in me running like crazy to the next place to get a cart so i could go back to where I had died to retrieve my gear.

Was not a happy camper.

I for one was putting them back where I got them from.

An auto-recycler would ensure carts at each station (btw oasis station ALSO doesn't have carts)

There should technically be no need for chests in any of these places.  hoppers, droppers and dispensers can automate everything.

I'll take a look at that proposed station later

#49 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I would like to suggest that all stations, perhaps all stops should have an automatic cart recycler.

Included.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#50 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

I always carry a cart with me and pick it back up for that very reason.

#51 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:44 AM

Went to where I built my shack in the hub today and got to the chest that used to have 3 mine carts in it to find...  none.

which resulted in me running like crazy to the next place to get a cart so i could go back to where I had died to retrieve my gear.

Was not a happy camper.

I for one was putting them back where I got them from.

An auto-recycler would ensure carts at each station (btw oasis station ALSO doesn't have carts)

There should technically be no need for chests in any of these places.  hoppers, droppers and dispensers can automate everything.

I'll take a look at that proposed station later

A few of the 'newer' stations on SG5 do have that :) It's so very handy! I can see why you'd get frustrated :(

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#52 Psarge

Psarge
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

Took a look at that station.  Looks a lot better, though does look rather expensive material wise (redstone stuff)

It is missing 1 bit of idiot proofing too...

Empty cart control.  it happens...  there should be a divert to send empties back to the recycler.

#53 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

Took a look at that station.  Looks a lot better, though does look rather expensive material wise (redstone stuff)

Empty cart control.  it happens...  there should be a divert to send empties back to the recycler.

A potential work around for that is to overload the rail lines with powered rails to push carts to the stations, even empty.

But if we do that we'll at first only be using the minimum about of rails needed just to move a player (to get the system up and running with a limited gold supply) then go back later and add more powered rails. That's somewhat up in the air though.

sig.png

#54 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

A potential work around for that is to overload the rail lines with powered rails to push carts to the stations, even empty.

But if we do that we'll at first only be using the minimum about of rails needed just to move a player (to get the system up and running with a limited gold supply) then go back later and add more powered rails. That's somewhat up in the air though.
Shouldn't be too hard to get the gold, with the huge portals you get a ton of zombie pigmen for a gold farm. I'd be willing to help set something like that up, takes much less work and obsidian than before.:)

#55 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Shouldn't be too hard to get the gold, with the huge portals you get a ton of zombie pigmen for a gold farm. I'd be willing to help set something like that up, takes much less work and obsidian than before. :)

This is true, but we do have an odd issue about no grinders within/near the city, and we're pushing to get people to not run off and build in their zones.

If we made such a grinder, we'd have to build it in the wilderness for it to be useful I think :P

Either way though, even just getting the iron will be a pain. But I think the material grinder/collecting crew shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping up with the build crew. Guess we'll just wait and see.

sig.png

#56 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

It will handle empty carts as Ray pointed out with multiple powered rails which will send the cart to the next station, if people who are mining for the iron do so at gold level i think we will not have an issue acquiring enough gold. Also redstone won't be an issue, i am sure we will have plenty, There are ways to detect empty carts but the majority either look like ****, or are overly complicated, or both. Really there isn't a lot of room to play with for adding such features, i am more concerned with players abandoning carts on the track between stations rather than people launching them empty.

The only downfall to the system is it is not freight friendly, i tried to figure something out using the new activator rails to divert chest carts and i couldn't figure out a useful purpose of those rails.

#57 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

This is true, but we do have an odd issue about no grinders within/near the city, and we're pushing to get people to not run off and build in their zones.

If we made such a grinder, we'd have to build it in the wilderness for it to be useful I think :P

Either way though, even just getting the iron will be a pain. But I think the material grinder/collecting crew shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping up with the build crew. Guess we'll just wait and see.

What? :o I had the impression that grinders and farms were fine as long as they weren't in the city limits. If it's no grinders period, I'm going to have to scrap a lot of my sg6 plans!

#58 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

What? :o I had the impression that grinders and farms were fine as long as they weren't in the city limits. If it's no grinders period, I'm going to have to scrap a lot of my sg6 plans!

oh no, grinders are fine. I just mean that in the beginning days no one is going to really have much of a "build area" yet because we'll all be focused on getting the rail system up. So really the only functional build area will be around the city. Since no grinders are allowed around the city, that means the only way we could probably get a useful gold grinder is to build it in the wilderness for now and deal with the monthly resets, and rebuild it again. (Although if we all work hard together it might be possible to be completely done with the rails within a month anyway)

technically you could go run off to where ever you're going to go call home in the future and build the grinder, but imagine if you plan to live 3,000 blocks away and there's no roads, rails or anything to get around . . . That's one hell of a walk bringing mats back and forth from the wilderness just to build the thing, much less use it once you do have it built. :P

Thus, it would actually be more efficient to build it in the wilderness since there's no other reasonable "legal" place to place it yet. :o

sig.png

#59 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

oh no, grinders are fine. I just mean that in the beginning days no one is going to really have much of a "build area" yet because we'll all be focused on getting the rail system up. So really the only functional build area will be around the city. Since no grinders are allowed around the city, that means the only way we could probably get a useful gold grinder is to build it in the wilderness for now and deal with the monthly resets, and rebuild it again. (Although if we all work hard together it might be possible to be completely done with the rails within a month anyway)

technically you could go run off to where ever you're going to go call home in the future and build the grinder, but imagine if you plan to live 3,000 blocks away and there's no roads, rails or anything to get around . . . That's one hell of a walk bringing mats back and forth from the wilderness just to build the thing, much less use it once you do have it built. :P

Thus, it would actually be more efficient to build it in the wilderness since there's no other reasonable "legal" place to place it yet. :o
Ah. I see what you're saying now, that makes sense. Although I really meant once the main rails are done, just to add more powered rails. :)

#60 Psarge

Psarge
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 86 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Why push an empty cart to the next station though when empty detection is so easy?

Also keeps empty carts from zipping off to other stations and reducing the count

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users