#41 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Heads up: I just realized that there will no doubt have to be terraform alone the outer wall, so I recommend we avoid actually building those roads for the time being. Be a shame to have to just dig it up again!

Once I figure out what the wall will look like (thinking a consistent Y level for most of it) we can start terraform for the wall and road.

I was thinking we could do something like you see in old Asian fortresses, where the wall is slightly up on a hill, with the road on top. Like illustrated in this professional drawing I did:

I was thinking the same... I'll just leave the outer road until at least a section of wall is done.

To raise the ground up around the whole circumference of the outer wall will take a lot of dirt and work! (But then you seem to like projects like that!)

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#42 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

Heads up: I just realized that there will no doubt have to be terraform alone the outer wall, so I recommend we avoid actually building those roads for the time being. Be a shame to have to just dig it up again!

Once I figure out what the wall will look like (thinking a consistent Y level for most of it) we can start terraform for the wall and road.

I was thinking we could do something like you see in old Asian fortresses, where the wall is slightly up on a hill, with the road on top. Like illustrated in this professional drawing I did:

I was thinking the same... I'll just leave the outer road until at least a section of wall is done.

To raise the ground up around the whole circumference of the outer wall will take a lot of dirt and work! (But then you seem to like projects like that!)

eh, shouldn't be too bad. There will also be areas that need shaved down, so I think that dirt can be relocated.

There's also the elephant in the room; the huge-ass-mountain in one of the quarters, I don't want to remove it, but I feel the entire wall should be at the exact same Y level.. meaning we may have to shave off 30% of the mountain on that side. :o

I don't have any exact designs yet, but 3 of the 4 quarters wont be too bad to prep for the wall, but the forth will (the mountain)

sig.png

#43 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

After reviewing the areas, I'm thinking y:75 might be best, its the closest to average I can find that will work, it'll take forever to terraform, but I think if we all come together and do it, it wont take nearly as long as we think it will.

If we go with Y75, that will also put the rails right-at ground level with the roads as they leave the city, meaning we could have nice big grand entryways with roads on both sides and a rail in the middle.

I also think in most areas this will put the city low enough into the "bowl" we'd end up creating that as you walk into the city you would get a much grander view of everything, because you should be an average of 8 blocks higher than the city in most areas, it also allows the parameter road to benefit from that same higher vantage point.

Hopefully the mountain area doesnt cause *too* much trouble, thats really the only spot I'm worried about.

sig.png

#44 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

I've started out by the East gate... laid the start of a road, level with the wall foundation.

It's gonna need a bit of terraforming to join up with the ground below, but it'll be cool... looking down over the houses below.

Cooogz... sorry to mess up your lovely main road... I hope that I've joined it up correctly...  :/

#45 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

No worries Kop... :)

I do wonder though why we are doing things half arsed... Why not just dig a moat around the outside of the walls too ;)

#46 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

I do wonder though why we are doing things half arsed... Why not just dig a moat around the outside of the walls too ;)

LOL...

You forgot the pits full of cacti and creepers

#47 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I think the spawn is pretty much done. Just need to move the portals and finish the road bit. Unless someone think something is missing, then feel free to add it =)

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#48 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Sheep.

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#49 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

After reviewing the areas, I'm thinking y:75 might be best, its the closest to average I can find that will work, it'll take forever to terraform, but I think if we all come together and do it, it wont take nearly as long as we think it will.

If we go with Y75, that will also put the rails right-at ground level with the roads as they leave the city, meaning we could have nice big grand entryways with roads on both sides and a rail in the middle.

One thing to keep in mind is the rails need to be mob proof anywhere the area is at or below ground level, we do not want creepers hanging out on the tracks stopping carts and blowing up in peoples faces....

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#50 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

we do not want creepers hanging out on the tracks stopping carts and blowing up in peoples faces....

Why not?

But yeah, I noticed that problem already. May have to put some sort of minor mob protection right at the gate. Much as I dont want to, possibly a fence.

But a cobble wall may not look too bad, we'll see. ;)

sig.png

#51 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Phase 4:

sixtycityplan3.png

sixtycityplan3b.png

RED LINE:

- Terraforming (and lots of it). The entire ring needs to be terraforms to the above (wonderfully drawn) illustration.

- There is the start of the road and terraforming over at the east gate.

- FILL IN COMPLETELY, WITH NATURAL BLOCKS! Anyone caught being lazy or using something that isn't dirt, stone, gravel or sand (where applicable) will be kicked off the project.

- Make it look somewhat natural, it doesn't have to be exact anywhere but the top, that's locked at y:75.

- Follow the pattern established at the east gate leading south.

- If you hit areas too high, shave them down.

BLUE AREA:

- Mass terraforming, I need people to bring *everything* (but the mountain in the west) down to an average height of y:67, areas can be a little higher or lower. You DO NOT have to fill in. Just shave down. We want the entire city to look like it's on natural terrain, we just need to smooth it out.

PURPLE AND BLUE LINES:

- Roads and separators.

- Build 4-wide roads to the above diagram in the purple lines

- Build 2-high jungle leaves in the blue areas as plot dividers.

- Coordinates do not have to be absolutely exact, just try to get it as close as possible.

..and finally, anyone else: GO READ NEKS STUFF AND BUILD RAILS! > :o

sig.png

#52 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

- FILL IN COMPLETELY, WITH NATURAL BLOCKS! Anyone caught being lazy or using something that isn't dirt, stone, gravel or sand (where applicable) will be kicked off the project.

Tell us how you really feel.

(jk, its a pet peeve of mine, too.)

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#53 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Tell us how you really feel.

(jk, its a pet peeve of mine, too.)

Shorter Ray:

"kicked off the project" = "They will be crushed, driven before us, and we shall hear the lamentation of their women."

Posted Image

#54 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

First world problems ey!

#55 merlinver

merlinver
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 143 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

chests are setup on the East section being filled in for dirt donations. We need LOTS, and lots and lots and lots......

Changes aren't permanent.
But change is.

#56 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Ray, I was thinking of collecting wither skulls for a public beacon, what do you think of it? Would the beam be too obtrusive, or do you think it could work? :)

There used to be something here..

#57 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ray, I was thinking of collecting wither skulls for a public beacon, what do you think of it? Would the beam be too obtrusive, or do you think it could work? :)

There's no problem with some public beacons, if we do manage to get 1 or 2 we can use Fort Knox's iron to power it.

But honestly there's a lot more important things to work on (Like the rails and wall terraforming) :P

sig.png

#58 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

There's no problem with some public beacons, if we do manage to get 1 or 2 we can use Fort Knox's iron to power it.

But honestly there's a lot more important things to work on (Like the rails and wall terraforming) :P
Yeah, isn't going to be full time, just whenever I feel like something different I go to the nether and fight some wither skeletons, to relieve stress. (If that makes any sense):P
There used to be something here..

#59 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Added an updated "3d" version of the terraforming needs:

sixtycityplan3c.png

sig.png

#60 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

You sure about the in-fill Ray?

Don't you think that the (current) natural terrain would make the city more interesting? It would give people the opportunity to build much more varied house designs (e.g. Sticking out from hillsides), and the view across the city from the high-level entry gates would be far more impressive than just looking across a fairly level plain.

I agree with terraforming the land around the edges, next to the inner road, and smoothing this into the land inside, but I'm not convinced about levelling the whole area.

(P.S. Sorry I've not been on to help much... We're away on holiday with friends and no access to my computer. Back soon!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users