I know there has been some chatter about the status of the rail project, i haven't been super active due to full scale biological warfare going on inside my head at the moment. But i'll try and make it a little more clear so people can help where they can if they want.
Right now i am building the initial track layouts that give a clear template from point A to point B that players can contribute towards completing. Some stations however will require a lot more work than others, currently at the time of posting this i have a line that is 60% waterlogged and i was forced to take up fishing as a hobby for potions, the next station is 100% waterlogged so it will take awhile itself.
But for the time being here is the plan.
1. I will layout all the station tunnels, trying to explain the layout will likely add more questions than provide answers, this will take somewhat longer but if people are willing to finish connecting the dots it will go by quite well.
2. The station primary tunnels should be completed. Phase 2 and 3 can be alternated to suit the needs of the builders.
3. The above ground lines can be connected between stations that have met step 1 criteria as in i have completed the initial layout. There are a number of "above" ground tunnels to be dug as well.
4. The powered rails are to be placed in specific cords, i have not done the full calculations on these yet, but i will soon.
5. The lighting should be done on rail sections that are ready for for rails. The powered rails being placed will help with the placement of these.
6. The detector rails should be placed in the right orientation to the powered rails.
7. The regular rails can now be put into place, this will make the rail sections partially functional.
8. The stations will be built 1 at a time to make them fully automated, and ready for player connections.
9. There is no step 9, were freakin done. Today i am guessing this phase will be completed by April 1st. So 4 Months for 80,000 sections of rail, sounds feasible, also i think Ray is waiting on the station completion before adding the surrounding portals. So every bit of help will help.
Progress map, currently the light blue stations indicate the station tunnels can be completed, and any 2 light blue stations can be connected together. (note you may need to refresh your browser to see the latest updates.
How to build the station tunnels,
1. Follow the pattern from the center outward, eventually part of the inner tunnel will be removed when the station work itself starts.
How to build the above ground lines.
1. Place the wool in a straight line.
2. Add a row of stairs to the sides of the wool.
3. Build support columns, pillars, bridges, ect. To make them look realistic... NO FLOATING LINES GUYS AND GIRLS Also mob proof the lines from all hostile and passive mobs.
4. Add lighting and rails.
Update Jan 15th 2014
Ok well let me try and get some organization to this, i should have done so at the beginning but thought maybe it would work out giving everyone the freedom to work on what parts they wanted. For the most part it has, but there is always room for improvement.
Here is a list of all the lines, stations, and other tasks that need worked on / who is working on what. I will try to edit this post as people chime in.
Blue - Not Started, Red - Under Construction, Yellow - Ready for Rails. Green - Completed
Central to North - Completed
Central to South - Completed
Central to East - Completed
Central to West - Completed
N to NE - Completed
N to NW - Completed
N to FN - Completed
S to SE - Completed
S to SW -
S to FS - Completed
E to NE - Completed
E to SE -
E to FE - Completed
W to NW -
W to SW -
W to FW - Completed
NE to NNE -
NE to ENE -
NW to NNW -
NW to WNW - Completed
SE to SSE - Completed
SE to ESE - Completed
SW to SSW -
SW to WSW -
FN to NNW -
FN to NNE - Completed
FS to SSW -
FS to SSE -
FE to ENE - Completed
FE to ESE - Oribloke
FW to WNW - ?
FW to WSW -
NNW to FNW -
WNW to FNW - Completed
NNE to FNE -
ENE to FNE -
SSE to FSE - Completed
ESE to FSE - Completed
SSW to FSW -
WSW to FSW -
Station Status moved to here.
All of these details are based off the dynmap viewing, unless i have visually seen them myself noted by a * If you can please update the status of anything that has changed with it's status. Thank you!