Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I know there has been some chatter about the status of the rail project, i haven't been super active due to full scale biological warfare going on inside my head at the moment. But i'll try and make it a little more clear so people can help where they can if they want.

Right now i am building the initial track layouts that give a clear template from point A to point B that players can contribute towards completing. Some stations however will require a lot more work than others, currently at the time of posting this i have a line that is 60% waterlogged and i was forced to take up fishing as a hobby for potions, the next station is 100% waterlogged so it will take awhile itself.

But for the time being here is the plan.

1. I will layout all the station tunnels, trying to explain the layout will likely add more questions than provide answers, this will take somewhat longer but if people are willing to finish connecting the dots it will go by quite well.

2. The station primary tunnels should be completed. Phase 2 and 3 can be alternated to suit the needs of the builders.

3. The above ground lines can be connected between stations that have met step 1 criteria as in i have completed the initial layout. There are a number of "above" ground tunnels to be dug as well.

4. The powered rails are to be placed in specific cords, i have not done the full calculations on these yet, but i will soon.

5. The lighting should be done on rail sections that are ready for for rails. The powered rails being placed will help with the placement of these.

6. The detector rails should be placed in the right orientation to the powered rails.

7. The regular rails can now be put into place, this will make the rail sections partially functional.

8. The stations will be built 1 at a time to make them fully automated, and ready for player connections.

9. There is no step 9, were freakin done. Today i am guessing this phase will be completed by April 1st. So 4 Months for 80,000 sections of rail, sounds feasible, also i think Ray is waiting on the station completion before adding the surrounding portals. So every bit of help will help.

Progress map, currently the light blue stations indicate the station tunnels can be completed, and any 2 light blue stations can be connected together. (note you may need to refresh your browser to see the latest updates.

Station_Status.png

How to build the station tunnels,

1. Follow the pattern from the center outward, eventually part of the inner tunnel will be removed when the station work itself starts.

How to build the above ground lines.

1. Place the wool in a straight line.

2. Add a row of stairs to the sides of the wool.

3. Build support columns, pillars, bridges, ect. To make them look realistic... NO FLOATING LINES GUYS AND GIRLS :P Also mob proof the lines from all hostile and passive mobs.

4. Add lighting and rails.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Update Jan 15th 2014

Ok well let me try and get some organization to this, i should have done so at the beginning but thought maybe it would work out giving everyone the freedom to work on what parts they wanted. For the most part it has, but there is always room for improvement.

Here is a list of all the lines, stations, and other tasks that need worked on / who is working on what. I will try to edit this post as people chime in.

Rail Mainlines

Blue - Not Started, Red - Under Construction, Yellow - Ready for Rails. Green - Completed

Central to North - Completed

Central to South - Completed

Central to East - Completed

Central to West - Completed

N to NE - Completed

N to NW - Completed

N to FN - Completed

S to SE - Completed

S to SW -

S to FS - Completed

E to NE - Completed

E to SE -

E to FE - Completed

W to NW -

W to SW -

W to FW  - Completed

NE to NNE -

NE to ENE -

NW to NNW -

NW to WNW - Completed

SE to SSE - Completed

SE to ESE - Completed

SW to SSW -

SW to WSW -

FN to NNW -

FN to NNE - Completed

FS to SSW -

FS to SSE -

FE to ENE - Completed

FE to ESE - Oribloke

FW to WNW - ?

FW to WSW -

NNW to FNW -

WNW to FNW - Completed

NNE to FNE -

ENE to FNE -

SSE to FSE - Completed

ESE to FSE - Completed

SSW to FSW -

WSW to FSW -

Station Status moved to here.

All of these details are based off the dynmap viewing, unless i have visually seen them myself noted by a * If you can please update the status of anything that has changed with it's status. Thank you!

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Red_Letters

Red_Letters
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 76 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I carved out some of the green railway today, through the mountains near spawn.  I took it out to 300, and looks to be clear for a while.

Do we have a consistent design for support columns?

#3 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

I made some supports on RED railway... perhaps they are spaced a bit close to each other. But I do not believe there is a standard design. Nek said in chat it was up to us? Although standard design might look better?

#4 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

There is no standard design for supports, i wanted to leave this completely open with few restrictions to give people the opportunity to be creative, feel like making 200 arches in one stretch today, then enjoy. Want a bridge over the river in the valley? Sure take your best idea you got. suspension? arched? cable stay? truss? what ever you would like.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 Red_Letters

Red_Letters
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 76 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Does "Station tracks laid out" mean that the tracks of that station are built up to y75 in all four directions?

#6 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

Does "Station tracks laid out" mean that the tracks of that station are built up to y75 in all four directions?

It means the template for the mainlines at the station is complete, tracks are not happening yet.

#7 SoonerDead

SoonerDead
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 167 posts
  • LocationO-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!
  • Nationality:American

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Just an update; finished far nnw and far nw today

Some people build towers... I just dig holes....

On my way down again, on my way down

#8 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:39 AM

I was working on the green line north and noticed that the wool was being covered with slabs on the bottom.  I agree that this looks better.  I tried putting slabs just below the wool, rather than all the way across the bottom.  I like the way it looks, more textured and more structure support like.  It saves resources too.  You can check out the two approaches at -2, -645.

In the same area I was trying to finish the other rail support, and for the life of me I could not reproduce the two tiered step  at the top of the tower when I tried to finish the other tower in this area.  Pic attached off what I was trying to imitate.  So sorry, my reproduction is not the same.  If some could tell me how it's done, I will fix the one I did, I think yours looks better.

rail%20support.png

#9 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

How are rail tunnels going to be lit?  I noticed the current tunnel design has steps immediately adjacent to the rail, with steps going up each side of the tunnel.  If we are planning on using overhead glowstone lighting this is OK since there is a two block strip in the ceiling.  If we plan to light anywhere on the side I don't see a way to do that with the current design.

I think overhead flowstone is good, so the current approach is fine, just checking.

#10 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

How are rail tunnels going to be lit.  I noticed the current tunnel design has steps immediately adjacent to the rail, with steps going up each side of the tunnel.  If we are planning on using overhead flowstone lighting this is OK since there is a two block strip in the ceiling.  If we plan to light anywhere on the side I don't see a way to do that with the current design.

I think overhead flowstone is good, so the current approach is fine, just checking.

Glowstone in the ceiling, the exception to this is on the angled sections of track that dip down to the stations themselves the glowstone will be in the wall since the walls are solid vs the stepped back design.

Once i get all the stations done for the preliminary layout, 10 out of 25 done at the moment, then i plan on going thru and setting in place the glowstone that way track placement can begin. Hopefully we have a chest of the stuff by then if we do not already.

I also think the station diameters themselves will be increased by 8 blocks, this will give a little more room to work with inside for stairways and such, and if they are to be increased in size, now is the time. i may put out a drawing of the change in the next day or so.

#11 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

2 levels of steps with slabs is how I did it. I started to change it to slabs on the underside.
I like coffee!

#12 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Green line from central station to north station done (except for supports and cosmetic coverage of wool from below).  First connection!  Useful as a horse road right now too.  

Ready for rails.

Note: I deviated from prior tunnel entries when going into north station.  I put pedestrian walkways on each side -prior examples had the rails right against the wall - which is unsafe : )   I hope that little deviation doesn't get me in trouble.

Wow this takes a long time, I spent the better part of a  day on it, and the segment already had a good start.  Probably another day to put in the supports.

#13 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Well the rail lines are not intended to be pedestrian walkways... Rails wont conflict with the walls unless they are turning in which case there is room designed with space for these situations.

#14 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

it does take you longer than you think especially when night comes and you're constantly under attack while trying to build supports.  Then you stand back and think, "I dont like that" and start again!

I did end up prefering the last support I made, just before the tunnel but I must admit to copying that from the blue line.  Then Christmas came and I had no time.  Out all day today too.

Imagine how long the connecting roads will take to build.

I like coffee!

#15 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:49 AM

I think I started to put the slabs underneath and the two tiered supports... You don't have to copy me though.

I just did two rings of steps around the pillar. Well lowest tier is just two steps each side of the pillar in the direction of the rail line. Upper tier is a complete ring of steps around a 2x4 square? If that makes sense?

#16 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

I think I started to put the slabs underneath and the two tiered supports... You don't have to copy me though.

I just did two rings of steps around the pillar. Well lowest tier is just two steps each side of the pillar in the direction of the rail line. Upper tier is a complete ring of steps around a 2x4 square? If that makes sense?

I was running into trouble with trying to place the steps against slabs.  I changed it for the supports I put in later anyway.  I am just now putting a single ring of steps around the support at the top.  

#17 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

it does take you longer than you think especially when night comes and you're constantly under attack while trying to build supports.  Then you stand back and think, "I dont like that" and start again!

Yeah.  It's kind of unnerving when you have a huge crowd of spiders and zombies following you along on the ground as you are working along the rail, just waiting for you to fall off.  And then guess what, a skelly comes along and knocks you off.  I've had some pretty fierce mob fights on this job, and it seems like a witch is often hanging around too - maybe they like trains.  In fact I think all the mobs must like trains, there are so many!  Maybe it's my aftershave?  

And what is this about creeping on steps,?  Either I I'm dyslexic or sometimes it just doesn't seem to work and I fall off on my own.  

Note to rail workers. Arrive for the night shift well armed and with your armor in good condition.  A fringe benefit of employment is that night work will raise your kill stats.  

#18 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:09 AM

Well we are moving right along, as of today Dec 29th we have

11 of 25 of the priliminary stations ready to be connected to.

7 of 40 line foundations nearing completion.

Gotta put out a request to all the thrill seekers out there that we need a Glowstone party so we can start getting some of these lines partially operational.

To everyone who has contributed thank you, and don't get yourself burnt out, take a break if need be,

#19 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

To everyone who has contributed thank you, and don't get yourself burnt out, take a break if need be,

Is there any workman's comp on this job?  I have wrist pain from all those thousands of right clicks placing blocks.

#20 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Ray is buying us all new mice:-D
I like coffee!

0 user(s) are reading this topic