GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

Now need to build a bridge spanning the water between North and Northeast station on the blue line.

thinking about how this large water should be spanned

We already have one classic suspension bridge, rather than doing another one like it, I think a different design would make the map more interesting.  The span of water is more than double in this case, so I think it will require at least two suspension spans.  I spotted this bridge, the Natchez Trail bridge, would uses underneath arching supports. I think it looks pretty cool.  I think 2 or possibly three segments would look good, requiring at least two or more deep water towers.  What do people think?

Guide-Mississippis-Natchez-Trace-Parkway

#23 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

That design would look great! It has a nice and clean feel to it, modern, just not obtrusivly so. :)
There used to be something here..

#24 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

If you needed more height you could always make those same arches go higher than the rail line and use suspenders on those sections where it higher?

Something like this but with more than one arch.. :) Just an idea... Assume we will need quite a few different bridge ideas.

400px-YangtzeRiverBridge.jpg

Or of anyone is feeling ambitious? :)

o-BRIDGE-900.jpg

#25 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'd always go for the suspenders  8))))

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#26 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

If you needed more height you could always make those same arches go higher than the rail line and use suspenders on those sections where it higher?

Something like this but with more than one arch.. :) Just an idea... Assume we will need quite a few different bridge ideas.

Or of anyone is feeling ambitious? :)

Yes, I was was wondering what the Y value of the water was, and how much space I would have to 75, limited the length of each span based on how much of an arch you could build working with just Y-water line.  taking the arch above would be a good way to avoid this limitation.

#27 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:34 PM

Who started the third tunnel on the green line heading north from central? it's around Z= -700.  It's partly done and has some furnaces and chests inset in the wall.  I am happy to finish it, it's the only thing left to do on that segment, but I don't want to take over someone's project without asking.    Let me know if you want to finish it or would like me to.  It just needs some stairs on and slabs here and there.

#28 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

It was me, I am guilty of not finishing it although I have run through it about 300 times.  Feel free to finish it if you want to, use whats in the chests if there is anything useful there.

I like coffee!

#29 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

OK, I'll do it on one of my return trips 

#30 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Worked on the red and purple lines going south from central station. The wool is completely done in those segments, and the red line has all its stairs.

Still todo:

Purple wool's stairs

Supports on both lines

Prettying up the tunnels; someone else can feel free to take this over.

#31 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Question: Are we connecting the rails all the way to the station platform? In other words, are we doing this:

LsQSdZ5.png

Or this:

l3UpaOk.png

Asking because I've been doing it the second way, but someone else who started working the same station is doing it the first way, so it's inconsistent atm.

#32 Cooogz

Cooogz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Stick

• 404 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Nationality:RSA & UK

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

Second way is just Nek being lazy ;)

Will be wool all they way to the center. The one block bits are just to show which line is which colour.

#33 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

I am trying to get all the rail lines going into the stations, carrying all the supplies and taking the time to completely build such rail layouts by myself will take 3 to 6 months on my own, the preliminary layout of the wool is to show where the lines will be, some people are helping finish off the tunnels, but did not have the wool either.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#34 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio
  • Nationality:American

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

FYI, all wool has been farmed, but I am leaving the sheep farm up for now, just in case.

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#35 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Wool is 99% laid out for both lines going from central to far south. I didn't bring quite enough purple wool to finish off the last bit; I'll try to get that wrapped up tomorrow. After that, going to work on pillars. I'm hoping the south southwest will be ready to receive the connection from far south by the time I'm ready to move on.

#36 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Can we have a map with coloured lines so we know what wool to place where?

#37 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

I updated the map to a different version... Any two stations that have a color are ready to have the Main Lines built between them, as you can see many lines are started, but none are 100% complete, the main issue with the ones that appear to be complete is they are not "Mob Proof" or they are missing the support pillars / bridges. and there were pigs and chickens all over the place. In order to ensure the rail network is fully operational these issues need to be completed, trees need to be cut back at least 2 blocks, fence needs placed along the parts at ground level, or trenches should be 2 wide, even ensuring mobs can not jump off hills from above should be looked into, until then i do not see laying rails being an option.

Also many of the stations i marked as having the tunnels being done are not completely done, for some reason many of the tunnels themselves were finished out, but the inclines were never touched.

I will do my best to keep the map up to date, however i can not completely verify the status of the tunnels or inclines or rail lines being completed without actually traveling there and visually verifying the status of these.

I borrowed Sparky from GT's pen and took him for a ride down as many lines as i could for over an hour and still didn't ride them all. Remember we are early into this project, it will take time. Until i can get the last 10 stations preliminary layouts done and the mob proofing is completed the rails will have to wait.

I am trying my best to keep everything moving forward in a timely manner, the out pouring of those helping out is amazing and much appreciated by me and the rest of the server. At the rate we are going we may yet finish this project sooner than later.

One other note, i know the yellow wool is in place for the western station (actually it went to far) but the western station may be the last to be completed, this is a water station and they require a ton of clay and glass to complete, and fort knox is currently out of both. Plus they are very time consuming, therefor i will be concentrating on getting the preliminary layouts done for the surrounding land locked stations first.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#38 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Nek... I'm not able to be any help ATM as I'm on holiday, but I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the work you're putting in, co-ordinating this. Good work, buddy!

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#39 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

I suggest we make rail-teams :D so much more fun building them with someone! Also I finished the cosmetical part of the central station, but I have no clue about the functional stuff :)

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#40 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

also I think we need more stone in fort knox :D go go miners!

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users