Serlin3
  • Pip
  • Log

• 156 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

Hi all,

Before I bare my soul and introduce myself, I feel a humourous need to offer a 'Nietzsche-ian' warning about gazing into abysses and them gazing back...lol.  With that out of the way:

-My name is Bob.  I'm 41 and learning everyday. 

-I studied business in school, but surely disappointed (and frightened) my Mom & Dad by joining the Army fifteen years ago.  Leading soldiers can be difficult, but I've long since come to realize I can only do my best and never quit.  The rest isn't up to me.

-I'm married with kids - wives and kids are, by turns: exalting, exhausting, exhilarating and expensive.

-I enjoy sports, technology, science and pretty much any hands-on things. 

-I'll try to repair pretty much anything by myself before spending money on getting it fixed - I think its a chance to learn, hard work keeps a man honest, and failure, although vexing, probably keeps me humble.

-I've been known to dabble in the black arts of computers (hardware and software) and find it quite challenging.  My Dad drives me nuts when he calls for help with his 'furnace' (that warm black computer box under his desk).

-I had a subscription to Sports Illustrated and Readers Digest this past year (seems the word was out on the street that I was a sucker for supporting school kids selling magazine subscriptions for fund-raising) - but couldn't read them fast enough.  There's now a backlog three and half months long in my reading folio (i.e. beside the toilet).  Note to self - reading the hockey season preview issue isn't nearly as enjoyable when the season's already half over.

-Similar to the reading point above, I have a backlog of books at my bedside.  Currently I'm reading "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type", about the influence your blood type has on diet, metabolism, etc (although an intriguing idea, just too naturopathic for my taste).  I'm also continuing to pick away at the Old Testament (horribly disappointing read), and I'm looking forward to blitzing through either Nicholas Nickleby (Dickens) or First Phone Call From Heaven (Mitch Albom) in the coming months.  I quite enjoy Dickens and Albom so these are going to be fun reads.  By the way, if you want a good quick read, I recommend you check out Five People You Meet in Heaven by Albom - a real tear jerker for me every time.

-I studied my buns off to learn French (cold turkey) last year.  In twelve months, I went from zero to hero.  When the course ended, I returned to work and have barely used the language since.  I'm now pretty much back to zero.  Life's funny like that.

-I enjoy games (video, board, etc) and movies (love going to the Cineplex with, well, pretty much anyone).

-I came up with the name 'Serlin' many years ago when playing RPGs (possibly Dragon Warrior on the original Nintendo - or AD&D before that).  I don't know why, but I've used it for many usernames ever since.

Okay, that's plenty for now.  You'll figure out more about me on the server.  See you around.

#2 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi Bob welcome to the server, hope your stay in Limbo is enjoyable and prepares you for the trip to SG6 map.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi Bob

Wow... You're a busy man! Thanks for the reading tips, although I too have a to-read list that takes up about a metre of shelf space. One day, when mini-Kop is older, I'll read it all!

Looking forward to seeing you on the server.

Kop

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#4 HybridGenetiX

HybridGenetiX
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 185 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida
  • Nationality:American

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hey Bob and Welcome,

I too have a stack of books by my bedside. The last complete book I read  was Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey. Currently I'm slowly working on some short stories by Steven King. Anyways have fun in Limbo! See you on the other side!

#5 Serlin3

Serlin3
  • Pip
  • Log

• 156 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

^^

Incredibly, I've never read a book by Stephen King!  What would you recommend as the best one to start with?

#6 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

(Jumping in here... Sorry Hybrid!)

Not his usual horror fare, but I was totally swept away by Stephen King's Dark Tower series... Deep, complex, beautifully written.

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#7 HybridGenetiX

HybridGenetiX
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 185 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida
  • Nationality:American

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Steven King isn't all horror. Misery, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile. The book I'm reading currently is "Just After Dark" it is a collection of short stories. The first one is call Willa. Its pretty good if you like ghost stories.

#8 ecclamw

ecclamw
  • Pip
  • Seasoned
  • Log

• 115 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Heya Serlin,

Welcome!  This place is pretty groovy with really nice people.  When I first joined the server I remember thinking that I would be the oldest person on the server.  I am 43 and I never imagined that I would be wrong.  It's pretty amazing how something like MC and this server can bring together people of different ages and different locations and unify them.  I hope you enjoy your stay on the server!

-Ali

Posted Image

#9 Elanderine

Elanderine
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 67 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

WElcome Bob. I am Matt. I worked with some Army guys up in Northern Afghanistan a while back doing some stuff. I hope you enjoy your stay in the limbo and welcome to sever when you arrive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users