Photo

One new rule added for clarification purposes.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

I've added a new rule to the server, this one is really just clarification on our harvest/building rules. A lot of people have asked about it specifically, so I figure best-bet was to just make an official rule about it.

The Rule:

- You may not loot naturally generated structures of any kind unless you plan on using them. Even if they are in your build area. If you have no intention on utilizing a natural structure for a project, don't touch it!

This applies to all naturally generated structures, including: Spawners, mineshafts, templates, villages, etc. You *can* loot them if you plan on using them. If for example you wanted to convert a village into something for your own build, or convert a spawner into a grinder. But if you have no intention of using the natural structure for anything, even if it is in your build area you should not be messing with it.

sig.png

#2 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

I took potatoes from a Desert Village that was on a rail line because I needed food while working on the rail stations.  I replanted, of course.  The village was already closed off, didn't touch anything else.

Is this OK? Running back to spawn for food seemed a bit ridiculous when there were tasty potatoes right there.

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#3 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

I took potatoes from a Desert Village that was on a rail line because I needed food while working on the rail stations.  I replanted, of course.  The village was already closed off, didn't touch anything else.

Is this OK? Running back to spawn for food seemed a bit ridiculous when there were tasty potatoes right there.

As long as your not taking what isn't yours, taking crops and replanting is one thing, treating the main map like it is the wilderness is another. I know of one dungeon that was looted by someone passing by, and there are numerous temples and villages that are easily accessible, but anything on the main map should be treated as if it is someones else s unless you are directly using those structures as your own.

In the future someone may decide to take over a village or a temple, and having them fully intact for those players is the right thing to do.

Common sense and courtesy is all we as members of this server should consider. Taking a potato and replanting is hardly griefing or stealing, looting someones else s property is unacceptable.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 SoonerDead

SoonerDead
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 167 posts
  • LocationO-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

I don't think I looted anything from the main map.... I think my loot run was all in the wilds... if I did loot anything in the main map then I am sorry and would/will replace it if I knew what I took!

Some people build towers... I just dig holes....

On my way down again, on my way down

#5 HybridGenetiX

HybridGenetiX
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 185 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Sounds reasonable! 

#6 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

Nek, how does what you're saying jibe with Ray's statement that we shouldn't touch it even if it's in our build area? That's not someone else's property, that's our property. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

#7 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Nek, how does what you're saying jibe with Ray's statement that we shouldn't touch it even if it's in our build area? That's not someone else's property, that's our property. Unless I'm misunderstanding something?

in a nutshell, don't touch it unless you plan to use it, period. Meaning if there's a dungeon under your build but you have no intention on doing anything with it (Like make a grinder or something) don't touch it. Same with mineshafts, villages, etc. If you don't plan on using it somehow, don't loot/damage it just because you own the land in the area.

It falls in line with the "no harvesting" rules, you shouldn't be collecting any natural resources from the map what so ever unless it's interfering with your build (For example, you can clear cut a forest to place a build but not because you just need some wood)

sig.png

#8 Rijjick

Rijjick
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

I understand that. Just confused as to Nek's logic. Doesn't really seem to follow what you're saying.

#9 srm86

srm86
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • SixtyGig Admin

• 1,557 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Seems pretty clear to me! Exactly what Ray said. Doesn't seem like we need any more clarification. Thanks Ray!

#10 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

Wolf i am confused on what you are confused about, i don't know what i said that doesn't reiterate what Ray said. I suppose all i can do is take my comment, break it down and explain my thoughts and meaning.

As long as your not taking what isn't yours - If something is not yours and is a non renewable resource don't take it.

taking crops and replanting is one thing, treating the main map like it is the wilderness is another. - To take crops from a village is fine as long as you replant, i would say the same about another players fields, if they complain about that they are being silly.

I know of one dungeon that was looted by someone passing by - This should not happen on the main map, lighting it up and marking it is one thing, looting the chests is unacceptable if it is not in your claim, further more ray would prefer you don't loot it if it is in your claim but have no intention of using it.

there are numerous temples and villages that are easily accessible - again much like the dungeons if it is not yours, not in your claim, and you have no intention of using it do not ransack it for your own gain, i think the exception to this rule would be to protect the populous from being murdered by zombies, A) either by locking them in their houses B) fencing them off and lighting the area.

anything on the main map should be treated as if it is someones else s unless you are directly using those structures as your own. - this means the main map is not the wilderness, treat the entire map as if it is your neighbors, if it's not yours don't take it. Obviously there is some leeway to this, if your cutting threw a forest and need to break a leaf block no one is going to care, or if your trying to get over a hill and need to place a similar block (ie dirt on dirt) then i think that is fine, but doing this to get somewhere cause your lazy and not removing it as you go is unacceptable.

In the future someone may decide to take over a village or a temple, and having them fully intact for those players is the right thing to do. - Exactly as it states, either an existing member or even a player who hasn't even applied yet may see a location on the dynmap that is a village with a temple right next door, this is the spot they decided they want without ever even going there, wouldn't it be a much more enjoyable experience if they staked their claim started revamping the village and the village had a set of horse armor in the blacksmith, rather than a 1/2 destroyed blacksmith that has an empty chest and holes in the wall.

Common sense and courtesy is all we as members of this server should consider. - Ya that!

Taking a potato and replanting is hardly griefing or stealing, looting someones else s property is unacceptable. - What more can i say?

I am not trying to be sarcastic or be an ass, i just do not understand what i said that is misleading or nonconforming to what Ray said.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#11 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

I think this clarification thread is good.  Before this I would not have thought it wrong to take items from a dungeon chest I found in the main map.  In my mind, it's in a chest, not visible, the fact that it is there or not is not very relevant to other players.  Like they come by and open it up and see a nice pretty diamond or saddle it the chest, say ooh and either take it or just move on.  Otherwise, taking the item when finding it makes absolutely no difference to anyone.  You either go with the first come first serve on this one or say no one gets it and it just sits there.

This is more of a principle and less than a common sense issue to me.   It amplifies the idea of treating the main map like a museum for others to appreciate, even if the artwork is not readily visible.    I am happy to follow the rules on this, but until stated it left many of us open to  charges.  In the past, I have usually found such chests on the main map in SG5 EMPTY, reinforcing my impression this was an OK thing to do.   In fact, I don't think I ever found a temple chest with it's contents intact before.   So I do not think I am alone in my view that this was OK to do, although I don't think anyone else has had the guts to admit it.  And I do  think its a shame to have to forego precious resources such as saddles and horse armor when found.  But the rules are the rules, at least once they are expressed.  As far as I know, this one has never been stated until now.

I stand corrected and shall reform. 

#12 HybridGenetiX

HybridGenetiX
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 185 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

Troll I agree with you! I never looted any villages or temples in the main map except for the one in my build area. I can 100% agree with not touching them. When new players come on it would be nice to have untouched areas to explore. The one part that was confusing and I think it's the part that Wolf was confused on was looting special chest in your build area. Some people picked areas with villages just to have one close by. What if you built protective walls around the village? Could you loot it then? Also the Dungeons underneath your house should stay untouched is a little weird because I don't believe no one else should be under there but me sooo if I left it untouched no one would benefit from that. Before that rule change I discovered two spawners under my house a zombie and a spider. Honestly I looted both. I did turn the zombie spawner into a grinder in my defense. But like GT rules are rules and so it's written...so shall it be!

#13 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

Before this I would not have thought it wrong to take items from a dungeon chest I found in the main map. This is more of a principle and less than a common sense issue to me.   It amplifies the idea of treating the main map like a museum for others to appreciate, even if the artwork is not readily visible.

I am just as guilty of doing the same GT, however using the museum analogy is good, the plan is not to change maps again, this is it the final home of SixtyGig, so lets try our best not to take away the beauty of the world and preserve it for future players, builds, and enjoyment of all.

Also the Dungeons underneath your house should stay untouched is a little weird because I don't believe no one else should be under there but me sooo if I left it untouched no one would benefit from that.

I agree that if it is directly in your land under your house leaving it does seem a little silly, i do not know what Ray intentions are with this, but truth be told everyone will have a chest full of these exact same items in no time regardless.

#14 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

Nek said "...this is it the final home of SixtyGig...", I love your optimism!  Look out for those swedes!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#15 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Also the Dungeons underneath your house should stay untouched is a little weird because I don't believe no one else should be under there but me sooo if I left it untouched no one would benefit from that.

I agree that if it is directly in your land under your house leaving it does seem a little silly, i do not know what Ray intentions are with this, but truth be told everyone will have a chest full of these exact same items in no time regardless.

I agree it is a bit silly since no one will ever use it, but if the person there isn't using it either it's also equally as silly to break it just because. I'd just light it up and be done with it. :o For example, on SG5, my old spider grinder has a 5th spawner right behind the wall under the redstone room. It was out of reach to make part of the grinder so I just left it there, but it's literally 2 blocks on the other side of the wall. There was also another 20~ blocks away I ignored as well.

Actually Hybrid's area is a good example of how to explain the gray areas, his village looks to me like he intends it to be part of his build eventually, thus he should probably have the rights to everything inside it, the villagers, etc. Unless you plan on not touching it all, but I assume you aren't based on what I've seen so far.

But if the village was in your area, and you had no intention on using it, you would of left it be. But going off the assumption you have plans for that village, it's all yours to do with what you please.

sig.png

#16 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

I'm a bit sad that this thread is starting to shape into a typical consumer product legal warning pamphlet  ... "please don't put the hairspray can into the microwave oven because it's going to explode".

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#17 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:10 AM

I don't like breaking spanners. Once it's gone it's gone. If I come across one when I'm building it then becomes part of my build.
I like coffee!

#18 HybridGenetiX

HybridGenetiX
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 185 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

I agree it is a bit silly since no one will ever use it, but if the person there isn't using it either it's also equally as silly to break it just because. I'd just light it up and be done with it. :o For example, on SG5, my old spider grinder has a 5th spawner right behind the wall under the redstone room. It was out of reach to make part of the grinder so I just left it there, but it's literally 2 blocks on the other side of the wall. There was also another 20~ blocks away I ignored as well.

Actually Hybrid's area is a good example of how to explain the gray areas, his village looks to me like he intends it to be part of his build eventually, thus he should probably have the rights to everything inside it, the villagers, etc. Unless you plan on not touching it all, but I assume you aren't based on what I've seen so far.

Ray I 100% agree on not breaking spawners. The spider spawner under my house that I will most likely not use is still there all lit up with torches. Just saying I took the much needed saddle out the chest. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users