Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

Nice Blu!  I have an early Pi that serves some media on my network via XBMC.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#42 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 05 November 2014 - 11:25 AM

Nice Blu!  I have an early Pi that serves some media on my network via XBMC.

Ah, nearly forgot to mention! It's got XBMC too, even though I'll probably never use it since it can't play Netflix or DVDs. I was meaning to install a DVD player, but all the ones I tried drew too much power from the hub, rendering it useless. :/

There used to be something here..

#43 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

-very big snip-

Good work man, I'm impressed, especially concerning how young you are. I wish I had gotten into stuff like this in Junior High, but I'm just starting to get into the nitty gritty this year. 

Good luck with your future endeavors, but I gotta ask ya, how hard was it? I'm not asking to know how hard it is for me, I want to know how hard it was for you. :P I understand the idea of endless Googling and tutorials. :P

Smile! :)

#44 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

-very big snip-

Good work man, I'm impressed, especially concerning how young you are. I wish I had gotten into stuff like this in Junior High, but I'm just starting to get into the nitty gritty this year.

Good luck with your future endeavors, but I gotta ask ya, how hard was it? I'm not asking to know how hard it is for me, I want to know how hard it was for you. :P I understand the idea of endless Googling and tutorials. :P
Thanks! :D

I didn't find it extremely hard to do, the challenging parts were wrapping my head around more complex electrical circuits and their uses (such as USB back powering, pull up and pull down resistors [even though I didn't end up using them]), as well as the new tool techniques I had to learn (soldering is surprisingly easy!)

All of the other things were mostly figuring out how to apply skills I already had, and spending time doing those things (it took forever). Not particularly hard, besides a few roadblocks. :)

I actually did this project mainly to learn from it. I'll use it for a year maybe, then get tired of it and it sits in the cabinet for a while, but the things I have learned and skills I've developed will last me much longer. :)

#45 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

As you may or may not have noticed, I’ve been on hiatus from SixtyGig for the past couple months. In addition to being a little bit overwhelmed by the new school year (I’ve thankfully started to get a better handle on things, starting to reintegrate myself to minecraft now) I’ve been spending a most of my free time up until now on an electronics project I decided to try. :)

Enter PiNES!
8UlXdPD.jpg
I had the idea of putting a Raspberry Pi (read: credit card sized computer, kind of like Arduino) inside of an old NES console, programmed to play old games. In my research I discovered that I was not the only one to have this idea — in fact, it had been done quite a few times in the past, but sadly not very well documented. Despite that, I had a lot of help with the hardware from this video of people who did the same thing, although it seems they left out a few steps. 

What follows is a long and detailed explanation of the technical features and how I did things, with some pictures too! :D Before that, though, here's the final result, and a screenshot from FFVI/III:
Spoiler
Long and detailed explanation:
Spoiler

I've been having a ton of fun putting this together, but now it's time to get back into MC. :D

I love it Drags! I want to see how this develops as  I love the old consoles! Still have my SNES. Regretably I sold my NES 20 years ago.

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#46 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

I love it Drags! I want to see how this develops as  I love the old consoles! Still have my SNES. Regretably I sold my NES 20 years ago.

Thanks! That's too bad about the NES, though. The one in my family got sold as well, maybe even given away. Oh well, I hope they're both being put to good use!

#47 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:10 PM

I've finally finished some more floors of my basement! The farming floor:

Spoiler

This has water activated crops and such. It's a different style than I usually do, a bit too busy IMO, but it turned out nice anyway! :D

The melon/pumpkin floor:

Spoiler

I really over planned for this one. I now have WAYY too many pumpkins and melons. I'm going to set up a little stand in the hotel with melons and pumpkin pies :) If you need any melons/pumpkins, come on over! (Bring feather falling boots, there are holes). Here's how to operate the minecart elevator:

Down:

Simply drop down through the minecart at the ground floor. You may have to adjust yourself until you start falling, the ladders or trapdoors might catch you. It takes a little practice, but it's easy once you get the hang of it.

To stop at a floor, hold shift. A ladder that is positioned at your floor will catch you, and still holding shift, right-click the minecart that you've stopped at.  It will automatically eject you out, providing you're holding shift. 

To go up:

Right click any minecart. Look up. Hold down right click. Yell loudly for best results.

Press shift to exit once you are at the ground mine cart of a floor (the mine cart that has ladders under it, not trapdoors). It will eject you somewhere nearby.

NOTE: ONLY EXIT THE MINECARTS WITH LADDERS UNDER THEM. I have no idea where the ones with trapdoors under them will dump you! (The trapdoors are there so that you go down more quickly.)

Take as many melons or pumpkins you need, but remember to press the button while you're there! Also, feel free to take any crops from the floor above that one, providing you replant of course. If you AFK, might want to box yourself in. I *think* I've got it mob proofed, but better safe than sorry.

#48 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Finished my end house!

http://imgur.com/a/AvkPl

#49 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

That is very cool DragonWing! That is probably the nicest house I've ever seen built in the end. Can you believe this......Three years of playing MC and I've never been to the end. Good Grief! LOL

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#50 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

That is very cool DragonWing! That is probably the nicest house I've ever seen built in the end. Can you believe this......Three years of playing MC and I've never been to the end. Good Grief! LOL

Hah, thanks... Although there's probably not much competition. :P Hopefully that will change soon if more end houses are built!

It's quite a nice place... Once the endermen have been done away with ;)

#51 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 11:39 PM

Very sweet build Blue, but a "nice" place??  Ye gods what do you consider to be a not nice place then!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#52 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:53 AM

A late happy birthday to you Dragon! :D

And I love your end-house, been sneaking around in it a bit and its sooo pretty! I'll join you as a neighbour soon, just need to have an idea what to build.

Have a good day

Claudia

#53 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

Thank you both! I'll enjoy a neighbor any day ;)

#54 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

Oh I love that house immensely Blue! 

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#55 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

Public witch farm completed! Based on the Official Efficiency Ranking system, it is at the efficiency level of "Kinda efficient".  

Many thanks to Stophix for the help in lighting the caves! :D

Collection system at the top with an AFK box:

azwNNs9.png

The water-covered shade platform and the ladder going up to the AFK spot:

9uuCP4S.png

On/Off switch at ground level:

5Hcll9W.png

It is near the FSE station.

#56 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

Very cool DragonScale! I shall pay a visit soon enough so I can see what you've been up to. Come to think of it...I don't know if I have ever visited. All the more reason! :)

#57 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

Public witch farm completed! Based on the Official Efficiency Ranking system, it is at the efficiency level of "Kinda efficient".  

<snip>

You're a straight savage. For real.

Well done, I think I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate all the hard work you put into selfless community build like this. Cookies for you!

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#58 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

<snip>

You're a straight savage. For real.

Well done, I think I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate all the hard work you put into selfless community build like this. Cookies for you!

Heh, happy to help. I use them too, so why not go all out and make it for everyone! :D

#59 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:23 AM

Thanks Blu, appreciated. What's the yield? I must come and check it out  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#60 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Blu, appreciated. What's the yield? I must come and check it out  8)

The yield is nothing special, but it's a steady trickle. :) Feel free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users