As we progress closer to getting the main lines in place the decor needs to be completed on the stations for the lines to depart and arrive from. Each station should have 6 aspects considered into the overall design.
1. The top station does not need to be anything fancy, It could be a simple building as below or even some stairways leading down. Keep in mind we want to keep wild animals and such out of the lower stations so they need some kind of mob proof entrance. Also the top section of station does not have to be directly above the rails, but try to keep them relatively close, in the case of the water stations there is the options of having more than 1 top station on opposite sides of the body of water with tunnels connecting to the rail stations themselves.
2. Stations need to have at least one set of horse friendly stairs connecting it from the lower station to the top station. Tho it is possible to add as many as 4. People will use the rails for horses once the entire system is functional, we can not and will not enforce any rule banning this activity, so consider this into your design. Just angle out on the 4 angled blocks between the rail lines a few blocks before turning the stairs and you should be safe from interfering with the redstonery.
3. It is recommended you provide a stable with pens, and additional hitching posts in your station design to safely contain members pack animals and steeds.
4. Some stations will have portals to other worlds located within them, if you are designing one of these stations (NNW, WNW, SSW, WSW, NNE, ENE, SSE, ESE) then you should consider the location of the portal and clearly mark them. The portals will be located in the top half of the station at or around ground level.
5. Add a few main roads around your station people can connect to over time, although the road system likely will never be done, but it would be nice if players did work on them at their own pace. The roads connecting to the stations do not need to be long, 10 - 20 blocks long, just an indication of where they are.
6. Design elements, you are free to use whatever materials you want in your designs, but all the stations have had glass blocks and panes added to the launcher area, which i think adds to the launcher design and would prefer this element to remain, and keep in mind there is redstone mechanics where the birch planks are so having redstone lamps in the center floor area may lead to conflicts. Also the buttons must be wood, it was brought to my attention that with the launcher design some people may experience latency issues, wood buttons provide a redstone signal 150% the equivalent of stone buttons and to reduce any one person having an issue due to a bad connection we will sacrifice some looks to ensure they can enjoy their SixtyGig rail experience.
One other thing to keep in mind is there is redstonery behind the 4 walls surrounding the rail lines as seen in the above image with the buttons and signs. The current design is 10 - 12 blocks wide, and 7 blocks tall although i am working on (lies i haven't even touched it) some alternative redstone designs with the same functionality specifically for the under water stations.
Oh and those ladders going up the middle as means to access the stations, those will not remain. I recommend a skylight, but it's your design so do what you wish.
Also i have built a few stations, or at least a few partial bottom stations, specifically water stations, (NW, ESE, W) and have no intention of building the top parts, feel free to redesign these if you would like to. This is part of the "no player connections till done" requirement for the rail network, i believe this may also apply to the portals.
Here is the current list of who has decided to work on and build the decor of the stations. Please post below and i will update the list as people jump on board.
Red - Not started, Yellow - In progress, Green - Completed
N - Top WordlyWalker, Bottom WordlyWalker
S - Top Elanderine, Bottom Elanderine
W - Top Rosleen, Bottom Rayvolution
E - Top Rosleen, Bottom Rosleen
FN - Top Rosleen, Bottom Rosleen
FS - Top Johssen1984, Bottom Johssen1984
FW - Top Captain_Marko, Johssen1984 and Rosleen, Bottom Captain_Marko, Johssen1984 and Rosleen
FE - Top Oribloke, Bottom Oribloke
NW - Top ?, Bottom ?
NE - Top Psarge, Bottom Psarge
SW - Top Rosleen, Bottom Rosleen
SE - Top LadyEh , Bottom LadyEh
FNW - Top Ecclamw, Bottom Ecclamw
FNE - Top Axmandan, Bottom Axmandan
FSW - Top Nekcalb, Bottom Nekcalb
FSE - Top Trippwire, Bottom Trippwire
NNW - Top Nekcalb, Bottom Nekcalb
NNE - Top Merlinver, Bottom Merlinver
SSW - Top wolfkstaag, Bottom wolfkstaag
SSE - Top Merlinver, Bottom Merlinver
WNW - Top Snugglequine, Bottom Snugglequine
WSW - Top Rosleen, Bottom Rosleen
ENE - Top LadyEh, Bottom LadyEh
ESE - Top iliplayz, Bottom iliplayz
One final note: I added enderchests to all the stations, please add these to the bottom station design, if you would like an enderchest in the top part of the station you will have to provide these yourself. Also i started chests for the redstonery and at the current time they only contain the cacti, but in time i will be adding the exact redstone components needed to complete the functionality of the stations to these chests, please do not take or borrow the items within or throw anything into the chests.