InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

This thread is similar to the "last meal" thread. Only I want you to post your favorite recipe. It could give me some ideas and teach me how to cook more things. The ironic part of it is that I usually don't go by a recipe. I usually look at it and say. I'm missing this and this.....but then I throw something together with what I've got and it always comes out fine.

I'll start this thread off with a recipe for fun. I actually made this following the video last year and it came out great. And I'm not a vegan but I do love thai food. I just replaced the tofu with chicken.

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#2 Snateraar

Snateraar
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 155 posts
  • LocationAnywhere near a comfy seat and a coffee machine
  • Nationality:Dutch

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Oh dear, I need to learn to cook at some point.. I can't even bake an egg properly(and usually end up with scrambled eggs because of that).

I'm able to prepare non-cooked food, though, and in particular sandwiches.

If I make dinner-worthy sandwiches it usually involves vegetables like tomatoes and lettuce on bread covered with mayonnaise...

Simple yet delicious.

#3 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I can't even bake an egg properly.

I'm able to prepare non-cooked food, though, and in particular sandwiches.

That was cute! :D I've never tried to 'bake' on egg. I wonder how that would come out. I do eat sandwiches also. I prefer to doctor them up with some spinach, peppers, and olive oil and red wine vinegar.

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#4 xDragonGamingx

xDragonGamingx
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 137 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hmm, I have a great recipe for mac 'n' cheese:

Ingredients-

Box of macaroni and cheese

Butter 

Milk

How to make-

Follow the instructions on the back of the box

That's about the extent of my cooking knowledge and skills... it does taste fairly good though, depending on what kind you pick out

#5 axmandan

axmandan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 522 posts
  • Nationality:American

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

My favourite thing to make for any meal are baguettes. They're great to eat plain or dip in soups, or if you want you can dip it in mead or cider and pretend you're a Viking. Anyways, I love them for their hard crust exterior and their soft, airy, sour innards.

I don't keep true to any recipe, but this is How I usually go about making them.

1. About six cups of flour. (I don't have a scale or a sifter; I just loosen it up by stirring it with a fork before you scoop it.)

2. Two spoonfuls of yeast. (about 2 saches of it if you don't buy it in a jar.)

3. Two cups of warm water. (Not hot, warm. Also if your water is super chlorinated let it sit for a bit beforehand.)

4. 3 spoonfuls of sugar.

5. 2ish teaspoons of salt.

6. A bit of salty water.

7. Some oil. (I use olive oil cause I'm classy.)

Get a great big mixing bowl and stick your yeast and water in there. If you're feeling patient give it a few minutes to froth a bit before you add the salt and sugar.

Next add the salt and sugar. Mix it up a bit then add a little bit of the four and stir it till it gets clumpy. You want to add enough flour for it to lick up all the wet so you can work it with your hands on the counter.

Dump the rest of your flour on the counter and begin to work it all into one mass of dough. Be careful not to drop the glob too heavily on the pile of flour or your kitchen will turn white. Work this dough till all the flour is in. ALL OF IT!!!1!1!!!eins!! About 5ish cups in it will get super crumbly and you'll think you've got too much flour. You don't! Keep at it it will take what feels like ages the first time, but just keep working at it.

Now grease up the bowl you mixed your yeast in with that oil, then plop that glob of dough in and cover it with a clean towel. Wait an hour or so (Till it's about twice the volume as it was.) You'll notice your previously crumbly ugly dough is now a velvety wondrous ball of joy.

Turn your bowl upside-down and resist the temptation to punch it like you would normal bread. This is a baguette you don't want it to be thick and heavy you want it Fluffay. Let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes then chop it into three equalish sized bits.

Oh, and you probably ought to start to preheat your oven. Stick a brownie pan full of water on the bottom rack to get your oven nice and steamy. I recommend around 375 Fahrenheit or 190 Celsius. (I think; You probably ought to double check on that.)

Now roll these as long as you can get away with given your mundane standard home oven size. Try and make it pretty if you like by having any seams from the rolling and pinching at the underside. Then give it those diagonal slits using your sharpest knife. If you're one of those scissor using heretics be sure to tuck in the ugly spiky things they create or it will look Horrible.

Now dip your hands in that saltwater you mixed and give it a good coating. Don't be afraid to brine it up too much, you won't. Now stick it in the oven and wait for about 15 minutes. pull 'er out and reapply the salty stuff. Then stick it back in the oven, but turn the pan so you get a good even cook.

You'll know they're done when they are a lovely goldy brown colour and the tips on any protrudings from the cuts are looking much darker and crisper. They won't be even; They'll look very handmade, but you can say they're rustic. Now don't go eating them warm nor even when they have just cooled. Let them sit out all night and develop a nice thick crust.

After all that you have three lovely baguettes. Om nom nom.

There are ten thousand ways to make baguettes and ten thousand moar ways to eat them, but that's how I go about it.

"Ax is quiet like a fox but he will ATTACK if needed." -Stacy

#6 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

My favourite Food is a Nice Bloody Steak.

Just chuck it in the pan for a few minutes and enjoy.

Perfect food. 

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#7 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

@axmandan

It's nice to meet you in the public forum! Thank you for that delicious recipe. I love baguettes! Never made them myself though. I like to eat them by breaking off chunks and putting sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. I'm going to follow your recipe. Been feeling under the weather and so the only thing I'm having for dinner tonight is a tea that I make for getting over a cold. It is easy to make with just five organic ingredients that have many health benefits. I just made a tutorial for this drink actually. Something I've been meaning to do for a while. Drink when you feel sick:

#8 Serlin3

Serlin3
  • Pip
  • Log

• 156 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

Sadly, cooking / baking is an art form I never mastered.  Making meals is a struggle at the best of times, I suppose that's why my favourite dinners are simple fare - meat/mashed potatoes/veggies or spaghetti.

#9 axmandan

axmandan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 522 posts
  • Nationality:American

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'll have to try your tea at some point. I usually just stick to this great big jar of tea I've had for a while. Feel free to let us know how my baguette recipe goes.

"Ax is quiet like a fox but he will ATTACK if needed." -Stacy

#10 Snateraar

Snateraar
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 155 posts
  • LocationAnywhere near a comfy seat and a coffee machine
  • Nationality:Dutch

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I managed to bake an egg this morning. Feels like a massive achievement.

#11 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'm making a conscious 'effort' to cook more and change my diet from throwing a pizza in the oven every night to eating a diet that supports brain health......and become healthy. I'm tired of feeling like a dead battery and having sleep apnia. This doesn't mean going all out with the meal cooking. Often it means cutting up an apple or celery and eating it with peanut butter or putting blueberries and apple chunks or nuts in cereal. Nothing difficult or complicated. Little changes....add up to big changes. This is how you eat an elephant...one bite at a time.

#12 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

@axmandan

It's nice to meet you in the public forum! Thank you for that delicious recipe. I love baguettes! Never made them myself though. I like to eat them by breaking off chunks and putting sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. I'm going to follow your recipe. Been feeling under the weather and so the only thing I'm having for dinner tonight is a tea that I make for getting over a cold. It is easy to make with just five organic ingredients that have many health benefits. I just made a tutorial for this drink actually. Something I've been meaning to do for a while. Drink when you feel sick:

Hehe, I wondered why you were dressed as a Jedi, then you said you'd been feeling under the weather and it all made sense. Jedi's don't get ill. Dress and a Jedi and you won't be ill! :D

Recipes, huh? All my good recipes are currently in our other flat or packed into a box. I will have to drag some out when we move.

#13 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

@ Macflea, I will note that I feel great. That drink washed out all the cold symptoms in a matter of a couple hours. Went to bed. Next morning....back to normal. Two cups of the drink was just the right amount. It does clean out the system if you know what I mean. But that is a good thing. Yah the blanket.........I have developed my own ways in how I make videos. If I am going to make a video about something.....I usually will come up with some "weird" thing to do in the video...that is just a little off or goofy. This is like improvisation right in the moment. I don't think about it but it tends to tie in with the video somehow. I think it adds fun to an otherwise ordinary video. I deleted about 60 videos from that channel a while back. I wanted to start fresh again. I kind of regret doing that because there were some classics. I once did a video of myself dressed up like Gene Simmons from Kiss but speaking in the voice of Julia Child cooking dinner. :D

#14 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

My favourite thing to make for any meal are baguettes. They're great to eat plain or dip in soups, or if you want you can dip it in mead or cider and pretend you're a Viking. Anyways, I love them for their hard crust exterior and their soft, airy, sour innards.

I don't keep true to any recipe, but this is How I usually go about making them.

1. About six cups of flour. (I don't have a scale or a sifter; I just loosen it up by stirring it with a fork before you scoop it.)

2. Two spoonfuls of yeast. (about 2 saches of it if you don't buy it in a jar.)

3. Two cups of warm water. (Not hot, warm. Also if your water is super chlorinated let it sit for a bit beforehand.)

4. 3 spoonfuls of sugar.

5. 2ish teaspoons of salt.

6. A bit of salty water.

7. Some oil. (I use olive oil cause I'm classy.)

Get a great big mixing bowl and stick your yeast and water in there. If you're feeling patient give it a few minutes to froth a bit before you add the salt and sugar.

Next add the salt and sugar. Mix it up a bit then add a little bit of the four and stir it till it gets clumpy. You want to add enough flour for it to lick up all the wet so you can work it with your hands on the counter.

Dump the rest of your flour on the counter and begin to work it all into one mass of dough. Be careful not to drop the glob too heavily on the pile of flour or your kitchen will turn white. Work this dough till all the flour is in. ALL OF IT!!!1!1!!!eins!! About 5ish cups in it will get super crumbly and you'll think you've got too much flour. You don't! Keep at it it will take what feels like ages the first time, but just keep working at it.

Now grease up the bowl you mixed your yeast in with that oil, then plop that glob of dough in and cover it with a clean towel. Wait an hour or so (Till it's about twice the volume as it was.) You'll notice your previously crumbly ugly dough is now a velvety wondrous ball of joy.

Turn your bowl upside-down and resist the temptation to punch it like you would normal bread. This is a baguette you don't want it to be thick and heavy you want it Fluffay. Let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes then chop it into three equalish sized bits.

Oh, and you probably ought to start to preheat your oven. Stick a brownie pan full of water on the bottom rack to get your oven nice and steamy. I recommend around 375 Fahrenheit or 190 Celsius. (I think; You probably ought to double check on that.)

Now roll these as long as you can get away with given your mundane standard home oven size. Try and make it pretty if you like by having any seams from the rolling and pinching at the underside. Then give it those diagonal slits using your sharpest knife. If you're one of those scissor using heretics be sure to tuck in the ugly spiky things they create or it will look Horrible.

Now dip your hands in that saltwater you mixed and give it a good coating. Don't be afraid to brine it up too much, you won't. Now stick it in the oven and wait for about 15 minutes. pull 'er out and reapply the salty stuff. Then stick it back in the oven, but turn the pan so you get a good even cook.

You'll know they're done when they are a lovely goldy brown colour and the tips on any protrudings from the cuts are looking much darker and crisper. They won't be even; They'll look very handmade, but you can say they're rustic. Now don't go eating them warm nor even when they have just cooled. Let them sit out all night and develop a nice thick crust.

After all that you have three lovely baguettes. Om nom nom.

There are ten thousand ways to make baguettes and ten thousand moar ways to eat them, but that's how I go about it.

Ok right now is the time I am going to give this baguette recipe a shot. I have a feeling my kitchen is going to get messy.

#15 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

So far so good. I think the doe turned ok. I only rose half it's size. I wonder if I worked it too much? I am at the step where it is resting on the counter for 15 min after it sat in the bowl an hour. It looks like a brain that doesn't have as many wrinkles.

#16 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

@axmandan

Baguette bread turned out beautifully. Thanks for the recipe! :)

#17 nopartyhorse

nopartyhorse
  • PipPip
  • Applicant
  • Plank

• 282 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:45 AM

This thread is similar to the "last meal" thread. Only I want you to post your favorite recipe. It could give me some ideas and teach me how to cook more things. The ironic part of it is that I usually don't go by a recipe. I usually look at it and say. I'm missing this and this.....but then I throw something together with what I've got and it always comes out fine.

I'll start this thread off with a recipe for fun. I actually made this following the video last year and it came out great. And I'm not a vegan but I do love thai food. I just replaced the tofu with chicken.

Never seen so much action in cooking pad thai before.. That sure was an experience, though i had to take breaks and turn the volume down.

#18 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for the excellent baguette lesson!
Really want to try it.
The steam bath and salty water treatment sounds like the secret to making delicious crusts.
Very cool.

#19 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:40 AM

Never seen so much action in cooking pad thai before.. That sure was an experience, though i had to take breaks and turn the volume down.

ha ha it's fun hey! I remember when I made this from the video. The first time it came out great. The second time it turned out as a pot of mush.

#20 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm making baguettes!
Dough is rising.
More to come.