That video is all sorts of awesome Crow. So much work :)  Thumbs up

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#42 Zellcos

Zellcos
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 228 posts
  • LocationThe desert. Hence why I build by a jungle biome.
  • Nationality:Americano

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

Will take SW station.

#43 Red_Letters

Red_Letters
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

Yes its an MC world save, there are several answers to this question in the thread already.  8)

I know.  I tried putting it in the saves folder and everything, didn't work.  I didn't know you had to extract it.  I've never used a .rar file before.

#44 Serlin3

Serlin3
  • Pip
  • Log

• 156 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Thanks all for the insightful answers!

#45 RazendeR

RazendeR
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 141 posts
  • LocationUtrecht, Netherlands
  • Nationality:Dutch

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

Crow ive been assuming we wire Black lines (as in, no main lines, local only) the same as a normal line?

If thats true, ill use that end of my station to build a service entrance :)

Posted Image

#46 RazendeR

RazendeR
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 141 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

Is there a completed quarter yet, where i can preview how the local line tunnels need to be decorated? (i found out that the stairs-for-walls design looks weird.)

Posted Image

#47 HybridGenetiX

HybridGenetiX
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 185 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida
  • Nationality:American

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:11 AM

Is there a completed quarter yet, where i can preview how the local line tunnels need to be decorated? (i found out that the stairs-for-walls design looks weird.)

I finished a quarter in the South station if you want to check it out. I used the stairs...think it came out good.

#48 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Those local lines will have redstone so that 4 local lines can connect.
I like coffee!

#49 DrCrowtron

DrCrowtron
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have made a couple edit updates to the original post.  Since this a learning experience as we apply to the actual stations, please look back from time to time. (b^_^)b

#50 ecclamw

ecclamw
  • Pip
  • Seasoned
  • Log

• 115 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

I checked out the design and then my brain went * snap, crackle and pop* so I am tending colored sheep.  I've started on orange and black.  I'm really a beginner at redstone and at that it tends to be confusing for me.  We all have our things that we are good at. Providing material support is one of the things that I will be able to do with gusto.

Posted Image

#51 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

I checked out the design and then my brain went * snap, crackle and pop* so I am tending colored sheep.  I've started on orange and black.  I'm really a beginner at redstone and at that it tends to be confusing for me.  We all have our things that we are good at. Providing material support is one of the things that I will be able to do with gusto.

That would be a very valuable contribution.  I just started gathering supplies and I noticed there was pratically no wool at all at Ft Knox

#52 Katiebartl

Katiebartl
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 104 posts
  • LocationPinole, California

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

I have a concern about rail use. Will it be possible to use a minecart+chest train on the rail system? As it is currently set up, minecarts will pop on the cactus and spill everywhere. Some of the things inside then disappear into the machinery. I was able to go down under the north station to retrieve my items, but the far north station appears to be all sealed up. With hoppers underneath the end of the line, minecarts automatically start leaking items down into the redstonery. I was luckily just carting some stone, but I know for certain that some of it is now missing. Would it be possible to do a trapdoor or something in completed stations so if this happens people can retrieve their items? I didn't mess with anything other than checking the chests to get my stuff back, so I don't think people would break the stations by doing so. My home is very far away from the hub, so getting everything back was a source of frustration for me this evening. Maybe also we could let people know not to use minecarts with chests on the rail lines or not to put anything important in them?

I also wanted to say thanks to all the builders for their hard work on the stations. I am basically redstone illiterate, so big works like this are definitely impressive to me.

#53 RazendeR

RazendeR
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 141 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:59 AM

^This concern has been adressed. Sadly, its been with "Just dont use chestcarts".

Well have to inform people not to use chestcarts, because the resulting flow of items will clog up the cart replacement system quite quickly otherwise, and i dont fancy sailing down the lines on a stack of cobble, myself ;)

Posted Image

#54 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:40 AM

I dont use chestcarts as I find them too unreliable, but I seem to remember they worked OK in SG5... at the stations?

If  so I guess this issue wasnt picked up by the designers in the testing. For those who use them this issue doubles the difficulty of shifting stuff around the map without an SG5 style portal system.

A daft suggestion...   just before the station, jump out and run like hell to stop the train hitting the cactus?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#55 RazendeR

RazendeR
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 141 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:26 AM

Ill personally just abuse the railways with a mule when i need mass transit. Between a mule, enderchest, and an inventory, you can get a decent haul of goods across.

Posted Image

#56 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

I tried hard to use chestcarts on SG5 and gave up in frustration.  On the straight lines we have now they might work better, but I am wondering ithe powered rails are close enough to reliably move chest carts along.

#57 RazendeR

RazendeR
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 141 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

GT, they do work. I used the same spacing one wilderness ago, and could reliably move 2 or 3 chestcarts along in front of my own ride. However, redstone-enabled stations will still steal your stuff. And then break :P

Posted Image

#58 DrCrowtron

DrCrowtron
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Would it be possible to do a trapdoor or something in completed stations so if this happens people can retrieve their items?

All of the stations should have a clear access to the redstone, and none of it should be impossible to get to.  I am getting close to completing the FSW station and plan on doing a walkthrough to point out a few things to keep in mind for the redstone.

It is my impression that the cart system was designed with getting members around as the priority.  Many have wanted a system that is cart friendly.  What I can offer is attempting to set up a mechanism that will permit tracks to function for members just wanting to travel, and those wanting to move items.

#59 RazendeR

RazendeR
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 141 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Crow, that might be extremely difficult without completely rebuilding the  central redstone... bear in mind, you have to send carts ahead of yourself, or they lag behind and unload.

Posted Image

#60 Katiebartl

Katiebartl
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 104 posts
  • LocationPinole, California

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Would it be possible to do a trapdoor or something in completed stations so if this happens people can retrieve their items?

All of the stations should have a clear access to the redstone, and none of it should be impossible to get to.  I am getting close to completing the FSW station and plan on doing a walkthrough to point out a few things to keep in mind for the redstone.

It is my impression that the cart system was designed with getting members around as the priority.  Many have wanted a system that is cart friendly.  What I can offer is attempting to set up a mechanism that will permit tracks to function for members just wanting to travel, and those wanting to move items.

Thanks. On the Far North station I couldn't find a way into the redstone area, but I may have overlooked it. Someone may want to check to make sure there's nothing jamming up the mechanisms there now.

I don't think an overhaul or redesign for chest carts is necessary. I just wish I'd known ahead of time so I wouldn't have had to go to the extra trouble while I moved stuff. I did discover a workaround on stations without cactus, which was to put an empty chest cart in front of the full ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users