Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

If I remember correctly we were originally talking about building roads alongside the rail lines. I was wondering if this is still a plan? I know everyone is exhausted from the rail project and roads are not as big a priority so I'm not asking people to start building them, but I am thinking of building a road along the line near my place to see how it works out.

Would this be allowed? I would follow the original plan for the roads as voted for by us all. If it works ok I can plug away and do it bit by bit.

I wasn't planning on mob proofing it and it would just have minor lighting.. what are your thoughts and would it be ok to start laying the land?

Thank you!!

#2 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

I always assumed it was for people to build near their areas, to make it look pretty. I have started a stub of mine... It's taking a bit longer then I thought xD
There used to be something here..

#3 Macflea

Macflea
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

The original plan was to build them alongside the railways, I might have remembered that wrong, but I'd like to do that for the rail near my patch any way since I prefer travelling by horse :)

I just want to get the score straight, and get permission!

#4 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

The original plan was to build them alongside the railways, I might have remembered that wrong, but I'd like to do that for the rail near my patch any way since I prefer travelling by horse :)

Oh, by the railways? I thought that it was going at angles in-between the stations... 

But yeah, I'd like to know also :D

There used to be something here..

#5 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

I think we've put the official roads on hold :-) I'd say go ahead and build one if you want to ^^
Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#6 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

"Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads!"

#7 Nekcalb

Nekcalb
  • Inactive
  • Retired Evildoer

• 1,138 posts
  • LocationCorn Field
  • Nationality:'merican

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Initially the roads did not have to be parallel to the rails, they were intended to meander along the terrain between the stations. Just because the rails are straight and narrow don't assume the roads have to follow the exact same path.

Refusing to allow people to be paid less than a living wage preserves to us our own market. There is absolutely no use in producing anything if you gradually reduce the number of people able to buy even the cheapest products. The only way to preserve our markets is to pay an adequate wage. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

For the W and FW route Mac, if you use that one, maybe it would be easier to change the track lighting system - those central poles are a real hazard for horse riding. Then its a straight through gallop! Take the wooden bridge through to my place, make a trail though the snowy wastes and it's there  ;)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#9 Macflea

Macflea
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Thanks, Nek. I'll go ahead and build some meanderers. Great idea, Cap. I'll do that. We need a hacking trail around.

#10 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Oh, by the railways? I thought that it was going at angles in-between the stations... 

But yeah, I'd like to know also :D

The original map designs for the railways and portals had primary roads running in both cardinal and intercardinal directions out from the city, with the overall diagonals there to cut the corners between the center of the map and outer corner portals.

But I believe that was a simplified way to make it easier to generate the map. 

Whether the roads should actually cut the diagonal or line up better between other 'points of interest' will be up to the builders and landowners in those areas.

Posted Image

#11 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

My plan is to work on roads as an alternative to the redstone stations as redstone is really not my thing. I'm digging out station FS at the moment. When I'm done with that, my plan is to contribute by building roads. Where is the plan for the roads? Is it the same as the roads in the city?

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#12 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

My plan is to work on roads as an alternative to the redstone stations as redstone is really not my thing. I'm digging out station FS at the moment. When I'm done with that, my plan is to contribute by building roads. Where is the plan for the roads? Is it the same as the roads in the city?

I don't believe there is an official plan for roads (besides their materials, which we had a poll for afaik ) so i wouldn't bother with them, unless you wan to build a road connection for your own use and purpose. If you want to contribute some more to the general development ( and don't want to do redstone) I'd suggest you help digging out another station ...

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#13 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:05 AM

What Ili said ^^

#14 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

Yes that is what I will do..resume the roll of digger. We do need to complete these stations ASAP.

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#15 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

AND it's a great source of stone for your own build ;)

#16 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Really? Ok! :) I was saving it for FK. But I could really use it. Cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users