Photo

What does the community think about Geocaching in Minecraft?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hey guys,

I posted about this once before in the public forums but I just wanted to get some opinions and thoughts about incorporating this into SG. This is a project I'd like to work on in the future. I'm in no rush as I'm still establishing myself on the map.

For those of you who don't know what geocaching is in real life, it's like a scavenger hunt for a hidden box. All you have to go by to find it are a set of coords and some clues. Usually it isn't at the exact coords you're given. Here's the official site: http://www.geocaching.com/

As I've explained before, I have done this on the one other server I played on. But with the periodic map resets it made it impractical for me to develop very much of the project. I also posted a rough draft of the manual I wrote here: http://sixtygig.com/...g-in-minecraft/

There was one concern I had and it's the only bump in the road I can see and that is the fact that hiding caches around the map and what that means in relation to land owned by other players..permissions....Because each cache you hide yourself is like your own 'micro property'. It is up to the hider to maintain it and make sure it is in working order make sure the cache site is undisturbed ..etc.

Also, it would help if caches were marked with the same and unique as possible icon on the map.

Aside from that, who likes this idea? And any feedback about the issue of permissions from land owners etc. ? :)

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#2 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

I really like the idea. I enjoy a bit of geocaching in RL, and I think it'd be great in minecraft! :D I don't think permission would be a problem, I'm sure that most people would be happy to have a geocache on their builds, as long as it doesn't mess with the build. It'd attract more chunk loaders people as a side effect. :P

As for my build, I might include one, and since it's a skyscraper, they'd have to look at all of the rooms :P (as long as I just gave X and Z)

There used to be something here..

#3 Snateraar

Snateraar
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 155 posts
  • LocationAnywhere near a comfy seat and a coffee machine
  • Nationality:Dutch

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

Haha. I love to do these things.

Placed a chest a few blocks below the surface and put a sign on top saying "dig down in this area, you'll find goodies".

Put my name on the sign, and sometimes I'd get a random "Thanks Snate!" in the chat :P

#4 Aeonforce11

Aeonforce11
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 20 posts
  • Nationality:Czechoslovakian

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Even though I was redirected here via InvisibleFlame's other post...I still like the idea.  EVEN THOUGH I HAD TO GO ALL THE WAY OUT OF MY WAY TO CLICK A SINGLE LINK AND LEAVE A COMMENT HERE, I GUESS I STILL WANNA MINECACHE...jeez....LOL.  But seriously, if I can help get this going in any way, let me know.  I would be more than happy to be in the trial run for placing a minecache and filling out all the necessary info on the forums and whatnot.  I think things like this bring people in a world together.  Building things, mining together, playing games together.  That's what gives a community the feel that it needs. So, I'm all in.

#5 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

Hi Aeon,

Forgive me if there was some confusion about this thread. It wasn't clear at first where we were going to post minecaches for people to go find, and also post comments. I think we've got that sorted now. I've created an online "google spreadsheet" for listing the caches. Minecache forms are subbmitted to me via email or private message and I add them to that form. If anyone intends to place several caches (having completed at least one cache), I'll give them permission to edit that document so they don't have to go through me every time they want to post a minecache.

I know I said at first not to comment on the other thread. Now that we have a dedicated page for listing minecaches, the thread "Minecaching on SG6" is now the main thread for discussion about this. The first post contains all the instructions for playing this game. It contains the simple 'rules' of play. All links are included as well. Only the quick-start guide needs to be read in order to play the game. The rest of the post details how to 'hide' a cache here on SG. http://sixtygig.com/...g-on-sixygig-6/

I should probably delete this thread if I can. I'll go back and double check that I'm not directing anyone here.

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users