InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:03 AM

Now is a good time to start a thread of my various works as there's now some **** to show you. Before I show you what MC builds are have pictures of, I thought to show you progress on an epic custom MC map I've been working on.

This map is called "Cthulhu Mythos" and it's been one of my pet projects. I've already got over 100 hours in on this thing and have been working on it off and on over the last four months. Last you saw of it was in my application and it looked like this:

Spoiler

But that was so big that my computer doesn't have enough ram to export it from worldpainter. So, I removed the large continent on the upper left (that will be it's own other map) to save ram so I can export.

At the moment, I've finished painting the map. This is painting the dirt into grass.....adding sand where appropriate. Adding rock and snow textures...etc.

It is really coming along and there's not much left. Only thing left is to add the custom trees and biomes. This map will features a large variety of custom trees that most have never seen in MC. Really sexy looking trees! My goal also is to attempt to include biomes from the 'biomes o plenty' mod in this map. Because those biomes are so fricken cool!

So here are some images of the map as seen in the worldpainter program interface screen in '3D' view:

Spoiler

My goal with this map is to create the best looking MC evironment within the limits of MC or rather the most ideal version of MC that I could want. I think of it as an "adventurers paradise". I don't expect it to be long before it's done now. And it will be downloadable after completion. I'll keep you posted.

As for my in game builds, I'll include photos of those soon in this thread. :)

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#2 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

I just did a fly-around on the map to see how my work came out so far. I'm very pleased with the results even without the trees added yet. Here are so screen shots:

Spoiler

Now this next picture is very much inspired by an actual place in China famous for it's dramatic columns of rock shooting into the sky....I'll try and include a reference photo for comparison.

Spoiler

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#3 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Ooh! Pretty! :D The only part I don't like all that much is the giant sand mountain... Seems a bit plain to me.
There used to be something here..

#4 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Ooh! Pretty! :D The only part I don't like all that much is the giant sand mountain... Seems a bit plain to me.

That's no mountain BD.  What you saw is a photo of some of the large sand dunes in the desert. It is large indeed. That is the only way to make the legos form any kind of dune. Dunes get massive though and it's all in the rails of possibility.

#5 LadySnoogicorn

LadySnoogicorn
  • PipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Workbench

• 339 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

That's quite beautiful Flame. :) I'd love to download the map and play around with it when you're done!

#6 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Dragon, I looked at the photos again and realized you may have meant the rocky bit in the desert. For that, i'm trying to go for something like this: http://www.worldbiom...umentvalley.jpg

Thanks for your feedback! I'll probably roughen it up some more and perhaps add a side column that has been formed in the erosion. Also I'll probably add some cactus around the base of  that portion of desert. Not all the desert is going to get cactus. At least the large dune parts don't. Unfortunately I couldn't make this desert large enough due to size limits of the map. But the good thing is that the default MC world will generate infinitely beyond the custom map part. So there is no lack of access to parts of the game.

#7 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, that one was the one I was talking about :D I like the tower part, but not so much the surrounding area. Bit plain, compared to it ;)
There used to be something here..

#8 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thanks guys!

There is some tweaking to do actually still I see. Mostly in the North arctic continent that I haven't shown. It's got a really cool glacier with packed ice breaking up and falling into the sea. But the mountains need roughing up. They are too smooth. I thought of playing around with some things also in that region and playing around with some fantasy ideas. One was to have a tall sheet of ice....that has a network of crackes in it. But...........in these large cracks are ledges at varying levels that form pathways that the player can walk on. So if you were to explore, you could walk on these ledges in the the cracks and they would go on and on long distances throughout the complicated network of cracks. I could have cave systems that poke through these crack walls so the explorer could enter the caves and this would all be beautiful, mysterious and an adventure. At this stage I'm going to spend some time tweaking with the Arctic mass in the north. Initually I kind of rushed through that part and it suffers as such. So needs some work.

#9 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:28 AM

The Arctic part of the map has been totally reworked with the detail and quality as the rest of the map. If you venture here you will find an inhospitable place with only snow snow snow....glaciers .....packed ice and more snow.  But the Arctic is not short of it's own secrets and mysteries. For example one of the massive glaciers has a very large network of cracks opening up. Revealing something special for the adventurous kind:

Spoiler

These cracks have pathway ledges all along the rim and are kind of like an icy labyrinth which will later reveal hidden cave systems containing goodies and cool stuff. Some of the caves will be very icy.

#10 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:15 AM

Finished adding the first of the trees and biomes. The Arctic is complete for the most part. Just needs some minor tweaks. Namely in certain places some of the custom trees are very tall and large and dwarf the mountains beside them. They are gorgeous but need to keep those ones far enough away that a side by side comparison will never render to the eye of the player.

It took me days to carefully select the trees for the whole map. To give the various areas their own distinct feeling and mood. There's so many varieties. I've grouped the trees into 30 sub categories. Each is a brush that contains 3 to 5 different kinds of trees.

I thought I'd upload a "preview sample" of the completed Arctic portion of the map only for my Sixty Gig comrades to fly around and look at a winter wonderland if that is what you like. Like I said, this portion is mostly complete save for some minor tweaks and corrections. Also I did not "populate" it. There may or may not be underground resources on this particular world save. I don't think animals will spawn either. Maybe maybe not. I have seen plenty of hostile mobs spawn. It uses one biome from the "Biomes o Plenty mod (Arctic) biome on a the glacier parts. I don't know how this will work if you don't have the mod installed. If it loads and you don't have the mod, the appearance of the terrain in those places won't change. All that biome does is sais that no living thing spawns there.

If you want to play in the snow and look at some nice trees, here is the link to the zip file: http://www.mediafire...s_Trees_BOP.zip

And here are some pretty snow pictures from the Arctic Wastes of the "Cthulhu Mythos":

Spoiler

#11 Snateraar

Snateraar
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 155 posts
  • LocationAnywhere near a comfy seat and a coffee machine
  • Nationality:Dutch

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

10/10 would live in :D

#12 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

Almost done. This going to be an adventure lover's paradise literally.

Before I started this map, I made a plan of certain things I wanted and one of those was that I wanted the map to have 'mystery' and certain places that are secret and hard to get to. Creating the feeling of mysteriousness in a minecraft map is not easy. As I put the very last finishing touches on this map which is the cave systems, I see the "mystery" unfolding that I wanted to achieve with this.

For example the map has several large high mountain ranges. And within these mountains are epic cave systems containing beauty...resources....and even abandond mines generated by the game. There are cave entrances that come out of the cliffs in hidden locations around certain areas of the mountains. These caves are very rugged and dangerious as they go up and down steeply in places, are rough, and teeming with mobs. But they have valuable resouces. The cave networks all lead to really massive central caves that have underground lakes and shimmer with sparce glowstone on the ceiling to give just enough light to see the beauty of it all. Think of the cave where Bilbo met Golem in "The Hobbit"! :D

Here are some screen shots for example of these mysterious caves:

Spoiler

The cave systems have been far more time consuming than I thought they would be. Getting the systems and cave opening to all connect and in a way that there aren't caves rupturing out the sides of cliffs and destroying my mountains....has been a process of constantly tweaking, testing and exporting into the game ....and then going back and tweaking correcting over and over till it's right.

There was one hang up as far as being short on RAM when exporting the map. It looks like I am again going to have to trim off some parts of the map to have enough RAM to export the whole map. This is going to be a tough call as far as what parts to cut out. It's going to be like a decision of which of my arms or legs do I want to cut off?

#13 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

99% done  with map. Just some minor fixes "in-game" after I export from worldpainter. Here's a video fly-by of one part of the map. The mysterious arctic ice caves:

#14 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Holly crap! I'm finally done with my epic custom map and it's now available for download here: http://www.planetmin...s-custom-world/

*there are special "set-up" instructions for this map that are required for it. All that is needed to know is provided on the download page.

I'll soon upload a video tour/set-up tutorial to my youtube. Not tonight though. I'm pooped after all the finishing up and final preparations to publish it for download. That map was a solid effort! :)

#15 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

If anyone downloaded my map and played it yet, I want to let you know that I have just discovered a problem with that save that I missed before I uploaded that file. Vary Sorry about this! Some the the terrain regions are not populating Some are and some aren't. For example around the area where you spawn, the biomes are not populating with animals and the trees that go with that biome ..etc. This doesn't apply to the custom trees however. So I need to go back in world painter and go over the terrain with the "Populate" tool again and create a new world save for download. I must have missed it because I was avoiding loading very many chunks in game before I created the save. But I will have to do a thorough fly around. I guess that gives me a nudging to complete the video tour/set up tutorial. When I confirm all is perfect, I'll provide a new world save download for this map on planet minecraft. It will be announced in the update log there at that time. :)

#16 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:52 AM

Some initial problems have been identified after publishing my map for download and now I have corrected everything as far as I can see. I have double and tripple checked the map world save and uploaded a new second version of the world save for download. Also there was one problem in the instructions that would have caused the first group of people downloading for it not to load the game. Unless they had worked around the problems themselves. I fixed all of it. And now I have uploaded a video "set-up" tutorial to show how to set up and download and show that it works. Tutorial with links is here:

Very sorry if anyone here has already downloaded and had problems getting it to work. All should be in order now for playing this map! :)

The key thing about the special "set-up" is some extra but simple steps needed to make it work with the biomes o plenty mod. And having it for MC 1.6.4 is so it works for most mods. A modded Minecraft! :) So that completes what is needed for anyone to play my map. I hope I have time to play it for myself now. :)

#17 Koplee

Koplee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:57 AM

Wow...

Wow...

Just, WOW!!!

That is a superb bit of work you've done there. It's exactly the sort of MC world I'd like to explore: the cave systems, the amazing coastline, the glacier... it's all so well done.

THREE thumbs-up for you (and sparkly ones at that!)

8RYTJS8.gif     8RYTJS8.gif     8RYTJS8.gif

I love to be touched by his noodly appendages Posted Image

#18 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Oh thanks Kop! On the download page is a full description of what this map has to offer.

I wanted a world that I love to play in and one for all my mods. I just finally got time to sit down and play this map. Have all my favorite mods installed ....about 30.....(including Small Boats, mo creatures, millenair, project zulu, camping mod, plunder and rummage, better snow, ...) and OMG it makes the experience of this map incredible. I also find that it's a very unique and different experince of MC and multiplayer. It definitely doesn't take away my interest in playing multiplayer here. I have my modded single player and my vanilla SMP now. I love them both but they are two very different epxeriences of MC. :)

#19 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 02 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Seems like it's been a while since I updated this thread. Here's some of my more recent builds completed and works in progress:

First, the WNW station I completed a couple months back needs a place here:

Spoiler

Also sometimes I play in single player survival my custom map "Cthulhu Mythos", discussed earlier in this thread. It's my world where I have all my mods and realistic custom terrain. So here are some 'works in progress' from this map:

In a region that represents the Swiss countryside I'm building a medieval port town (in progress) and farming settlement. This town will house NPC villagers that I can trade with:

Spoiler

Not far from the port town is my medieval mansion in progress (actually just started).....up on a hill with a nice view. Mostly I have only begun laying out the outer retaining walls. However I want to show you the pathway in front that will lead to the front entrance and adjecent terraces.

Spoiler

I'll update this thread as these builds come along so you may fallow my progress with them. Hope you like what you see so far! :)

#20 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire
  • Nationality:British

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

The realistic stuff looks NICE! What texture pack is that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users