#1 trippwire

trippwire
  • PipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Workbench

• 341 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

So say if I decided to ditch the track pad on my Macbook and wanted a cheap mouse what are good decent ones, nothing fancy I need to break blocks, place blocks, look around. BTW I am a console gamer by nature I've heard of macros or 'other' buttons on certain mice(?) can someone explain that to me and if it is good for MC. :)

#2 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Well...I have the Logitech wireless m510 mouse, and it seems to work fine. To make the scroll wheel work I use a program called USB overdrive (for Mac) which allows me to control the scroll smoothing for the hot bar and program the two buttons on the side (I use them for sprint). It works fine for what I do, although I have to get a USB extension to let the wireless signal around the computer.

It's fairly priced, about $30 or so. It's nothing fancy, but nice for what you pay for! I've been using it about eight months, so not sure about the longevity of it.

Good luck! :)
There used to be something here..

#3 jpigg

jpigg
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 10 posts
  • LocationColorado - USA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'd actually echo the Logitech M510 for a decent not too expensive mouse. I've got one I use at home when I don't want to use my gaming mouse and I've had it for probably 3-4 years without any problems. It worked well and long enough I bought a second one to use at work that's been in use for about a year and a half now. 

My work computer is a mac and I also use the USB overdrive program for it.

#4 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Mhhhhhhhm Logitech M400

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#5 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

I just use a standard "2 buttons and a click wheel" USB mouse from Asda. Does the job fine.

#6 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

A bog standard 3 button mouse here... nothing fancy. Does the job :)

#7 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

BD, I have the 510 (and the 310) and and the scrolling works fine on my Mac without a separate program?

You can't get there from here.

#8 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

Belkin Bluetooth Comfort, if you can find one 8) Most mice work now without USB Overdrive as some have noted.

Your Q - you can get gaming mice that have lots of programmable buttons - if you want to add strafe, drop, or make dinner to single click  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#9 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

BD, I have the 510 (and the 310) and and the scrolling works fine on my Mac without a separate program?

Hmm.. My problem was that there were no defined "ticks" of the mouse wheel due to smoothing, so it was quite hard to scroll through the hot bar into the specific item. I ended up emailing logitech (completely unhelpful, by the way, they would not admit that there was a possibility of it being their software breaking it) and after a while I found a thread where someone was having the same issue and used USB overdrive to fix it.

Works now though! :D
There used to be something here..

#10 qw0x

qw0x
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 210 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
  • Nationality:Moose

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

I have a Logitech g300 mouse, and I now cry softly every time I have to use a generic mouse. I would recommend spending the money on a good mouse, because after using one you'll see that it is worth the extra money.
The macro things are extra buttons on the mouse that can be used instead of buttons on the keyboard (I use a button on my mouse to go to the first slot in Minecraft where I keep my sword because it's easy to hit in a panic. It has the same effect as hitting the 1 button) Hope this helps!
The word 'onomatopoeia' is an onomatopoeia because it's derived from the sound that is made when the word is spoken aloud.

#11 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

I'm not a big gamer so the pricer mice with all the buttons never seemed to appeal to me enough to justify the cost.  The M510 has a couple programmable buttons and I don't even use those very often in MC.  Since I spend A LOT of time on a computer my main concern for mice (and keyboards) is how it feels to me and how much it doesn't hurt after using it a while.  I honestly use the M310 (a $15 wireless mouse) most of the time.  Same thing with keyboards.  I've spent money on the fancier ones and every time went back to the cheaper ones.  

Maybe one day I'll splurge and spend a ton of money on the really really fancy ones and maybe I'll end up liking them but for now I like my tried and true cheapies :-)

#12 Pheonyxe5

Pheonyxe5
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 219 posts
  • LocationCarmel, CA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I use the M310 myself and find it works perfectly for what I need it to, but isn't too small either.  Plus it came in a color that matches my lap desk and portable keyboard...  But, I've had it for a year and a half and only needed to change the batteries twice in that time, even with using it constantly.

:red_rose_32px: "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses" :red_rose_32px:

#13 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Of course the color matching is the most important feature of the M310's :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users