qw0x
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 210 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North
  • Nationality:Moose

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

I am writing this message on my phone because I recently sold my desktop computer. I'm going to university soon and it's clear that I need a laptop, which is why I sold my desktop. Now it's time to decide on what laptop to buy and I'm not sure what to get! I've been doing some research myself, but I was hoping for some suggestions!

Here are the details that I'm thinking about:
- must have a numpad
- 1080p screen
- 15.6" screen (or smaller, but there aren't many smaller laptops with numpads)
- not touchscreen
- 8 GB RAM
- i5 or i7 processor (perhaps AMD equivalent)
- must have a dedicated graphics card, I'm thinking gtx840m or better
- doesn't need a disk drive
- a ssd would be nice but not required
Price: anything over $1400 is out of the question, but I'm hoping for something closer to $1000 or $1100.

What do you think? Any recommendations?

I look forward to hear what you think!
The word 'onomatopoeia' is an onomatopoeia because it's derived from the sound that is made when the word is spoken aloud.

#2 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire
  • Nationality:British

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

I might be wrong, but laptops don't come with dedicated graphics due to space constraints. Again, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If you want a computer for playing games on, desktop is the way forward IMO.

#3 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

Well I use a custom one of these (company property) for my professional work and I don't have a problem with it... To be completely honest I absolutely abuse it. See what you think about the specifications.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#4 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

I might be wrong, but laptops don't come with dedicated graphics due to space constraints. Again, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If you want a computer for playing games on, desktop is the way forward IMO.

Dedicated cards are indeed supported.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#5 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

http://www.reddit.co...ordable_laptop/

I saw that yesterday. Otherwise I have no advice for you.

Smile! :)

#6 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

Oh yea, I know they're supported, but they generally don't come inside the laptop. Usually as an add on after as some external affair.

#7 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:31 PM

Oh yea, I know they're supported, but they generally don't come inside the laptop. Usually as an add on after as some external affair.

Take a look at options after following my link for example.

#8 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

Let's just say I'm wrong or out of touch, lol.

#9 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

As far as laptops I'm a fan of the Dell lines.  Other than Mac's, if I'm going to get a laptop it's normally from Dell.  (I also love their monitors.)

You can't get there from here.

#10 qw0x

qw0x
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 210 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for the advice! I'm super indecisive just as a person, and as a result I have yet to choose a computer, but these ideas definitely have been helping. :)
The word 'onomatopoeia' is an onomatopoeia because it's derived from the sound that is made when the word is spoken aloud.

#11 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

As far as laptops I'm a fan of the Dell lines.  Other than Mac's, if I'm going to get a laptop it's normally from Dell.  (I also love their monitors.)

Yes their monitors are simply amazing. Nice slim bezels make them ideal for Eyefinity/3D Surround.

#12 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Plus they normally have great prices for the larger screens...been in love with their 24" monitors for a long time.

#13 Morfelin

Morfelin
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 47 posts
  • LocationFarmington, NM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

I recommend Asus, I have a laptop from them and it works great! Used to have an hp, but since I switched it has made a huge difference. The model I have Is the Asus Q501LA. I5 Processor, 6gb Ram (however it is customizable so you can get 8), 64 bit operating system, It does have a touch screen but that doesnt mean you have to touch it. Also, it has an inlet keyboard and the resolution is way higher than 1080p. 15.6 inch screen, and I have windows 8 but you can always downgrade. Don't know why so many people hate windows 8, maybe they are just old and not familiar or willing to figure out how it works. After all, their time is limited; they wouldn't want to waste it learning how to use windows 8. I don't even know what the graphics card stats are, didn't feel like looking. Also as far as the price range, I got mine for about 850 usd, but that also included the one year warranty, windows programs, and all that jazz. Hope this helped in your search, best of luck! :)

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

#14 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Morf, my hatred for Windows 8 has nothing to do with not wanting to learn a new way of doing things.  :-P  I won't mind the new interface if they also let me use the old start menu.  For me (since I spend so much damn time on computers) it's about ease of use and it seems like it takes more steps for me to get things done in Win8 than in Win7.   Anyone who uses Windows should be used to them changing everything around every version.

I've used Asus...they aren't bad.  I've just used more Dell's over the years and rather had an issue. (I've got two that I use now...one with Linux loaded and one with Win8.)  Their prices are also great, especially if you can get a student/military/other discount.

Out of curiosity what is the resolution on it if it's higher than 1080p?

:-)

#15 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

Windows 8 is shockingly bad... became unusable on my laptop, and is heading the same way on my partner's laptop...

#16 Morfelin

Morfelin
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 47 posts
  • LocationFarmington, NM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:36 AM

My resolution is 1920x1080, and windows 8 is not bad it just takes a while to figure it out. You don't even need the old start menu because everything can be found in the search on the right hand side of the screen. For me, that is a lot better. I can navigate to everything with a lot more ease. However, I can understand that some people would prefer the old start menu. 

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

#17 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

Was going to type a long retort, but meh, and it's off topic to qw0k's orginal question.

As far as what computer to buy...look at your budget and needs...look at what's on sale and go with it.  As long as you don't go with some weird off name brand that no one's ever heard of you'll most likely be fine. 

#18 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Yea, it's rare to get a dodgy computer these days in all fairness...

#19 qw0x

qw0x
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 210 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

I thought I'd give a quick update:

I still have yet to make a final decision, but I've decided that I won't be needing the level of graphics power I was thinking of before. University will be busy and I don't expect to have much time for gaming (aside from a bit of minecraft) so I think I'll save a few bucks and some battery power by going for HD4400 or 4600 integrated graphics.

I'm currently looking at a $1000 Sager NP2650 with some stats like this:

15.6" 1920x1080 display

Intel HD 4600 graphics

i7-4710mq Processor (2.5GHz)

8GB RAM

120GB mSATA SSD

1TB 7200rpm HDD

I'm not sure yet though - I'll update again with any developments!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users