ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire
  • Nationality:British

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Is it easy enough or not? I just downloaded a new RP, tried it, liked it, but it has a flaw:

pwSNWMu.png

To me, it looks like they haven't done a texture for either the regular chest or trapped chest. Is it just a simple case of editing a text file or something? What is needed?

Thanks.

#2 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

The way texture and resource packs work is that they are a series of individual PNGs. You have to have a photo editor to modify them, like Photoshop, GIMP, or *shudders* MS paint. For just changing a simple texture like this (LB photo realism?) you can copy the same exact "chest" map (no idea where it's located, haven't done this in a long time) and paste it as trapped chest (and maybe add some red).

Good luck! Just mess around with it for a bit.
There used to be something here..

#3 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

So there should be individual image files? If so, piece of the proverbial...

#4 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Chests are an odd texture, though. Different from regular blocks, as it's made using a "map" of sorts, where parts of an image correspond to parts of a chest. It's kind of complicated. Regular blocks used to be made this way as well.

You can probably just copy over the chest file and rename it to the trapped chest file. (You can find it in a different resource pack) If you want, you can open it up in an editor and add some red to the latch. :)

#5 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

I've just wasted half an hour trying to do this to no avail. There doesn't appear to be any text files anywhere saying what entity should use what textures.... I tried copying the chest texture and renaming it to trapped.png, but that didn't work.

Confused.com

#6 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I've just wasted half an hour trying to do this to no avail. There doesn't appear to be any text files anywhere saying what entity should use what textures.... I tried copying the chest texture and renaming it to trapped.png, but that didn't work.

Confused.com

I looked into the files:

Unzip the pack

Go to assets/minecraft/entities/chest

Copy normal.png to the same location and rename it trapped.png

Do the same thing with normal_double.png, except name it trapped_double.png

Hope this works! :)

#7 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Chests are an odd texture, though. Different from regular blocks, as it's made using a "map" of sorts, where parts of an image correspond to parts of a chest. It's kind of complicated. Regular blocks used to be made this way as well.

You can probably just copy over the chest file and rename it to the trapped chest file. (You can find it in a different resource pack) If you want, you can open it up in an editor and add some red to the latch. :)

What you're referring to is a texture map. Maybe this might help direct you.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#8 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

It's ok, I got it sorted :)

#9 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Just an FYI, the wikihow link is very outdated. While many of the techniques stay the same, the format used (filenames, file structure, etc.) is from version 1.5. It has been changed since then. :)

#10 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

Just an FYI, the wikihow link is very outdated. While many of the techniques stay the same, the format used (filenames, file structure, etc.) is from version 1.5. It has been changed since then. :)

"While many of the techniques stay the same..."

Which was my point, it was obvious that it was outdated.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#11 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

"While many of the techniques stay the same..."

Which was my point, it was obvious that it was outdated.

Oh, ok. I thought it would be best to point it out so that someone new to texture editing wouldn't get confused if they saw this sometime in the future. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users