BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio
  • Nationality:American

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:09 PM

Everyone takes the rail system from their bases to the city to use the end portal. When they leave, the are magically transported back to their bed back at their base via the magic of the end portal.  This is probably one of the biggest reasons people use the rail system.  Consequently, there is a metric but ton of carts being funneled into the central station.  I just moved an entire double chest of carts from the item overflow up to the chest next to the ender chest in the central station, and still left too many carts, In my opinion, in the system. I have also had to replenish carts at my home station on several occasions.

Due to the the fact that all the carts are being funneled into the city, can we either A) change the way the end portal exit works, B) have people take a cart with them when they go to the end, or C) come up with another idea?

Just an observation.  :)

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#2 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

Maybe make a chest with carts people can grab and transport to the next station when going from central :) north seems to always be missing carts too

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#3 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:55 AM

Good point, I always keep a couple of carts in enderchest and use those rather than get a new one.

I seem to remember from running a server that a surfeit of carts floating around causes considerable lag in the chunk, it would be good to have a solution though I don't want to lose the current return to base-o-mat system.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#4 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

PPTS are the solution! This is the way of the future and shall herald in a new age!

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#5 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

I dunno about you guys, but a minecart is considered an essential tool in my spinach kit. I just carry it with me wherever I go, and it bugs me sometimes that I lose it because a station will eat the cart, then not spit out a new one for me. I'll even try all four buttons and not get a cart refund. :(

So yea, everyone could just carry their own personal cart around.

Another idea is to have people pick up a few carts and put them in their enderchest before they go the end portal, so they can drop it off at their station. (Similar to what Ros said)

PPTS are the solution! This is the way of the future and shall herald in a new age!

Whatsa' PPTS? Google gave me powerpoint presentations and chemical equations. Neither of which seem relevant. 

Smile! :)

#6 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

Whatsa' PPTS? Google gave me powerpoint presentations and chemical equations. Neither of which seem relevant. 

It's a Piston Powered Transportation System (PPTS) or Piston Powered Locomotion System (PPLS). Granted the journey would be somewhat longer than mine cart given the current technology level.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#7 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

Nul the only real use I can see for the PPTS is for when it's not worth the time to set up a rail line or to cross large oceans.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#8 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Nul the only real use I can see for the PPTS is for when it's not worth the time to set up a rail line or to cross large oceans.

Time (construction) and resources. However further advantages include at least bi directional travel along any given axis in two modes; preordained between two stations and user directed/free form.

#9 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Since I live close to the midpoint between N and FN, I always leave home with a cart and either retrieve my cart just before I reach Central or snag a cart as I walk out of Central. Either way, the net result is zero change per station.

This might be a good time to roll out my cart container indicator and rebalancing idea. I haven't seen much of the station redstone (although I would love a tour from one of the engineers) but it should be a simple matter to run a comparator off of each cart storage chest. This signal's strength is proportional to the number of carts in each chests and can serve two purposes. First, it can connect to a surface redstone lamp that will light up if the chest has a specified numbers of carts or less. Second, it can notify fuller storage chests (assuming multiple chests per station) to send carts via hopper pipe until the deficiency is resolved. Admittedly, these solutions only address cart issues within a given station but at least we'll know which stations and chests are low on supplies so players would know where to bring excess Central carts via inventory and/or enderchest.

I am willing to work with anyone interested to retrofit N as a test case.

#10 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm imagining automated balancing mechanisms...

#11 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

Rob you lost me......

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#12 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

I'm imagining automated balancing mechanisms...

Then we're on the page. Automated balancing between stations would be a daunting task (especially in terms of materials), so I'm limiting the scope of my imagination to individual stations.

Rob you lost me......

It's what I do. In other terms, the chests that store carts at a station would be able to tell us if they're getting empty and/or redistribute carts with each other.

#13 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

Most of the station's redstone access is lableled, so you can go check it out whenever you want.

the cart system is just a simple hopper to dispenser system, with a hopper divert for foreign materials.  Also, the cart systems are line specific, not station specific.  You could throw carts into the central to west hopper all day long and it won't affect what is in the central to east system, so on and so forth.

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#14 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:04 AM

Then we're on the page. Automated balancing between stations would be a daunting task (especially in terms of materials), so I'm limiting the scope of my imagination to individual stations.

You might but I'm not :P

If we consider this problem then we need to begin understanding chunk loading mechanics. There are server side properties that likely affect this as well.

#15 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

if we just put extra carts in a marked chest at central, and ask players to take them from time to time when they are leaving, to replenish other stations.  Those stations directly connected to central probably need refilling the most.  As Ros noted, North always seems short.  I'd be happy to take some that way next time I'm coming through.

#16 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

if we just put extra carts in a marked chest at central, and ask players to take them from time to time when they are leaving, to replenish other stations.  Those stations directly connected to central probably need refilling the most.  As Ros noted, North always seems short.  I'd be happy to take some that way next time I'm coming through.

I agree 100%. Automated cart rebalancing between stations would be best handled by diligent players (and that's all of us! right? right!).

#17 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

I agree 100%. Automated cart rebalancing between stations would be best handled by diligent players (and that's all of us! right? right!).

If we remove the human element, we remove the problem.

#18 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

The human element made this entire system ;) I think we can manage to move some carts back and forth

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#19 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

The human element made this entire system ;) I think we can manage to move some carts back and forth

Think of the tedium though...

#20 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users