Photo

My First YouTube Mod-Showcase (Feeback Please!)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hey SG Peeps! I uploaded my first 'mod-showcase' to youtube today. This is the Matmos mod. It adds realistic environmental sound effects. It really enhances the experience of Minecraft by adding realistic sounds according to your environment. What's more is it works for Multiplayer! It's available for 1.6.4 and 1.7.10. Thought it was a cool mod so I decided to do a showcase.

Say, I'd appreciate your feedback on this video! Feedback, constructive criticism, advise ...and the like most welcome! Thanks for watching!

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#2 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

Hey Flame :)

first of all kudos for making this showcase! I find it always very helpful when modrelated topics are explained so thorough!

You asked for constructive criticism too, so I'll try to find something... ;)

1) As someone who works with pictures I have to point you to the copyright of your desktop image. You show it quiet a lot, but I guess its not a picture by your own design? If mr. Barrett had a bitchy day he *could* technically ask for a fee for using his face in this video. Maybe rather use a neutral windows background next time, just to be safe. :)

2) As impressive as the wind/storm sound is, there could be a bit less of it, maybe shortening the video a bit in the process.

3) And are you covering all sounds? I was  bit disappointed when you started to go into that cave behind the waterfall and then switched to the snowy landscape the next second! What was in that cave we are not supposed to know!? :P

I was expecting some kind of echo in the cave or water dripping sound or so, does the mod have that too? Alot of MC happens underground, it would be great if you could say if there are any sounds for that area or not. :)

I really love your voice and the speed of the video and that you dont hop around on your screen like a bunny on a red bull overdose. ^^

Hmm I really can't think of anything more atm.

Looking forward to more showcases from you!

Hugs

Claudia

#3 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

@ Claudia

Thanks for the excellent feedback! I'll try and address each point.

1. This a good point and reminder. Obviously copyright issues didn't even cross my mind with my desktop. I should be more mindful of what appears in my videos. Any suggestions of how I might give credit after the fact?

2. I see your point here! This ties into the next point...

3. In the showcase what you see is mostly what there is. With exception to that I forgot to visit the swamp biome and the nether. Also I neglected switching between every weapon material. I didn't even show what the iron blade sounds like. Its cool! I think I kind of rushed this production! 

Matmos seems to be somewhat limited in that there are only a handful of sounds. Not to say it doesn't add great sounds to the game. Don't get me wrong..I'm not complaining at all!  It's just that it seems that you get the strong wind everywhere on the map after a certain elevation. To the point where it's almost too much of one thing! For me, I think it is a lot better than the game without the mod. But there is room for improvment!  There is the pieceful birds chirping when you are at a low elevation. When you get higher the wind blows hard. So everywhere when I am at higher elevations it's windy. It's not so much because I am flying. I think it depends more on height. Then when player is by the ocean, you hear  seagulls and waves. Which is really cool!

With the caves, no custom sounds happend from the mod. It was quiet. And I didn't want to spend valuable video time exploring features where the mod had no effect. Plus the cave scene was a 'teaser'! ;) However, I hear what you're saying about wondering what happens. Maybe I should put an annotation at the spot in the video saying that there were no sounds. I have noticed though that sometimes underground there is a really cool 'water drip' sounds that happen seemingly at random ever so often.

I have found an addon mod to the matmos mod that, from the looks of the video, seems to be better than matmos. I havn't used it yet but it looks to have a lot more sound effects. Not sure if it's compatible with my setup yet. Looks like it's compatible with 1.6.2 but not sure about 1.6.4 yet.

Here's a link to

Minecraft Sound Improvement & Custom Music - Expansion

http://www.minecraft...-custom-music-a

Thanks again Claudia for your feedback! I've been getting the youtube bug again lately and I like to hear from my viewers of ways I can improve!

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users