Photo

Microsoft buys Minecraft...what does it mean?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Nationality:British

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

Anyone have any ideas how/if this affects the game we all love?

Posted Image

#2 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

I tend to take things as they come and not speculate about all the bad things that *could* happen. ;)

Sure there are many negative aspects in stock that could happen, but also good ones. I dont think they'd really want to piss of such a big group of future MS product users (mostly the kids playing MC) by screwing them over entirely.

I know MS is viewed as the big evil company by many people, but so are many producers of cheap clothing and yet we all like and wear our t-shirts... ;)

And frankly said ... why would it be such an catastrophe to pay for an upgrade for example? People work to make those happen and they wanna get paid as well.

I don't know enough about the things with other platforms than windows, so not gonna go into that one. :)

Anyways, little optimist that I am, I hope for the best and will cross any bridges when I get there. ;)

Happy digging ^^

Claudia

#3 gotkaya

gotkaya
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

I tend to take things as they come and not speculate about all the bad things that *could* happen. ;)

Sure there are many negative aspects in stock that could happen, but also good ones. I dont think they'd really want to piss of such a big group of future MS product users (mostly the kids playing MC) by screwing them over entirely.

I know MS is viewed as the big evil company by many people, but so are many producers of cheap clothing and yet we all like and wear our t-shirts... ;)

And frankly said ... why would it be such an catastrophe to pay for an upgrade for example? People work to make those happen and they wanna get paid as well.

I don't know enough about the things with other platforms than windows, so not gonna go into that one. :)

Anyways, little optimist that I am, I hope for the best and will cross any bridges when I get there. ;)

Happy digging ^^

Claudia

This is exactly what I've thought since the word came out.  It's really not worth getting worked up about something we know nothing about, so might as well stay positive about it.

Companies all over the world buy out other companies for many reason, but one major reason... the client base.   Mojang has a huge client base if that's what you want to call it.  No we don't pay monthly fee's but it's still worth it to Microsoft to take on such a huge client base and keep them happy, if nothing but for their image.  If crap starts happening to the game we love, we'll just have to take it when it comes like Claudia stated.   But for now, dig on!

#4 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

In the short term, nothing will change. Having said that, The enforcement of the EULA is certainly central to this situation and Ray would be wise to remove any instances of Mojang's logo from the texture pack. The donation widget is a gray area - there is likely nothing wrong with members chipping in to cover part of the server's cost, as long as those donations don't result in a profit.

The long term is a different matter. Bukkit (the interface between Minecraft and the plugins we rely on) is dead - the majority of the development team have publicly resigned and the project is currently owned by Mojang and supposedly being singlehandedly updated by Dinnerbone, despite a DMCA takedown request by one of Bukkit's developers. I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to keep our current setup, aside from Microsoft mucking about with Mojang's authentication servers which would force us to verify member login identities in a different way (and there are options for this).

WorldEdit creator sk89q provides a lucid overview of the Mojang/Bukkit situation and Ryan Morrison provides a legal perspective. My own instincts tell that Microsoft will want to recoup their US$2.5B investment and that they won't be able to achieve that by relying solely on an additional 100,000,000 one-time game purchases of US$25 each. Mobile will get pushed. Realms will get pushed. I expect that non-Microsoft platforms will continue to be supported but I wouldn't be at all surprised if updates started to carry a price tag.

#5 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but.

Minecraft is a game in development and was sold to us all with the future of getting a complete package. I do believe making us pay for updates is against what we were sold, the idea of early access games in buying it early before it's complete so the game developers can spend more time on it instead of having to keep up a job.

I'm not sure but does this mean we won't have to pay for updates?

On the plus side if we did it have to pay for updates would get rid of all the annoying children :)

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#6 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but.

Minecraft is a game in development and was sold to us all with the future of getting a complete package. I do believe making us pay for updates is against what we were sold, the idea of early access games in buying it early before it's complete so the game developers can spend more time on it instead of having to keep up a job.

I'm not sure but does this mean we won't have to pay for updates?

We have a complete package in the form of Minecraft 1.0, which officially brought Minecraft out of beta.

On the plus side if we did it have to pay for updates would get rid of all the annoying children :)

What demographic do you think drives the video game industry? Do you think all the annoying children bought Minecraft with their own hard-earned cash? Obviously there would be a significant decrease in the player base if paid updates become a reality and I believe that all demographics would be affected (notably the f2p/cheap bastard demographic in which I currently reside).

#7 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

The later was more of a joke Rob :) 

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#8 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

The later was more of a joke Rob :)

I know. I guess I can't go from rant to zero in one step.

#9 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the interesting overview Rob.

Zac joked on my profile feed the other day 'Please buy the Nether pack.' - may well be what they do, it's their style. I'm wrinkly enough to have bought Microsoft Flight Sim when it first came out, spent years buying the add-ons.....

As for Bukkit and the 60G server future format I have complete confidence in Ray's expertise and attention to this issue, I do really, Ray? Ray? Ray! Where are you Ray!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#10 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

Well Like the saying goes :) "It could be worse" For example EA could have brought Mojang.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#11 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

Too true....  I don't want to imagine what they would do with it.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#12 Pheonyxe5

Pheonyxe5
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 219 posts
  • LocationCarmel, CA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

I think there are pros and cons of this situation, like everything. 

I know that there have been many times we have shook our heads over some silly thing that Mojang did in an update that seems to be easily fixed, but is ignored.  And I'm not an expert on coding at all, but I know there have been remarks on how their coding could be improved in multiple ways.  As I see it, Microsoft taking over Mojang will help with these issues, which could mean that we start seeing better programming into the game, as well as faster and smoother updates that result in less patches needed down the road.  I know that this is very hopeful thinking, but it is possible. 

I'm not a psychic, but I think that Microsoft won't charge us to update Minecraft in its current state, they know that would turn off a large fanbase that they have aquired, one that has been built on a game that we are already conditioned to expect free updates from.  They would be more likely to start incorporating add-on's to the game that come with a price, though what that would be I couldn't even speculate on.

What I feel is more likely to happen would be a complete revamp of Minecraft, say Minecraft 2.0, where they rebuild the game from the ground up, polishing up features, graphics, code, etc., anything that is lacking or glitchy in the current version, especially since they don't get Notch in the deal, they will want to make it their own.  The current version would then stop receiving updates, except maybe the occasional patch here and there, and then release Minecraft 2.0 as a new game that anyone who wants a current and regularly updated game would go out and purchase.  I think this is a way they would balance getting a return on their investment along with keeping the current fanbase 'happy'.   And with that, I feel that Minecraft 2.0 would be the one that they charge us for updates, or maybe just pay for addition features/expansions (I.E. a Nether and End expansion :P)

I feel we can count on more of a push on the versions of other platforms, no matter what happens to our Computer version, as well and merchandising.  We'll be seeing more toys, games, clothing, etc. accessible at department stores.  Back in February there was lots of talk of Warner Brothers working with Mojang for a Minecraft movie after the success of the Lego movie, and that would be something I could see Microsoft aggressively pursuing still since it would bring more attention to their game, and one would assume and increase in sales to those who don't already own it.  

From my understanding ( from this WSJ post) is that as part of Microsofts deal in aquiring Mojang is that they are not allowed to move the company from Sweden for the first two years without paying a penalty.  This makes me think that we have at least a year, possibly two, that we won't see a whole lot of change to the game as it is now, we will just start seeing more push on the other platforms, advertising (I may be wrong, but I have never seen "official" advertising of the game from Mojang), and as I said above, much more commercial products for sale.  

:red_rose_32px: "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses" :red_rose_32px:

#13 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for your input folks.  I came in with zero info either way so this is all quite interesting.  EA *shudder* agreed.

I asked because in terms of starting builds that may take a year+ to complete I wondered if there was any obvious (to others who follow updates etc) reason not to start something in relation to the buyout.

Appreciate the considered replies.  I shall now go and break my brain trying to get world edit for single player to work on win7 64 bit (Java 64 bit installler - damn you, damn you to hell!)  :D

Posted Image

#14 kanight_kanievil

kanight_kanievil
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 585 posts
  • LocationArkansas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

From my understanding and from what I've been told, Mojang is supposed to continue in that name with MS as parent company so I think the labels would still be viable. The only changes are that Notch and a few key personnel would be gone. Youtubers are still going to be allowed to record their LP's with out any problems. Updates would also continue, at what rate is undetermined, but everything is supposed to go like it always has.  

#15 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:12 PM

Appreciate the considered replies.  I shall now go and break my brain trying to get world edit for single player to work on win7 64 bit (Java 64 bit installler - damn you, damn you to hell!)  :D

Save your sanity. Create a SMP server and then connect to yourself using localhost::[port#].

#16 simonparnell

simonparnell
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Coal

• 642 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

Will give it a try - might break my brain too :)

Posted Image

#17 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

Will give it a try - might break my brain too :)

If that doesn't work, there's always this.

#18 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

Realms will get pushed.

Minecraft News (client launcher, Nov. 10, 2014):

Thanks for playing Minecraft.

To keep up to date with development, please check Mojang.com. For more on Minecraft Realms - our easy to use, paid service that let’s you set up a persistent Minecraft world for you and your friends - please check minecraft.net/realms.

Have a nice day!

It begins.

#19 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:41 AM

STUPID MICROSOFT!

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#20 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

If you haven't seen, they've been really promoting it on mojang.com too. Ugh. I wonder when they'll start giving them extra features...

There used to be something here..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users