Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

Into the Long dark is a early access game on steam now.

The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration focused survival simulation set in the Northern wilderness in the aftermath of a global disaster. Brave the elements and other survivors, hunt for supplies, explore the world, uncover the mystery, answer the question: How far will you go to survive?

I really want this but...... I'm not sure yet... Anyone else playing it?

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#2 robplusplus

robplusplus
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 279 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

Into the Long dark is a early access game on steam now.

The Long Dark is a thoughtful, exploration focused survival simulation set in the Northern wilderness in the aftermath of a global disaster. Brave the elements and other survivors, hunt for supplies, explore the world, uncover the mystery, answer the question: How far will you go to survive?

[snip]

I really want this but...... I'm not sure yet... Anyone else playing it?

Pfft...if you have to push the narrative of your survival game, screw your survival game. Screw it with a blunt knife.

#3 Pheonyxe5

Pheonyxe5
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 219 posts
  • LocationCarmel, CA

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

From initial looking at the game, and the description, it very much looks like a game that I would want and buy right away (funnily enough Steam thinks so too as it was high in their recommended games for me)  however the second I look at the price and see its $20 (USD) in early access... that stalls my excitement.  I mean, it just dropped in early access, which usually means it still has a ways to go before it is fully completed.

While it does look beautiful at the start, and definitely there seems to be a lot more that will come for it, there doesn't seem to be a lot of substance or story to the game yet, it mostly just seems like exploring for resources to survive right now, and uncovering a "mystery" which could be anything really... I know that will come with more development, but I have an expectation of a more complete product if I'm going to be paying the same amount that I could pay for a more complete early access game that is further along in development, if not close to release (i.e. The Forest, Rust, DayZ).  Not to mention that there are many games already complete on Steam that go for that amount, or close to it.  

I also feel hesitation because at this early stage on a game the developer could still drop it and move onto some other project and put this on the backburner.. Its happened on a few other early access games where the developer is successful in their early access, make many sales, and they suddenly don't seem as motivated to continue updating and completing the project as quickly as when they started (Brings to mind Starbound for me right now..).  Not that all developers will do that, but there are a few. 

Honestly, I will be keeping an eye on this game and how it develops, because as I said it does have potential.  Add a few more unique and interesting game play elements to make this title stand out and I will happily pay for it in Early Access.. but right now I would be cautious about it.

:red_rose_32px: "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses" :red_rose_32px:

#4 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

It appears we are in the same boat Nxye, more than one developer has done this, Cough Cough Cube World.

I would be curious to know if anyone has brought it.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#5 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

It appears we are in the same boat Nxye, more than one developer has done this, Cough Cough Cube World.

I would be curious to know if anyone has brought it.

I have hope! Wollay will come through! I check weekly...

Smile! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Into the Long Dark, Survival, Dark, Long Dark, Early Access, I want this, Like Now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users