Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

Hi guys! I decided I'd take a trip over to the public forums and give you something to rabble about. :P

I just finished a project I've been working on the past few days. I'm super excited about this, I can barely contain myself. :) I wrote up a paper detailing what I know about quadcopters and what not. Its also got all the parts I'll be purchasing. This is my first quadcopter and I'm going to build it as soon as all the parts arrive. I'll update this thread with posts of my build as I go along. 

Quadcopter Project (Google docs file)

I'll also post some cool quadcopter videos, cuz' they're pretty cool.

Smile! :)

#2 kanight_kanievil

kanight_kanievil
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 585 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

cool! I've been wanting to do one myself, good luck with it. :)

#3 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:27 PM

cool! I've been wanting to do one myself, good luck with it. :)

Thanks! I actually forgot to ask for advice from other peeps in the OP. Do you have any tips for me? If you don't, and you need help, I think I could guide you a bit. Do you have plans?

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the whole project is about $300-$350. The reason its this much is because I have to buy some one-time products, like a radio controller. (Pretty much the most expensive piece) If I took out those things it'd probably be somewhere around $200, a good price for something of this quality as far as I can tell. 

Here's a plug-n-fly kit from Turnigy that's $175 (not including shipping). Its a solid model, but it isn't quite as good as the one I've got planned. As I mentioned previously, it doesn't include a radio, battery, or battery charger. (That's about $120 right there) It also has a KK2.1, which is subpar when it comes to FCUs. (That's another $30) I also have better props and motors that are of superior quality. (Another $40) So in the end this frame is probably a bit more expensive than what I could build from just parts. 

Be wary of HobbyKing btw, they have a reputation of having poor quality kits/frames. Their shipping is also pretty bad, but they do have some wicked low prices on certain products.

I just found another kit similar to the last one I posted from an unknown dealer. Pretty solid build, they even use the motors I originally selected. 

Here's another fun video. :D

#4 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

Wasn't there a story during the forth of July, where someone was flying one of these Quadcopter things during a fireworks show and some redneck shot it out of the sky "To protect his privacy from the Government spies" or something?

sig.png

#5 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

Wasn't there a story during the forth of July, where someone was flying one of these Quadcopter things during a fireworks show and some redneck shot it out of the sky "To protect his privacy from the Government spies" or something?

I'm not aware of this particular story, but there's some controversy surrounding how these RC quadcopters should be handled. The FAA is being slow when it comes to regulating domestic drones. From browsing the multicopter subreddit it looks like judges usually rule in the favor of hobbyists. Sometimes people receive letters from the FAA due to flying in areas close to airfields and whatnot, but it appears to be in a friendly manner. I would say its in a legal grey area as of now. Once these drones begin seeing commercial use by companies like Amazon or Google things will change rapidly.

The other problem is that everyone thinks these drones are recording them and spying on them. Truth is, many of these copters are actually recording video (Its the best way to fly them, plus its pretty much their main use). This rustles people's jimmies who gotta protect "mah freedum from muh government." I have a hard time relating, so I'm really not sure what the hulabaloo is about. 

There's also the stories of people shooting down Amazon drones in order to steal Christmas presents. (Hypothetical story)

#6 Moardawts

Moardawts
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts
  • LocationTennessee
  • Nationality:United States

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

I'm not aware of this particular story, but there's some controversy surrounding how these RC quadcopters should be handled. The FAA is being slow when it comes to regulating domestic drones. From browsing the multicopter subreddit it looks like judges usually rule in the favor of hobbyists. Sometimes people receive letters from the FAA due to flying in areas close to airfields and whatnot, but it appears to be in a friendly manner. I would say its in a legal grey area as of now. Once these drones begin seeing commercial use by companies like Amazon or Google things will change rapidly.

The other problem is that everyone thinks these drones are recording them and spying on them. Truth is, many of these copters are actually recording video (Its the best way to fly them, plus its pretty much their main use). This rustles people's jimmies who gotta protect "mah freedum from muh government." I have a hard time relating, so I'm really not sure what the hulabaloo is about. 

There's also the stories of people shooting down Amazon drones in order to steal Christmas presents. (Hypothetical story)

They are cracking down hard on academic usage of these type of drones. Got an email about it last Friday.

#7 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:03 PM

Podracers yo. 

#8 nopartyhorse

nopartyhorse
  • PipPip
  • Applicant
  • Plank

• 282 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

That is pretty EPIC!

#9 Snugg_7

Snugg_7
  • Tree Puncher

• 42 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:45 PM

That is absolutely cool!

.... and expensive I bet.  I looked into getting a kit.  A friend of mine just started his own business as a QuadPilot Contractor. He takes video for people listing their homes and it greatly enhances their listing.  

#10 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

That is absolutely cool!

.... and expensive I bet.  I looked into getting a kit.  A friend of mine just started his own business as a QuadPilot Contractor. He takes video for people listing their homes and it greatly enhances their listing.  

It is pretty expensive, I only decided to do it because one, I just got a job, and two, I figured it would be a good way to learn how to use an arduino. Also, its super cool. 

Do you need any help with buying kits? I can help you with whatever you might want to do. Just gimme a heads up, aye? ^^

#11 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:52 PM

Update on my quadcopter, I've got all my parts now. I just started assembling it today and got a solid 2 hours on it. :)

http://imgur.com/a/HlYgn?#0

#12 lolmate12

lolmate12
  • Applicant
  • Tree Puncher

• 56 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

To be honest, It looks amazing. I'm totally saving up to one of these :-) Do Hobby King deliver?

#13 lolmate12

lolmate12
  • Applicant
  • Tree Puncher

• 56 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

By the way, me and my mom is actually gonna share for a DJI Phantom Vision Plus ^_^ Might post videos whenever I get it. Looks epic. She is a photograph so it would be special for her to take pictures beyond reach.

#14 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

This looks awesome! I can't wait to see it in action. :D 

There used to be something here..

#15 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 06 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

To be honest, It looks amazing. I'm totally saving up to one of these :-) Do Hobby King deliver?

HobbyKing delivers through uhm, the normal postal system as far as I'm aware? It was dropped off by UPS for me.

DJI Phantoms are like the Iphones of the smartphone world. Sleek, strong, expensive, and difficult to customize, but user friendly (If you adhere to their rules). 

#16 Sms2697

Sms2697
  • Applicant
  • Tree Puncher

• 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like something a redneck would do hahaha

#17 Dahwhat

Dahwhat
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 19 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:03 PM

that pod racer video was awesome... i'm gonna have to look into this for the winter :)

#18 lolmate12

lolmate12
  • Applicant
  • Tree Puncher

• 56 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:51 PM

So just got my Quadcopter, it's awesome. This is gonna be my new hobby thanks for sharing your passion Senpai Sloth.

#19 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

notice_me_senpai_by_0zukachan0-d72fibw.j

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#20 Marek202

Marek202
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts
  • LocationWindsor Ontario
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

Schematix any updates on your quadcopter? I'd love to see it.

cowCzA.jpg

Marek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users