• PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:30 AM

Hi folks :)

every time I walk in the city my Feng Shui rants about all the torches randomly sprayed all over the place. So I would like to ask for permission to start on some more visually pleasing illumination of the roads. :) 

I thought about using different sizes of lanterns, big ones like the ones in the spawnpark for crossroads and smaller ones of a similar design for the roads, so keep the overall look the same. In addition maybe the odd pumpkin under glass under hedges, or maybe a hanging lantern from a tree - all close to the roads, not gonna touch the torches in the open fields, unless officially sactioned.

What do you think?

Hugs

Claudia

#2 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:10 AM

Sounds like a brilliant idea Claudia :D Go crazy! 

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#3 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:16 AM

I'd be happy to donate some glowstone for it, if needed :)

#4 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:53 AM

Awesome! I shall get to it asap then :)

I'm on a bit of a nethertrip atm anyways so I'll go get as much Glowstone as I can carry, but thank you for your offer, its much appreciated and I probably will get back to you at some point ;)

Hugs Claudia

#5 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:27 AM

You know how to find my storage if you need more :) 

#6 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

While you're at it, you could also patch up some of the holes in the lighting. I remember when I worked on my house in the city I was assaulted by the occasional zombie or skeleton. This texturepack might come in handy!

http://www.minecraft...g-lighting-aide

Smile! :)

#7 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

Lighting looks great, Claudia!

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#8 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'll have to be heading to central for some repairs this evening. Looking forward to checking it out! :)
There used to be something here..

#9 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 04:29 AM

Thanks Meg! :)   Far from done ofc, but will keep on it ^^

#10 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:34 AM

Very nice so far!  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#11 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

Here a little update for those interested :)

I've taken on the task to make the city as mobproof as possible. While I will not light up any roofs I started to make a torchgrid of 5x5 whereever a torch can be placed. If you find one too close to your house, feel free to remove it, but please see to that you still have the area lit up enough.

As Schem explained to me, mobs will not spawn at a light level of 8+.

You can track the artificial light with your debug screen (F3) looking at the number for "bl:" (thats nearly at the bottom on the left side) that number will be the light level at your head, so if it shows 7 and you have torches on the ground, at your feet the light level will be 8 (so enough).

I will continue with this very ocd friendly torch grid for now and then later get back to add "real" lamps or hedge lights, replacing some torches. If anyone feels the urge to join me in counting to 5, every help will be highly appreciated. I started in the NE corner, so I'd only ask that you place new torches according to that grid, not randomly starting another one ;)

Hugs

Claudia

#12 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

While you're at it, you could also patch up some of the holes in the lighting. I remember when I worked on my house in the city I was assaulted by the occasional zombie or skeleton. This texturepack might come in handy!

I've taken on the task to make the city as mobproof as possible. While I will not light up any roofs I started to make a torchgrid of 5x5 whereever a torch can be placed. If you find one too close to your house, feel free to remove it, but please see to that you still have the area lit up enough.

You can track the artificial light with your debug screen (F3) looking at the number for "bl:" (thats nearly at the bottom on the left side) that number will be the light level at your head, so if it shows 7 and you have torches on the ground, at your feet the light level will be 8 (so enough).

I will continue with this very ocd friendly torch grid for now and then later get back to add "real" lamps or hedge lights, replacing some torches. If anyone feels the urge to join me in counting to 5, every help will be highly appreciated. I started in the NE corner, so I'd only ask that you place new torches according to that grid, not randomly starting another one ;)

Hugs

Claudia

You should download and use that texturepack. It will highlight different light levels so you can figure out what needs to be torched! Red = bad, yellow and blue are good. It makes mobproofing much easier.

Smile! :)

#13 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hugs

Claudia

You should download and use that texturepack. It will highlight different light levels so you can figure out what needs to be torched! Red = bad, yellow and blue are good. It makes mobproofing much easier.

Seconded. No F3 anymore! :D (also more accurate).

Also, lighting looks great so far! 

There used to be something here..

#14 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:46 AM

Thanks for reminding me, I will download it!

Still I dont wanna interfere with people's houses so the odd redspot may stay dark. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users