Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:00 PM

I've been debating with getting a new computer (One that isn't a laptop) so I can clean up this one and use it for only school work and other stuff and game on the new one.

As such I've been trying to decide if I should build my own or just buy one of the shelf. Being a total newcomer to computers and their inner workings, I decided I'll ask some more "Adjusted" people on the matter.

Also if I should plan to build my own what price range am I looking at and what OS should I use.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#2 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:31 PM

Although I haven't bought and put together one myself, I have helped a friend put his together. It's surprisingly easy! I don't have any hardware recommendations, and the price greatly depends, but you definitely want Windows. If you want, you can dial boot it with Ubuntu or a different Linux distribution, but windows is a must for a lot of software. If I were in your position, I would wait until windows 10 (since 7 is old and 8 is awful) but it's your call.

I haven't bought a computer in years, so I don't have any specific recommendations for that.

Good luck! :D
There used to be something here..

#3 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

When it first became possible for mere humans to buy the parts to do so ( must have been mid '80s ) I built a few, omg 12Mhz speed thats faaast! Running DOS at the time. Learnt a huge amount from that, enough to quickly move away from Windoze boxes  ( Later I was an official beta tester on Win 95 as a punishment ) and rely on Ubuntu and Apple OS ever since.... and have had computers of all types as vital tools in my work ever since. 

Build it! As Blue says why not build one now and test it with an Ubuntu build, it can run Windoze later on. There are so many guides out there now it's perfectly possible for a beginner to do so.... a very useful skill to learn. Max the processor speed and RAM in your budget, you won't regret it.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#4 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:00 AM

I'd say figure out what parts you want in it, and look around to see what you can get cheaper :) Sometimes there are some great bargains on ready made ones. Last I bought one, I bought from a place that put in whatever you want in, and I've later replaced a few parts. 

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#5 stophix

stophix
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 118 posts
  • LocationUtopia
  • Nationality:Swiss

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

Disclaimer: I'm nowhere as experienced as other community members, but I did build at least some PCs in the past. So you're probably better off listening to these other gentlemen (or ladies).

These are just my thoughts on the subject. I hope they'll help you anyways. :)

There are benefits to building it yourself. First of all, you learn a lot about computers. If something stops working in the future, you'll be able to locate the problem much easier since you know where which part is and what it's supposed to do.

Also, for me, building my own PC saved me a few bucks (probably around $200, which frankly isn't too too much if you consider your invested time). Another thing that I experienced was that I felt a lot of satisfaction seeing my home-built computer running after I pushed the power button. Nowadays, many companies produce their hardware in such a way that everyone, even someone with limited knowledge, is able to put a PC together. I'm pretty sure that it was way harder 20 years ago but in 2015 building a computer is a bit like playing with LEGO. Plug-and-play so to speak. Sure, you need to know which parts fit together (like MoBo + CPU etc.), but there's always the internet that's willing to help.

Long story short: If I was able to pull it off, you can do it blindfolded. :)

Regarding the choice of your OS I can't really be of any help. I think it's a question of personal preferance. That said, I always used Windows. Other OS certainly have other advantages. Just keep in mind that most of the "private users" use Windows (afaik), which means that a lot of software will be created for this OS. I'm especially hinting at games. As said by others before, something like Ubuntu can be interesting if you're into these kind of things.

Now, the question about the price range you'll have to answer yourself. The price range for building your own PC starts with a few hundert bucks and climbs until it's in deep space. ;)

I'd suggest you try to decide what you want your computer to be able to do and look up what's recommended for doing these things. Like, if you just want to play Minecraft you obviously won't need the same expensive hardware as If you wanted to play, let's say AC: Unity. :P

Albert, mein Freund

ich wünscht es gäb nen Ort

es gäb nen Ort mit zwei Charlotten dort

ein jeder von uns nicht allein

und endlich wieder Freunde sein

#6 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

On the matter of OS, if W10 isn't out by the time I get the parts (and the budget) I'll use a version of linux.

Any trustworthy sites where I can find info on this?

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#7 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts
  • Nationality:British

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Building is easier than one would imagine. I would say that if you have an interest in Minecraft, have located and are actively involved in this community (which you are) then you definitely posses more than enough prerequisite intelligence i.e. it's not going to be a big deal for you. Even if you are unsure at any point, your going to be able to research/resolve the problem yourself. Have confidence!

I've been doing it now myself for approximately 20 years - at one point I even had a side business in it. Not just standard PC's but performance builds, servers and network infrastructure also. I really really love hardware and pushing it past it's limits. If anything I think things have only gotten easier as time has progressed - water cooling and custom loops included.

If you didn't already know about it then LinusTechTips is a fantasmic resource for newcomers and enthusiasts alike. He's also got a truly exhaustive range of video and show content covering just about any and ever aspect of computer hardware one could imagine. I frequent there quite often myself  :D

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#8 ROCKUK

ROCKUK
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 61 posts
  • LocationVegas of the North
  • Nationality:English

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

Lot of good advice, pro's to building yourself cheaper than custom made, experience in self repair, and as said above, con's if  you mess up you have to re buy the parts, chances of latter very rare nowadays only thing you will mess up on is the CPU, and that is if you don't put paste onto the surface correctly, which isn't that hard tbh, I have made a lot of desk tops in my time, no biggy.

It all depends on your $ what you can afford, you will not get guarantee, on self build the same as you will on some company's, you can make a sufficient build always depending on what you want it for which is the  main concern, what do you want a gaming pc, a pc that is good for visuals as in using software for vegas pro, or just a all rounder, I can give you links and will give you one, from a gamer who used to do this for a living, no one as the best answer,, as the hardware and software does change that often its really mad to keep up with, but, myself I am thinking of building another pc with this build, maybe a few adjustments.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7WQxr59KRto

Now that was a few months ago, and im UK im not sure where your from, but that is a very good rig, but it will give you a good guideline to go from.

Google is your friend, YT ( You Tube ) is good, but read the comments reference other peoples experiences, you will get a lot of peeps, saying this is not right etc, but they have not either listened to the info correctly, ordered the right parts, or are genuine loons, it is simple as peas, but if you want warranty's etc then go for pre builds, I would also go for windows 7, 8 and even 8.1 is bs, and is made more for apps ipads etc, im not going to argue on that one, but its pants, windows 10 is a vast improvement on the latter, but waiting about is your call, if  you have a old pc, with windows 7 hanging about not doing anything then use the code on that, for your own new build, you can and are allowed to download Windows 7 OS and install either with USB or disc etc, onto a new rig, as long as you don't use the old one again.

You will also get warranty's on 99% of your items you buy, to build your pc, keep the receipts, if a part goes wrong etc just claim back, but if you OC ( over clock ) on certain items as in graphics card, RAM and CPU, then you can lose that privilege, you can also buy lower ended pc's that are overclocked pre made, another option, never buy a pc that is pre conditioned, as in someone else had it, and it as been wiped of all their accounts and reformatted etc, and set back to factory settings, this is a no no, and ive found a lot of peeps very unhappy with this, as always its your call, just putting my two penneth in as other peeps have <----- UK saying,,

Just to clear up something above, when you buy from a seller pre made, etc you usually get a longer guarantee than you would do for the parts separately, but, tbh no one ever worries about that, as you will most likely upgrade as you go along, graphics card, ram, hard drive as in SSD and even CPU, that's how it goes tbh, I've always stayed a couple of steps behind latest builds and upgraded when I feel the need to, there is no need whatsoever to have the latest all singing dancing computer, it as always depends on what you want it for, MC hardly uses your pc compared to say BF 4 or the latest games out there.

Any hoot good luck with whatever choice you make, and if stuck, all peeps above and myself inc will help you if needed ;)

Posted Image

#9 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:11 AM

What do you want a gaming pc, a pc that is good for visuals as in using software for vegas pro.

I want both.... I do a bit of editing as I'm taking film at school.

Now that was a few months ago, and im UK im not sure where your from.

It says where I am from just to the leftish to this comment.

I just need to get some cash together and get the parts then. 

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#10 ROCKUK

ROCKUK
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 61 posts
  • LocationVegas of the North
  • Nationality:English

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

ah lol sorry was late and I had been gaming all night on the vino lol, ;) anyway keep us updated if you need any feedback.

Posted Image

#11 Serlin3

Serlin3
  • Pip
  • Log

• 156 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 18 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

I agree with stophix.

To paraphrase Al Davis, just build baby.

#12 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:03 PM

Oh hey... look at this thread! I just learned how to build a computer a month ago. Haven't ordered the parts yet, but I think the build is pretty final as of right now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jjPKxr

What I would recommend. Decide on a budget before hand. You can get a decent computer for about $600, but its not going to be anything exceptional. What I have is pretty good, not amazing, but good. :) (Although now that I say this, someone is prolly gonna tell me that I'm wrong, which I welcome! Any advice is welcome)

Everyone else in this thread is pretty spot on on whether or not you should build or buy. Its like legos. Its slightly cheaper. Its also a learning experience. Takes a lot of time though. 

Smile! :)

#13 Baeldeth

Baeldeth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 37 posts
  • LocationMarshall, SK

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

What is your price range and when do you want it?

#14 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

Well.... 

I don't have a job and I kinda got to wait for about three months before people might even hire me (15 is the lowest age limit for a lot of places) 

I want a decent computer so I was thinking $1200-1800, I'm going all out... 

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#15 Baeldeth

Baeldeth
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 37 posts
  • LocationMarshall, SK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:35 PM

Well.... 

I don't have a job and I kinda got to wait for about three months before people might even hire me (15 is the lowest age limit for a lot of places) 

Cool. Well I will put together a couple builds in pcpartpicker and share them here. The only thing that sucks is prices are crazy in New Zealand for electronics, but with your price range it shouldn't be a huge issue.

#16 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:11 AM

Well.... 

Cool. Well I will put together a couple builds in pcpartpicker and share them here. The only thing that sucks is prices are crazy in New Zealand for electronics, but with your price range it shouldn't be a huge issue.

I know right. I was thinking of getting some stuff shipped here instead.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Buy, Build, PC, Desktop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users