Bamfigms
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 189 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Nationality:Appalachian American

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I'm not sure how everyone feels about this, but I think it's time to discuss portals.

The rail system is an amazing build, and it's quite nice to look at... but it makes visiting tedious.

I visited more in the last SG map, and feel like I would again if travel times were reduced.

Portals seem like a great way to do this. I feel that some portals to and from the hub would really make SG feel like a true multiplayer again. For me it is starting to feel like single player with chat.

I see a few options if portals were to be considered.

1. Portals for select staions, similar to the way the wilds/nether portals are.

2. Portals for all stations, though this would be a bit over the top.

3. Individual portals, everyone gets a portal.

I think 3 would work best if your portal was to your area from  your hub home. I realize this would be quite the undertaking, and that it would make things "too easy"... but I think it would be worth it just to see the hub come alive, and to have some real player interaction ( eveyrone would have a hub house, and could pop in and out for visits).

I have the most fun on SG playing side by side with someone else, and that has become too rare for my taste.

What do you fine folks think?

#2 ROCKUK

ROCKUK
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 61 posts
  • LocationVegas of the North
  • Nationality:English

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

I like the idea albeit a noob on here, I've travelled a lot on the rail and its amazing, but for the time it takes from certain destinations to another, puts me off visiting most locations, as we all have a lot of priorities going on in our own builds with being and taking care of our own grinders etc, anyhoot, good post food for thought ;)

Posted Image

#3 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:46 AM

Agree completely about the visiting reduction and consequent complete change of atmosphere on 60G. I and a few others said that would be the result at the beginning of SG6 planning and stuck out for some inter-map portals at the time.  

I now wonder if this has any role to play with the difficulty in attracting and keeping suitable new players that we seem to be experiencing just now, I think it was Ros who said that people do not relish an old version server when 1.8 has so much to offer... I agree that may be the case but I have seen so many arrive, start a build and then vanish in the past 6 months I begin to wonder.

The rail system and redstone magic is incredible and it was enormous fun to be involved ( in my lame builder fashion) in its inception.... but I agree with Rock that with the limited MC time at most peoples disposal most do not relish spending 20 mins or more in a cart if they want to visit hub or someones build and then return. i certainly don't.

If I had to go for one of your options Bam it would be 1.

Thanks for raising this again, vets do you have any thoughts on this?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#4 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

I went to visit Merlinver yesterday and it took over 35 minutes to get there by rail. I realize we as a server voted for our transportation options,  our Rail system is really grand and we should be very proud of the accomplishment. 

If you were able to calculate the total wasted time we have collectively traveled, I am sure it would be an astonishing number. So very often SG is a ghost town and I believe the rail system has played a part in that. That and the delay by Bukkit/Spigot to release a 1.8 mod version.

No doubt it would require a bit of administrative time, But we could take some of the work out of it by putting the portals in place ourselves, leaving Ray to activate them. 

I have a plan where not every station would get a portal, but the 8 cardinal directions would be represented The hub would have 8 out bound portals, and the 8 farthest stations would each have one portal. intervening stations would have two portals-out bound and inbound. To  go from, say, far NW to the hub would require 2 jumps, going from far NW to far SE would be 4 transports

#5 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:48 AM

That is an admirable plan Dan...   8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#6 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:48 AM

I couldn't have said it any better Danny. 

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#7 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:11 AM

I like it! 

Where do I sign?

#8 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

I only have half hour or so at a time now days, so I don't want to spend it solely on travelling. As much as the rail system is a fantastic acheivement and I take my hat off to everyone who helped build it, I have to admit I don't like travelling massive distances unless I have a book with me. Then I log out and the next time I'm on is when I get done whatever I was travelling to do.

#9 Nuluvius

Nuluvius
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 271 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:44 AM

Yes my sentiments are much in line with the consensus as well. I have very little time these days due to massive work and family commitments.

How much 'vanilla' is one prepared to sacrifice? I suppose conceptually portals are still topologically/overtly 'vanilla'... i.e. it's not the same as an implementation of /warp x, y, z, ...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

#10 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

I've been listening to the chat about this topic while playing and I completely agree that the long travel times are a real detractor to visiting other builds. I visited all the parts of the map when I first joined but since settling in at my base I've only ever gotten to the builds in that quarter of the map. I'd love to check out everyones progress but I just don't want to spent the 30 mins it would take.

As an addendum to any portal builds I'm also excited by the idea of potential public houses/buildings to house the new portals. I missed out on the station builds and would love an opportunity to do some new public buildings :)

#11 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

....potential public houses......

Mine's a Guinness!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#12 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

Concur with the others' comments. With the spread out nature of the map and no quick/easy way to get to others there is less reason to interact with other players wiwhich is part of what makes the server great.

I would even go as far as saying we should go back to the setup we had on SG5 with just the one wilds and nether portal which "forces" everyone to go to central. That's where a lot of interaction happened before.

The rails still have there place for shorter journeys but such a pain crossing the entire map to visit others.
You can't get there from here.

#13 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:08 AM

....potential public houses......

Mine's a Guinness!
Should have seen that one coming 😉. That's what pubs are called in the UK right?

#14 merlinver

merlinver
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 143 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:04 AM

I'm in favor of portals as well. Like others, I spent many hours building the rail system - I'm proud of it and truly want people see the cool stuff I/we did along the way. But the time investment for travelling any long distance discourages travel, therefore people aren't seeing the rail system anyway.  It doesn't have to be complicated, just something to move around the map faster. 

I like Dan's plan - a similar version could be and inbound and outbound portal at Far East, Far South, Far West and Far North. This isnt as encompassing as Dan's but would put you within 2 train trips of every corner of that quadrant. Since the Train Stations were not designed to house these portals, we may need to consider external portal houses where they wont fit inside. This would give people who didn't build a Train Station a chance to be part of the SG6 rail project.

Changes aren't permanent.
But change is.

#15 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

I'm in agreement that we need a quicker way to move around the map. We don't have the vanilla option of using nether travel as the nether resets so the next nearest thing is extra portals.

I've found myself playing a lot less recently. Something is missing and I think it's the interaction within game and the travel time is to blame in my opinion.
I like coffee!

#16 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

Another idea very much like Dan's suggestion would be to have portals going to central from each of the stations that already have wilds or nether portals. I'm guessing that most people have already optimized their rail connections for these stations.

#17 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

*Throws bag of agreement at Dan*

I like the plan.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#18 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

What were we all smoking when we agreed to the rail system, anyway?

I agree with the majority.  Someone start pestering that admin guy.  What's his name again?

EDIT:

I suppose I'll elaborate and say that introducing portals would not make me play more.  I agree the rails are extremely inconvenient for many, not for me in particular, but there are plenty who are far out and it takes a ridiculous amount of time to visit others, to the point where visiting someone is impossible if you don't have a few hours to spare, and many of us don't.

But portals aren't going to make me play more. Portals directly into your house won't make me play more, but that's just me.  I don't play as much anymore not only because real life is extremely busy for me, but because we're playing on such an  outdated version of the game.

The time I have to spend riding a rail to a particular spot is in no way why my playtime has severely decreased, the staleness of the game is, because we've been stagnate in the same  version for over a year now.  I'm sure for many it's a combination of both.

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#19 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

What were we all smoking when we agreed to the rail system, anyway?

I don't know but I want some.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#20 Bamfigms

Bamfigms
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 189 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Nationality:Appalachian American

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

I know no one is really asking my opinion, but  it seems to me like there is a bit of talk about going the hard way. Yet again.

If we are going to do portals, and acknowledge that short travel time and *acutally playing together* are things worth having... why in the world are we thinking about "well, only a few portals, so you still have to use the rails some".

I say no half measures. I think we should go oprah "you get a portal, you get a portal, everyone get's a new portal!"

Failling that... I think the best solution would be to have portals put in every single station heading towards the next station in line. basically a portal in the direction of each rail line that simply removes the rail travel.

That way no matter where you are you only have to ride rails once to get to the hub.

I understand the urge to not make things "too easy" (not really), but I really don't understand the idea behind removing only part of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users