Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

I completely agree. I, too, have found myself playing less and less, mostly due to the fact it seems like it has become single player recently. Usually the only others on are in perpetual AFK mode, or are not very chatty. I have mostly downgraded from using diamond armor/tools purely because it takes so long to get to a wilderness portal.

I like the idea about 8 portals based on the cardinal directions, but I think the best stations for them would be E, W, N, S, FSW, FSE, FNW, and FNE. This would ensure that every station is only 1 ride away from any given station, making best use of the travel time.
E: I misread, my mistake.

While I do think portals would be best, I think maintaining the wilderness/nether portals is important. This spreads people out, even if it does push them apart. One remedy for this might be to have the other wilds portals in the wilds themselves, a little ways off from the hub portal. This would force people to go to the hub whenever they need resources, while retaining the ability to go elsewhere in the wilds quickly.

Just my thoughts :)

There used to be something here..

#22 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

LadyEh, you will play more...even if we have to fly to Canada and kidnap you and strap you in front of a computer. :-)

You can't get there from here.

#23 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

LadyEh, you will play more...even if we have to fly to Canada and kidnap you and strap you in front of a computer. :-)

Blu, you get the plane tickets, I'll get the straps!

#24 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

So not having portals is keeping people far away and OFF MY LAWN!!!.

I fail to see the problem.  :P

#25 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:15 AM

Wouldn't be too difficult to create a vast lawn map just for you!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#26 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

There was a vote.  see Moving Forward With SG6: First Set of Votes

We were given two options for portals

Plan 1.  Wilderness and Nether portals only at central with Portals to Central distributed around the periphery of the main map like was the case in SG5.

Plan 2. Wilderness and Nether portals at Central AND distributed around the periphery with NO portals to Central.

It was specifically stated we could not have both - it would be too "easy".

Maybe having only plan 1 or 2 turned out too be too "hard" as many of us are now thinking.  I agree - the required rail travel is a big time sink.  You plan your game play around doing other things while you are travelling on the rails, like go mow the lawn, etc.

I admit to having voted for plan 2 above.  I did so because that plan gave us the opportunity to teleport to many different places on the Wilderness and Nether maps, while plan 1 only allowed you to teleport to one location.  In SG5 we only had one set of portals to the Wilds, and this made hauling mats from a mine in that was some distance from 0,0 a real PITA.  So I traded ease of transportation on the main map for ease of transportation in the alternate maps.

I think what everyone is asking for is the forbidden plan 3, a combination of 1 and 2, which was originally not offered up for vote.  Now that we have lots of experience with Plan 2, it is reasonable to revisit that decison.  

#27 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

I suppose I'll elaborate and say that introducing portals would not make me play more.  I agree the rails are extremely inconvenient for many, not for me in particular, but there are plenty who are far out and it takes a ridiculous amount of time to visit others, to the point where visiting someone is impossible if you don't have a few hours to spare, and many of us don't.

But portals aren't going to make me play more. Portals directly into your house won't make me play more, but that's just me.  I don't play as much anymore not only because real life is extremely busy for me, but because we're playing on such an  outdated version of the game.

The time I have to spend riding a rail to a particular spot is in no way why my playtime has severely decreased, the staleness of the game is, because we've been stagnate in the same  version for over a year now.  I'm sure for many it's a combination of both.

As Lady was saying, ever if we sort out the rail issues there will always be that issue of the update.

If we are going to do portals, and acknowledge that short travel time and *acutally playing together* are things worth having... 

I've found myself playing a lot less recently. Something is missing and I think it's the interaction within game and the travel time is to blame in my opinion.

Concur with the others' comments. With the spread out nature of the map and no quick/easy way to get to others there is less reason to interact with other players which is part of what makes the server great.

I would even go as far as saying we should go back to the setup we had on SG5 with just the one wilds and nether portal which "forces" everyone to go to central. That's where a lot of interaction happened before.

What I'm getting from that (Correct me if I'm wrong) but is a lot of us are missing the interaction, I've noticed this too, that's why I've been planing the get together, I've heard plans of making a little city to try get some interaction going.

See the main map is great but with the bukkit update unheard of right now and the rails becoming a issue.

Maybe we should make a third world (Or Server, I have no idea how you would do this) 

One running latest update (We wouldn't be able to wildness then) and the idea being that we all work together to build stuff instead of simply going 30 rides away from each other.

This would be temporary of course until we get a bukkit update but it might help to solve some of the issues of lack of interaction and long distances because there wouldn't be anything.

Just a idea. It might make some temporary relief and honestly I find myself forcing myself to play.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#28 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

snip

We tried a creative communal build back on SG5, while we were waiting for Bukkit to update and the server to reset. At first people used it and built things, but it eventually failed and the server became even more of a ghost town than it is now, leaving the project nearly incomplete. I kind of get the feeling the same thing will happen here if we do that.

I don't know much about the politics or workings behind bukkit, but last I heard it wasn't being updated at all. Period. If they do, someone gets to sue them or mojang. Is spigot still an option? I think they were doing something 1.8. If not, we definitely need to figure out a different system.

#29 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Darn and it seems like such a good idea to rekindle some minecraft..

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#30 Bamfigms

Bamfigms
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 189 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Nationality:Appalachian American

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

So... everyone will say it's too easy.

I know a really simple way to fix this.

/tp spawn

takes your ass to 0/0 on the main.

/tp home

takes you to your set "home" location

For all of the "too easy" types... consider that we already have half of this system, and I see everyone doing that. Dying to respawn at either the hub or their base.

#31 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

/tp spawn

/tp home

For all of the "too easy" types... consider that we already have half of this system, and I see everyone doing that. Dying to respawn at either the hub or their base.

What about other player houses? Does it work for that too? Is it with vanilla, or just bukkit? If Bukkit, I don't really see how it brings much of an advantage over portals, besides being completely instant...

#32 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:20 AM

/tp spawn

/tp home

that would at least cut all journeys in half or more wouldn't it?  For example you could jump into Central with /spawn and then take the train to someone's house.  You could then get home quickly with /home.

#33 Macflea

Macflea
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:26 AM

The problem with a tp is that it's not just easier for transport, it's used as an escape from places, if you're stuck in a fight you can't win you can quickly tp home. The same with going home from anywhere on the map. No more getting lost/exploring.

#34 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

The problem with a tp is that it's not just easier for transport, it's used as an escape from places, if you're stuck in a fight you can't win you can quickly tp home. The same with going home from anywhere on the map. No more getting lost/exploring.

Good point.  That would make it way too EEEAAAASSSSYYYY!

#35 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

Remember guys, if we ever do someday get on 1.8, the rail lines are 3 times faster.

We also have the problem of having too many portals, the last server had 9 portal locations, the new portal system would end up being 12.

Also doubly keep in mind - You guys will have to build places for all these portals, not that I think anyone minds really. But 12 spots for portals plus a redesigned central will be required.

sig.png

#36 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

1.8 for a server... uhm  do you think 2016 is optimistic?  ;)   

I'm ready to assist with portal buildings right now   8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#37 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

We can easily redo the central park to fit the portals :) I'm all for the hub getting more use than it has had. I'll dig up the lawn myself! Right now!

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#38 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

Is that true - that minecarts are faster in 1.8?  I thought they briefly put that out in one of the development releases but then pulled it in the next release - perhaps because the minecraft code was too crappy to handle it.

#39 Macflea

Macflea
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:40 AM

What's the latest on a 1.8 update?

#40 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

What's the latest on a 1.8 update?

My best answer is "NFI".

Problem is, we still have no clue when/if-ever bukkit 1.8 will be released, and switching to something like spigot isn't something we can just quickly do, more than half our plugins won't work (including the portals for example), I'm holding out crossing my fingers a 1.8 bukkit will actually happen once the DCMA bullshit is over with. If we switch to spigot I don't think we'll like the results in the long term. :/

sig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users