Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Is that true - that minecarts are faster in 1.8?  I thought they briefly put that out in one of the development releases but then pulled it in the next release - perhaps because the minecraft code was too crappy to handle it.

Looks like that is the case.

I don't really think 12 new places for portals are going to be an issue. Might take a couple weeks or so, but we can do it! :D

Have we come to a consensus on what to do with the wilds portals yet?

There used to be something here..

#42 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

Meaning yes- snapshot 14w17a reverted back to the old minecart physics.  In the end nothing changed.  Minecarts are NOT faster in 1.8.

#43 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:47 PM

Logical solution would be to turn them all into Station -> Central portals, then only have 1 wilds/nether portal again.

sig.png

#44 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Logical solution would be to turn them all into Station -> Central portals, then only have 1 wilds/nether portal again.
But then we'd lose the ability to go to far-off Mesas and thinks like that... On the other hand, if we keep them, we lose the condensing effect single portals give.

#45 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

You wouldn't lose the ability to go to the far-off mesas, you'd just have to take a longer trip or put in your own rail system.  I've done that even on the current setup when I wanted to collect clay and the mesa wasn't close to the portal.

You can't get there from here.

#46 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

You wouldn't lose the ability to go to the far-off mesas, you'd just have to take a longer trip or put in your own rail system. I've done that even on the current setup when I wanted to collect clay and the mesa wasn't close to the portal.

I was more thinking about when the Mesa is at the edge of the map, and without the current portal system we'd have to track or walk 5,000 blocks...

#47 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:15 PM

Kids these days...back in my day we didn't have mesas ;-)

#48 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, it might be we have to trek more in the wilds but for my part that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if it means we get more of the SG5 vibe back.

#49 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

Sure. I don't really have a preference, seeing as I rarely adventure out in the wilds, I'm just making sure the tradeoffs get considered. I don't know how much others value the space. :)

#50 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:28 AM

Regional wilds portals are indeed useful but I would happily trade them for faster transportation and an increase in activity.

Uncle Ray, please  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#51 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

I'm in favor of a central wilds/nether portal, and faster transport.

#52 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

Why do we have to trade?  Why can't we have two portals at some stations?  Keep the existing wilds or nether portals where they are and just add a portal to Central?

#53 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

There was never a problem in the wilds before we had more than one portal. in fact people used to enjoy building roads out in various directions.
I like coffee!

#54 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

Well I disagree.  There was a problem getting to the far corners of the map.  You can't disagree it is more difficult without more portals, but we can of course disagree about how difficult it was.  But the new Wilds is a lot bigger than the SG5 wilds, so you need to take that into account.

But again, I'd like to hear why we have to trade one convenience for the other.  Is there some cost/difficulty associated with having both a wilds portal and a Central portal in a remote station.  Or is this an issue of you can only have one helping of dessert/pudding but not two?

#55 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Well I disagree.  There was a problem getting to the far corners of the map.  You can't disagree it is more difficult without more portals, but we can of course disagree about how difficult it was.  But the new Wilds is a lot bigger than the SG5 wilds, so you need to take that into account.

But again, I'd like to hear why we have to trade one convenience for the other.  Is there some cost/difficulty associated with having both a wilds portal and a Central portal in a remote station.  Or is this an issue of you can only have one helping of dessert/pudding but not two?

Keep in mind, that leaving in the wilderness/nether portals doesn't give you easy access to *your* nether/wilderness, it gives everyone easy access to *all* of them within 10 seconds of each other.

I mean, this is a survival server after all, having 5 nether/wilderness portals on top of the interconnected SG5 portals is a bit overpowered. :P

sig.png

#56 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:37 AM

We could put new Central portals at the outer stations that do not currently have a wilds or nether portal.  No station would have both a nether/wilds portal and a Central portal other than at Central itself.  That would mean a minimal train journey to get between different places on the wilds/nether maps, it would not be just a portal hop.

Having distributing portals to the wilds and nether is very helpful to ensure that resources are not overally depleted in just one location.  Wasn't that the reason given for distributing the additional portals at the outer stations?

Doesn't my suggestion sound like a good compromise to make travel around a little easier but not too easy?

And if it is decided to remove the peripheral wilds/nether portals, you might as well save system resources and generate a 50% smaller wilds/nether map.  The outer reaches of the current map would be pretty unreachable and seldom if ever visted.

#57 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

The outer reaches of the current map would be pretty unreachable and seldom if ever visted.

Except by maybe crazies like me :-)

#58 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

The outer reaches of the current map would be pretty unreachable and seldom if ever visted.

Except by maybe crazies like me :-)

If only you could put on hiking boots in MC

#59 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

I like GT's ideas.

IMO, a quick(er) way to get to hub would be great.

And a central wilds portal (and nether portal for the goths, of course) would be great too.

Having just one portal to the extra maps does put us all close together. Stepping on each others toes. Fighting over sand. That's true. However, when we are all together, that's where the party is.

#60 Bamfigms

Bamfigms
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 189 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Nationality:Appalachian American

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but just to make it short and to the point...

I think less travel time is better, because I really miss playing with others on here. I'm not sure what overpowered/too easy even means in a situation like this, it just seems to be imposing difficulty for the sake of it.

I'll shut up now, I just wanted to say my bit about not falling for the attraction of doing it the hard way :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users