Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:48 AM

I'll buy that scenario. Trekking to and fro is wearing my wheels out.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#82 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

I like the idea of a central wilds and nether portal. And also a longer reset intervall of both, like 3 months or just on request when its really starting to look like a swiss cheese. ;)

Two or three resets back the dynmap would only show what we actually explored. I don't know if that was intended, but I must say I loved to have more terra incognita and I'd suggest we always have it that way! Yea yea I know I could just *not* look on the map... but you know how it is.

If we only have said central portals we probably need the transport portal system as well. I still like the rails, but I'm not living on the outskirts of the map, and I could imagine its very annoying to haul everything from central to the outmost corners.

I agree portals may promote some more sponateous visits around the world. Its a lot more fun to visit someone while they are online and due to all those different timezones there usually isnt much overlapping playtime to "waste" for travelling.

If nothing else, the joined project of building little portalhouses and the novelty of having them (the portals) may rejuvinate the numbers of players again.

Have a great day!

Claudia

#83 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:12 AM

Listen to this wise german lady :)

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#84 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Indeedy, we now have a rare, near total concensus. We await judgement from the Gods, but first a sacrifice .. who's turn is it?

The dynmap refresh... I have a vague memory that leaving it blank until explored caused some issue or other. It certainly meant that as the thing slowly rendered away over a longer period latest builds, tracks, paths etc were not getting displayed for a long time. Dynmap is generally a pain in the proverbial.

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#85 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

Let's sacrifice Kop. Where is he, anyway?!

#86 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Nationality:USA

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:48 AM

3 month resets on the nether with only 1 portal!  Mark my words: Glowstone is going to be very very hard to come by.  Rollback technology a generation.  We'll be more reliant on torch lighting.

#87 Macflea

Macflea
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:13 AM

But having 3 months means you have time to go further out to find glowstone. There's enough of it, we just have to travel a bit further.

#88 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:18 AM

so you're trading one travel problem for another.  is that progress?

#89 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:07 AM

Surely glowstone shouldn't be an easy thing to get a hold of to start with? :) it's too shiny!

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#90 Macflea

Macflea
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

so you're trading one travel problem for another. is that progress?

The original issue raised was that the length of time it takes to travel on the main map causes less interaction between players. Having a set up similar to SG5 doesn't provide a travel problem in the wilds or nether, as I see it. It provides team work to get further out hence helping to solve the original issue. I would rather work a bit harder alongside someone to get my mats than have them within easy reach and never see anyone.

#91 GreenishTroll

GreenishTroll
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Wooden Axe

• 599 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:58 AM

no debate that it would be good to improve travel on the main map.  I was trying to point out earlier in this thread that adding portals on the main map to aid in travel does not require us to reduce the number of portals to the wilds/nether.  The main reason for not doing that is the opinion that with more portal travel on the main map, it would be too easy to get to the different portals to the wilds/nether, enabling players to instantly hop about the wilds/nether, and some also believe reducing the portals  would foster cooperation in order to overcome the additional travel in the wilds/nether imposed by having only one portal.  

I countered that you could place wilds/nether portals at stations where there were no portals to Central.   This would require at least one rail journey to move between spots on in the wilds/nether.  I did not see a comment as to whether this was still to "easy".  Thus I am puzzled why we are treating this as a need to give up one thing to get another.   As of the additional cooperation fostered by single wilds/nether portals - that can be left to everyone's own judgement if that is needed if we already make cooperation on the main map easier.

Self denial builds character, but otherwise it generally sucks as a life strategy IMO.   :)

#92 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

If we keep the current wilds structure, we basically remove the cooperation aspect from the wilds. Everyone will go to the portal nearest their station, and since there's not a big enough distribution of players, no one will run into each other. Having one central nether/wilds portal will facilitate that meeting.

As for the reset period and glowstone, we're all missing an easy solution. Why not reset the nether on a 1 month basis? It's so small that exploring won't matter, and Ray's going to have to do monthly maintenance anyway monthly. Just have the wilds on a 2-3 month interval. :)
There used to be something here..

#93 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

gw16f.jpg

#94 Moardawts

Moardawts
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts
  • LocationTennessee
  • Nationality:United States

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:02 AM

3 month resets on the nether with only 1 portal!  Mark my words: Glowstone is going to be very very hard to come by.  Rollback technology a generation.  We'll be more reliant on torch lighting.

Surely glowstone shouldn't be an easy thing to get a hold of to start with? :) it's too shiny!

Make villagers. Trade for emeralds. Trade for glowstone. Never step foot in the nether again. 

TL;DR You pre-program a route using items inside of chestcarts that will allow you to AFK an entire trip.

It's too bad this post didn't get more attention. This system is so beautiful *praises own work*

I'm not sure folks realize how much time is lost during transfers. I've always welcomed train rides as an opportunity to take a break from minecraft while I travel. Coffee/teabreak and play with my dog time. 

===========================================================================

@ topic

I might suggest a sort of alternative idea... I realize that this wouldn't work super well for the current implementation of SG but perhaps in the next iteration. 

* Make the map smaller, considerably smaller. Do some tests, whatever the maximum comfortable travel length in a minecart is. Maybe 2000 x 2000 instead of 10,000 x 10,000. 

* To make up for the loss of land mass due to smaller size, layer more build worlds parallel to the primary world in the same way the wilds/nether are laid out. IE have portals at the center/fringes. 

* Parallel build worlds have other potential upshots: different build rules per realm, possibility to have biome themed realms (mostly desert, mostly ice, etc), etc.

* Major downside: if there are a lot of parallel build realms we may see a ton of portals per station. Unintended consequences performance wise?

#95 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:05 AM

TL;DR You pre-program a route using items inside of chestcarts that will allow you to AFK an entire trip.

It's too bad this post didn't get more attention. This system is so beautiful *praises own work*

I'm not sure folks realize how much time is lost during transfers. I've always welcomed train rides as an opportunity to take a break from minecraft while I travel. Coffee/teabreak and play with my dog time.  ...

It is spectacular, and would lend itself to some wonderful nicknames for stations other than the current N, FNW, ENE, WSNW, QWOP setup, which, although descriptive, are not as fun.  

"I live out by Poison Tater.  No, the Station, Not Renic."

If we can't get portals, your system would be a big help as it does waste a lot of time to try the cart management Russian roulette system for every hop (not to mention that I personally get all turned around half the time and have ended up somewhere completely different from my intended destination on more than one occasion.)

The "smaller map" idea could be revisited in new iterations, but essentially more portals = effectively smaller 'maps' within the bigger map.  The SG5 communities were basically that: several 'smaller maps' within the main map with their own organic rails.  It worked much like the plans here to tie the existing network in with local portals, having private spurs off them (except without the benefit of multi-player branches like in SG5 for seeing multiple neighbors on one run.)   

Posted Image

#96 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

So... 

We should probably set up some sort of polling system soon, so we can consolidate everyone's opinions and move away from a bundle of disjointed ideas. From what I see, our options are:

1. Central portal placement

• NO extra portals, the system and travel time remains the same.
  • 8 portals located where the wilds/nether portals currently are.
  • 12 portals situated in a "checkerboard" pattern, making central only 1 ride away from any given station.
  • ALL 24 stations have portals
  • Alternate rail system? I'm not sure if this is an option at this point.

2. Wilds/nether portal placement

• Wilds/nether portals remain where they are. This has the negative effect of spreading people out, so there is less working together, but it has the positive effect of allowing people to get to far-off resources.
  • Wilds/nether portals are only at central. This condenses people and makes the map feel less empty, but it will require more teamwork to get to the far off areas.

3. Wilds reset times

• Remains as is. This makes it harder to reach further off areas in time, but it resets the areas closer to the portals(s) more quickly, rejuvenating resources.
  • 2 month intervals. Longer intervals makes it easier to reach far off resources, and helps facilitate teamwork.
  • 3 month intervals.

4. Nether reset times

• Remains as is. This makes glowstone/quartz gathering easier due to the nether's small size, but mob farms and the like are reset quickly.
  • 2 month intervals. Longer intervals make it easier to farm mobs and do teamwork, but make glowstone/quartz rare.
  • 3 month intervals.

5. End reset times

• Remains as is. The enderdragon must be defeated each month, and the end grinder needs to be rebuilt.
  • 2 month intervals.
  • 3 month intervals.
  • Never. This makes it easier to keep a fast, good, and working end grinder, but it removes the ability to gather enderdragon eggs making them a finite resource.

Just wanted to summarize what we've discussed so far. Let me know if I missed anything or if there's a better way to go about this! :)

There used to be something here..

#97 DrCrowtron

DrCrowtron
  • PipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Plank

• 244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Remove all portals immediately! ! Think of the children !

#98 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

The Crowtron speaks!  Millions are confused!!  Politics as usual! :P

#99 BobTWC

BobTWC
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 149 posts
  • LocationKettering, Ohio

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Can I just say this is my first time on television?

Tea or Coffee?

Toffee!!

#100 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

Was it a bird? Was it a plane?