#1 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

Hey Everybody, I probably should have made a post to introduce myself a while ago. And I haven't really been that chatty on the server but I've decided that I need to change that about myself. I blame my very shitty typing skills for this. I sort of hunt and peck at the key board or just beat it with my heavily callused knuckles. I actually only started using a computer 10 years ago when a friend suggested that if I didn't that I would be left behind and unable to grow in my work. That said 10 years later I'm very good with the 'a', 'w', 's', and 'd' keys.

I live in Toronto. I have two kids, 13 and 3. We planned the first. The second was an accident after we thought we were finished. That won't happen again. I won't recommend doing it that way. They both are wonderful though. The 13 year old is on this server (eames2000) but he never plays. I think he just didn't like that I was on a server that he couldn't join.

I'm an artist. I've been working in and around the art world since graduating from art school 15 years ago. At first I worked as an industrial designer for other artists. It's a funny sort of job. Artists would hire me to make their art for them because they didn't have the skills to build it themselves. A lot of the projects were technical and over time I became known for building robots. It was a fun job and I got to travel a lot doing art installations. Eventually I got promoted to my level of incompetence to a job in Zurich at the Swiss Federal School of Technology consulting with master and Phd students on mechanical design. It was fun working with the students but was way over my head and it took me away from art so I quit.

Now I make art full time, or at least try to. I have a collaborative art practice with my wife. We have been working at it part time for about 10 years with some small successes. But since the birth of our youngest we have put that work on hold. My wife went to work to put food on the table and I became a stay at home dad. But while I was at home with the kid I started to make solo work. It's actually the first solo art works I've made since graduating. The solo work is almost entirely inspired by my obsession with minecraft but is made with Lego. It has all been made over the last year. I used about 200,000 bricks and spent a ridiculous amount of money, making me question my sanity many times.

I'll let pictures tell the rest of the story. Here are some sample pics of the Lego.

ldOYQy8.jpg

8ZncI81.jpg

h7cIStz.jpg

nO0DhGB.jpg

With this next one I just could not resist the uncanny resemblance between Andy Warhol's skull and the skull painting ingame. It uses just under 39,000 1x1 tiles and is 5'x5'.

VweVT9v.jpg

And here is a sample of the work I have done with my wife. This is actually a functioning Rubik's cube with poems on all six sides. You can solve it or write your own new poems. And then if you like you can print them (it's also a printing block).

LF5inqY.jpg

And this is probably my favourite. It's an installation that did we together about 2 years ago.

#2 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:50 PM

You've got a future in plastic.

Really good. Loved it all.

#3 zblu64

zblu64
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 205 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Amazing!

You can't get there from here.

#4 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:37 AM

Matt this is wonderful work! The playing with typo in the installation is stunning! Are the fron letter also smaller than the ones in the back? How long did it take you to figure out the details to make the illusion complete?

And those Lego sculptures! I especially love the green one with the "wobbles". ^^

The rubiks cube is simply beautiful. You could try to publish that as a new version of scrabble! ;)

Please keep sculpting and keep us updated when you have more.

Hugs

Claudia

#5 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:43 AM

Glorious Matt, I really enjoyed your work,  thank you for sharing it  8)

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#6 ananda11

ananda11
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workbench

• 373 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA
  • Nationality:Irish-German

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:49 AM

Dang, Matt. That is some fine work. So many talented peeps on SG.

#7 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:01 AM

Thanks everybody! It's nice to hear you guys like the work.
Claudia, the big text piece was developed on and off over 5 years. It probably took longer for us to find the right text and decide on the layout. Once we got down to actually fabricating it it took 2 months of CAD drawing and only 2 weeks to make the letters. I got to buy myself a laser cutter to make it:). We didn't actually get to see the finished piece until it was installed in the gallery (our studio is tiny). The whole piece is split into 5 layers with each layer getting smaller as it gets closer to the front. It can only be read from one spot. Otherwise it is just a jumble of words. Standing inside the letters has this uncanny feeling of being inside someone's head as they are thinking. We didn't expect that.

#8 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:54 AM

Wow. Just wow. I'm thoroughly impressed :D

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#9 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:28 AM

Another WOW from me. They are simply amazing!
I like coffee!

#10 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Nationality:American

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

Those are amazing! Very, very well done. On all of them.

There used to be something here..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users