#1 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

I am 67 years old and had a career in IT. Until retirement, I didn't game at all. I have been playing MC for 3-4 years now, mostly single player. My grandchildren got me interested in MC and my interest grew from there. I have only played on two servers. I first played on my daughter's private server, where I played with the grandchildren and children. During a birthday party on the server for my grandson, a friend of his gave me my first and only experience with griefing and uninvited PVP, which turned me off playing on servers.

When my daughter nearly ceased playing on her server, I began to miss playing with others, so after a while I tried a new server (don't remember the name) that touted being for mature players and that would not tolerate griefing, etc. Well, it was fun while it lasted, even though, I never was able to interact with anyone else. The server then disappeared after a month or so.

I follow a number of the MindCrack members' LP videos, which has me wanting to try playing with others again. A Google search led me to a number of mature player servers, of which SixtyGig seem to fit me best.

I am a life long woodworker, so my IGN is EZwoodworker. The EZ comes from a woodworking tool company I was doing some online work for at the time I got into MC.

Although I do not usually make MC videos, I have a number of live and animation videos that I have done related to woodworking. Here is the only MC video I have at present, it is of a rail line that I constructed on my daughters server (http://youtu.be/0RWyaWzBPoA). Somewhere I have some clips of a roller coaster I also built there, but cannot find them at the moment.

I am not the greatest builder, but I enjoy what building I do.  I tend to spend a lot of time gathering resources, mostly below ground.  I tend to spend a lot of time gathering resources, mostly below ground. I also enjoy building small automated farms and simple utilitarian devices (i.e., switches for turning on and off portals, as their noise is irritating.)

I hope that you will look favorably upon this application.

Dik

#2 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:58 PM

Oh, I live outside of Augusta, GA, USA.

#3 Marek202

Marek202
  • Inactive
  • Tree Puncher

• 57 posts
  • LocationWindsor Ontario
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Welcome EZ and good luck with your application. I too am a woodworker at heart. What type of woodworking projects do you have a passion for?

#4 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:11 AM

Hi Dik!

Welcome to the forums, you just missed a round for applicants so you need to wait a while. So stay active and hang around.

67, ye Gods!  You're older than me, I'm 62 this year. You could be older than Dan who falls over his beard regularly  8)

This is indeed a calm place, no griefers here!

Enjoy,

Captain

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#5 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:49 AM

Welcome EZ and good luck with your application. I too am a woodworker at heart. What type of woodworking projects do you have a passion for?

Well, my deepest desire is to make furniture, but I have spent the last 20 years remodeling our home.  I have most of it done, but it gets harder every year to do some of the work.  I have recently developed an interest in metal work and wood turning, but don't know how far that will go as I only have old and/or very basic equipment for those endeavors.

My basement is my shop, and I tend to wake up several hours before my wife, can't go to the shop, so it is top the office to piddle on the computer.  Much of that piddling is MC if I'm not planning some project in SketchUp.

EZ

#6 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:54 AM

You could be older than Dan who falls over his beard regularly  8)

That is why I keep my beard trimmed ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

At least I have developed patience with age...

EZ

#7 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hi EZ and welcome to the SG forums :D I'd love to see some of the furniture you make! There's nothing better than creating something, just the way you want it :)

You would indeed knock Danny out of his spot as the oldest (and therefore, clearly wisests) SG member, if only by 2 years.

I hope you stick around and get to know us all, till the next application review round :)

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#8 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hi EZ! Welcome to the forums! I would love to see some pictures as well, do you have any to hand?

Good luck with your app!

#9 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Hi EZ and welcome to the SG forums :D I'd love to see some of the furniture you make! There's nothing better than creating something, just the way you want it :)

You would indeed knock Danny out of his spot as the oldest (and therefore, clearly wisests) SG member, if only by 2 years.

I hope you stick around and get to know us all, till the next application review round :)

Work on the house has limited the furniture to built-ins.  You can go to ezsmart,blogspot.com to see some of my work (appliance garage, bookshelves, and pantry), or I can upload some pics.  What is the preferred method?

Thanks for the warm welcome from you all!

#10 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

Whichever you prefer :) And damned that pantry looks ... amazing! My OCD is playing up ^^ 

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#11 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hi EZ. WeLome to the forums. I could do with your skills in the back of my van. Some nice shelves and cupboards would do nicely :D
I like coffee!

#12 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Hi woodworker and welcome! I feel you about looking for a mature community....We are a fun bunch here and I hope you will enjoy our company!

What resource pack is that in your video? The rail isn't looking bad at all. I have to admit, even in 3 years of playing MC I still have not constructed a fully operational rail line....nor have I done several things in Minecraft.

Hope to see your around soon! :)

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#13 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

I use Soartex Fanver.

As I mentioned in my appLication, I have played on my daughter's private server, and My son and I built a rather nice roller coaster there. If I can find the clips I have of the roller coaster, I'll edit them together and upload to YouTude. If I can't find them, I might log on to my daughters server (if it is still live) and and make some new ones.

#14 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

Hi EZ. WeLome to the forums. I could do with your skills in the back of my van. Some nice shelves and cupboards would do nicely :D

My wife would say you can't afford me until the house is finished ;)

#15 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Whichever you prefer :) And damned that pantry looks ... amazing! My OCD is playing up ^^ 

Thank you!  I keep refering to my blog where appropriate so that I don't have to add so much explaination.

#16 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:51 AM

Well, couldn't find the clips of the coaster, so made a new video.  It is in MC 1.7.2 and using Optifine and Soartex Fanver resource pack.  It is currently being processed by YouTube, but the URL is: http://youtu.be/P3qS4DnmW0M

Hope you like it.

#17 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:10 AM

Stunning pantry!  We want one!

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#18 ArrowToTheKnee82

ArrowToTheKnee82
  • PipPipPip
  • Established
  • Workbench

• 336 posts
  • LocationStaffordshire

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Well, couldn't find the clips of the coaster, so made a new video.  It is in MC 1.7.2 and using Optifine and Soartex Fanver resource pack.  It is currently being processed by YouTube, but the URL is: http://youtu.be/P3qS4DnmW0M

Hope you like it.

Nice!

And welcome! I have a passion for woodworking, although not actually done anything since leaving school.

Plans are to build a workshop when we buy our own house and have that as my man-cave... wouldn't mind trying my hand at some timber framing either.

#19 Zellcos

Zellcos
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 228 posts
  • LocationThe desert. Hence why I build by a jungle biome.
  • Nationality:Americano

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:45 AM

Hope you like it.

That's so....simple.

Why haven't I built one of those yet?!?!?!

*kicks self*

Hello Mr. EZ, and welcome to the forums! You'll find a lot of nice people here on SIxtygig, and I've never had a problem about griefing or pvp of any kind since I joined. Well, other than too many people swinging their swords at the same zombie at once. That does happen sometimes.

My question to you is, I know you said you like mining and making farms, but is there anything else you like to build? Like when you build a shelter, is it a treehouse? Or a temple? Viking style houses?

Or do you just kinda make a hobbit hole in the ground with a door? (We've got people like that too!)

Considering your background in woodworking, I was just wondering what style of houses you like to build.

Again, welcome to the forums, and good luck on your application!

Edit: I just checked and it's been two years since I joined! Still no problems with griefing or pvp though!

#20 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

My usual tact with a new world is to perform much like a UHC participant until I'm well outfitted.  This usually happens in branch mining, sometimes caving if a suitable cave is readily at hand.  Once outfitted I either build an underground base until I have had sufficient time to scout for a suitable location for an above ground dwelling.  Those dwellings have taken various forms: glass and birch, farmhouse, whatever strikes my fancy at the time, and the available resources.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Application

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users