EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA
  • Nationality:American

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

Had to cut that last post short...

I have never built a large build.  I guess that coaster, the rail system that leads to it, and the train station (not all my doing) are the biggest builds I have done/helped with.  I tend more toward functional than decorative, the glass and birch house I built only had the main floor furnished, and there was more of it underground than above. 

That said, I'm willing to try anything, just don't expect anything fancy from me without guidance.

#22 renic_ixillon

renic_ixillon
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Wooden Axe

• 565 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

Welcome to 60Gig EZ!

Yours is one of the better apps I have seen in a while!  Good job!

Thanks to some of the old farts we have now in 60Gig, I am no longer on the  seasoned side of our venerable community.

You are safe from most things on a survival server except for the hits from same targeting as above or if you get on my lawn.

I come from a long line of Irish carpenters.  My uncle always said we had sawdust in our blood!

What is your favorite brand or make of coffee?  Any questions for us while you wait on your application?  If so, ask sone of the nice people we have around here.  There are far too many of them if you ask me, but I more than nalance things out the majority of the time.  Having Torcido and Ray around also keeps the niceness to a minimum. :P

Good luck on your app and thanks for applying!

#23 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

...My uncle always said we had sawdust in our blood!

What is your favorite brand or make of coffee?  Any questions for us while you wait on your application?

Thanks for the welcome!  I hope to get to know all for you here.

A member of a woodworking forum I started had as his signature something like: "If you are getting SAW dust, you are doing something wrong!" 

Me, I make lots and lots of wood dust ;)

I don't drink coffee since cafine and my stomach don't get along.  I outside of water, decafinated mint green tea is my beverage of choice.

No questions at this time, looking around the forum  has answered any I can think of.

#24 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East
  • Nationality:British

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:40 AM

Tea!  We are in the ascendent!  Now we need a tea party on that lawn.....

Best wishes for your application. We need more old farts to balance out the flood of young whippersnappers, in my day we had to crawl on our bare hands and knees through broken glass to get in here blah blah blah blah   blah    blah

What?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#25 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:29 AM

I've been exploring the map a little this morning, and I'm over whelmed. Most of what I see is far beyond my design skill level. I can see that if I get in, I'm really going to be challenged to keep up the standard. I think that early on I will need to work as a helper to soak up some of the skill evident here.

One thing did come to mind, I have thought for a while to create an adobe or Hopi village and the mesa biome looks to have several prime locations.

This reminded me that I tried to create a JPG of the world on my daughter's server. I did a bunch of exploring and generated nearly 1000 maps that I then used to piece together one huge map. After much work and trying lots of methods, I finally gave up. This is the best I came up with.

My daughter started a huge wall with the maps in item frames. She never finished it either.

#26 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:44 AM

Let's try that again...

sBPTqvA.png

#27 mattdaddy2000

mattdaddy2000
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 84 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 18 March 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hello EZ and welcome to the forums. It seems your app has brought out all the wood workers, myself included.

That plywood cart on your YouTube channel is pretty nice. I've been meaning to build a table like that for myself but more general purpose lifting/handling big heavy flat things. I guess when I can no longer lift a sheet of ply and push it through my saw I'll get around to it.

That's also a pretty sweet track device you got on your saw. I have to say I'm very attached to my Festool track saw. One of my favorite tool purchases. I always bake a new tool into each job I take on (not that I'm taking any these days).

You sound like the right kind of person for the server. Good luck with your app. Perhaps we can talk shop in chat sometime.

#28 61tasc130fe

61tasc130fe
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 108 posts
  • LocationGlen Rock, PA (USA)

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Well someone just woke me up. Welcome to the forums EZ. Hope you stay around as it will be nice to have another member of the senior squad. Much like you - I was introduced to minecraft by my grandchildren. Pretty much shared the same journey - bouncing around on servers only to become disappointed by the people populating them. At the sake of sounding arrogant I can say that this is an incredible group of people on this server. Please stay connected to the forums for a couple more weeks and hopefully you'll make the April cut of newbies.

#29 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

Thank you mattdaddy, I'm real pleased that there are so many other woodworkers here.  If you do SketchUp, I have the model of that cart that the animation was made from.  I could send you the file, or a link to it.  The great thing about the cart is that I can slide the plywood from the pickup on to the cart and then either take it to where it will be stored, or set it up horizontal and use the track saw to break it down to more manageable pieces.  In fact, there are some pictures in this blog post that show me doing just that. 

#30 Zellcos

Zellcos
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 228 posts
  • LocationThe desert. Hence why I build by a jungle biome.
  • Nationality:Americano

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:56 PM

I've been exploring the map a little this morning, and I'm over whelmed. Most of what I see is far beyond my design skill level. I can see that if I get in, I'm really going to be challenged to keep up the standard. I think that early on I will need to work as a helper to soak up some of the skill evident here.

EZ, here's the most important part of building stuff like this:

Fake it 'till you make it

Honestly, we're not concerned with how well you build. The only place we try a little to keep aesthetics in mind is Sixtycity, and that's it. Everyone here started out building dirt block houses and punching wood.

This is a community because of the people, not the buildings. 

: ]

#31 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 02:24 AM

That's good to hear.

I've been thinking about a couple of things.  

Do members some form of communication other that chat when playing together (TeamSpeak, Skype, etc.)?

I found some videos of the SixtyGig world done by WordlyWalker, but are there any more out there?

I'm contemplating making videos if I get to join you guys and gals, is that an acceptable thing? 

#32 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:04 AM

We've got a ventrillo server, that I don't think anyone ever uses :) Once in a blue moon there have been a few skype calls going on. Mostly we text chat in google hangouts really, well a bunch of us, the ones who want to ;)

I think Crow made some videos at one point, but that might have been on the last map. And it's always acceptable, we love watching server videos :D

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#33 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:27 AM

Thanks Rosleen, I just found Crow's videos after posting the above.

#34 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Dr. Crowtron,

Just watched one of your videos where you mentioned that you are a research psychologist.  I have a masters in biopsychology (basic behavioral research) and worked in research for 5 years at the Veterans Administration before moving to run their psycho-diagnostic lab for a few years.  I then moved into computers (which is mostly what I did any way) full time to finish out my career.

#35 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

I think if you search for 'SixtyGig' on YouTube you'll probably find a few videos lurking around. I did a couple of silly things and I think some others have as well.

#36 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:03 PM

I think if you search for 'SixtyGig' on YouTube you'll probably find a few videos lurking around. I did a couple of silly things and I think some others have as well.

The only problem with that is that you all the dozens of video reviews of the SixtyGig resource pack.  It is hard to weed out other videos, but I'll look again.

#37 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Ooh right, yeah.. I haven't done that search since the resource pack came out.

#38 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

I don't recall seeing anywhere the origin of the appellation "SixtyGig", that is if it is not a well guarded secret?  ;-)

#39 EZWoodworker

EZWoodworker
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 88 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:58 AM

I guess it is a secret.

#40 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

I don't recall seeing anywhere the origin of the appellation "SixtyGig", that is if it is not a well guarded secret?  ;-)

Shhh.... Don't ask...

I'm a cat now, how odd.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Application

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users