Raymadin's Application

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:23 AM

Hello SixtyGig community! I am very excited to have discovered this server and to think I stumbled upon it by chance (more on that later). Thanks to Stacy for the application template; here, then, is my information:

In Game Name: Raymadin. This handle originated from one of my World of Warcraft characters. As you may guess, the name is a pun on the Paladin class. You see, I am quite terrible at thinking of names for my characters in those types of games so I just use the class to help with that. For example, I had other characters named Raymlock (for the Warlock) and Rhaman (for the Shaman) etc. Incidentally, I use the past tense because I no longer play that game. Now if you are wondering why all the Raym-type names it is due to my real name found in the next section.

Real Name/Preferred Name: Raymond. That is my real name but I go by Raym to distinguish myself from those who may share a similar name such as the Admin. I pronounce it as R-A-Y –EM. I have heard others say it as rhyme—which I don’t really see it as that but pronunciations do not really matter to me. You say toe-may-toe I say toe-mat-toe right?

Previous Minecraft Experience: I’ve been playing Minecraft early on before it was officially released. I do not remember all the details. . . I think it was in beta and priced around 15 dollars. I do remember having to look up a YouTube video on how to survive the first night. I also remember spending many months playing and trying to create my first structure, a wizard tower, which eventually spiralled out of control.

As the years have gone by I have played off and on when the mood strikes. I’ve always played on survival mode. Some of my memorable highlights include:

• Digging a 25x25 hole all the way down to bedrock using just stone and iron tools (I have a screenshot of that if anyone would like to see it one day).
  • Building my first pagoda following a YouTube guide. I think it was by Mathias Kappen.
  • Building many more pagodas since it was the only thing I knew how to do (sighs).
  • Building a long rail system from my home to where the other players generally were on this server. The ride, by minecart, took fifteen minutes!
  • And recently now, stumbling across the building style of Madness64 and building things in his style—my proudest achievement, following his castle tutorial and building it with my own modifications.

As a last note for this section, I am not literate with redstone but would like to learn.

Your Background: Well let me start by saying I am from Canada, BC, Vancouver. As a Canadian I do follow my local hockey team, the Canucks. As a youth and teen, I used to follow the team with devout fanaticism but that has waned over the years. For example, when I was a teen and the team loss, I would literally get angry at them saying to myself, “why did you have to lose!” Nowadays when the team loses I just go about my business, ho hum.

Similar to Rayvolution, I grew up with video games: I started off playing the Atari, Coleco Vision, Intellivision, and then the NES and SNES. I think we had a Sega somewhere in there too. But after the SNES I switched from consoles to computer-based gaming. To this day, I have not owned any other consoles. So with computers, I started off with the Atari-ST and then Commodore Amiga. I remember spending hours after school playing Dungeon Master to the detriment of my academic grades.

Speaking of academics, I eventually did scrape my way through post-secondary and earned my BA majoring in English. I was never a model student which is ironic since I chose to become a teacher. I am still relatively new to the profession and I am still learning how to be more effective. Actually, the learning never ends in this respect.

As for my passions, computer gaming would be my strongest passion. Strangely enough, I am currently not playing any games at the moment with regular consistency—not even Minecraft.

Now some of you might be wondering if I am not playing Minecraft why would I want to join—allow me to explain: when I stumbled upon your server I got so excited because the guiding principles of this server align with my beliefs as well. I will give three examples. First, I really like the idea of a long application process and I am certainly going to commit through the entire process. Second, when I read that the Admin will not cheat nor provide perks for others I just smiled inside because that is exactly my philosophy to gaming as well. When I play my single player games I never cheat because I know that cheating is just cheating yourself out of your own fun. I learned that lesson early on in Diablo where cheating was soooo rampant. I duped and duped and found that I no longer had any desire to play anymore. Fun=*poof*. My last point is based on concept of ethics. I really liked the concept of knowing what is intrinsically right or wrong. If the members of this community have this sense of ethnics then I want to be a part of it—and rest assured you will discover that I am good-natured too. I really do not know if I am conveying what I feel about finding such a like-minded server—let me just say I feel as if I found something truly special and cannot wait to be a part of it.

I will conclude with a little about my family. I am not married yet but I am in a relationship and it is going well *hooray*. I am a middle child. I hear that middle-children have a strong sense of what is fair and not fair. I find that this is true for me; I want things to be fair and am disappointed when this is not so—perhaps this explains my philosophy on cheating in games too. My siblings are also all gamers to various degrees. But they do not like Minecraft unfortunately.

I will be happy to elaborate on any of the points I mentioned and/or other questions in this thread. I look forward to replying to them :)

Thanks,

Raymond

#2 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:53 AM

Hi Ray, welcome to the forums.

I agree fully with your cheating yourself out of fun in a game. Going back to when I was a kid with my c64, I'd get a monthly magazine called ZZAP64. In this mag was the cheat section. A few pokes and peeks and you had infinite lives. The game was never the same to play again. Ray always ensures we do things the hard way. Look at the rails or in fact anything on the server. It's all mined and built in survival. It's quite an achievement to look back on.

What do you teach?
I like coffee!

#3 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:05 AM

Hi WordlyWalker :)

Yes I agree with you about the achievement thing. Like that 25x25 hole I dug out--I was so proud of that hole lol. Seems silly now but I felt a great deal of accomplishment.

I have taught grades 8, 9, and 10 in high school English; I have also taught a little bit at the elementary intermediate level. Elementary is now my current focus.

#4 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:17 AM

To be fair a 25x25 hole to bedrock is quite an achievement.
I like coffee!

#5 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:32 AM

Hi Raymin, welcome. I love your 25 x 25 hole achievement, I'm well known in RL for digging holes for myself  ;)

Tea or coffee?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#6 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:30 AM

I wanna go dig a hole now!

#7 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

Welcome to our forum Raymond! :)

Your application was a great read and I think you would fit in here very well.

Does that new castle you've been building have little pagoda roofs then? ;)

Good luck!

Claudia

#8 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 21 March 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hi Raymond! And welcome to the SG forums :D Points for a well written application with loads of info ^^ Makes me happy every time I see one of those!

Stick around and get to know us :D

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#9 Zellcos

Zellcos
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 228 posts
  • LocationThe desert. Hence why I build by a jungle biome.
  • Nationality:Americano

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

Hello Raym, and welcome to the forum!

Now, to get right to the grit of it:

You dig holes. If I need a hole dug I will call on you. Checklist item number one: Checked.

But what do you build my good sir? WHAT DO YOU BUILD!?!?!?

Ahem.

In all seriousness, welcome. I swear I'm more civilized when I'm not sleep deprived, so you'll have to excuse the caps lock above. Basically, what building style do you have?I know you said you did a bunch of pagodas, but have you experimented past that? Are treacherous temples your thing? Viking villages? Rayvolutionary rotundas?

I'm not usually this bad, I'm sorry. It's just that the puns have to come out sometime, and I'm on a roll.

Or, alternatively, do you just like the mining aspect? We have a bunch of people with that mentality as well.

Welcome to Sixtygig, and don't let me scare you off!

#10 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the cordial replies so far; I chuckled out loud at some of them :)

Ok Captain Marko was wondering if I am a tea or coffee person. Well maybe quite a bit of both actually, but I lean more towards a nice warm cup of tea if I had to pick right at this moment. When I do have my coffee, I drink it black nowadays as the cream and sugar do not agree with anymore. Before that, I used to have 4 cream and 4 sugars from the coffee shops. Ah those were the days.

To Fishbrine: did you go and dig that hole? And I see that you are from the so-called capital of the universe (Toronto)--how are those Leafs ? :)

To Likliksnek: Haha no, the castle(s) I built didn't have pagoda-like roofs on them. Instead, the roofs look pretty much the same as Madnes64's version. All I did differently was to shave off the very top block and put a glowstone instead. If I can figure it out, I will put some screenshots in my next reply :)

Btw, that hole that I dug ended up with a pagoda inside of it at the bottom. Ugh. It did not work out well as it just looked strange from up above.

Hi and thanks Rosleen. That is an interesting avatar you have there---are those mice in the cup?

Zellcos: haha sure, if you need a hole dug, let me know. Yes I have experimented past bulidling pagodas :) I started trying Madnes64's building style. If you are unfamiliar with him, he builds medieval-ish stuff using default texture pack. So right now I am in the phase of still emulating other people's style so that I can develop my own. And yes, I do like to mine and fish in the game. Also I like chopping wood. I once cleared an entire jungle island of vegetation without using fire--but never did use any of that wood for anything doh.

#11 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

I am not sure how to post or upload screenshots to the forum. I don't have these pictures online. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Oh I tried pasting them here but it does not seem to work.

#12 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Hi Raym, welcome to the forums. I can emphasise with the jungle clearing saga, my build on the last SG map was on a jungle island. I also never used the wood. I think I ended up always using it to make doors and chests and things.. I just never liked the colour.

Good luck with your app!

#13 Zellcos

Zellcos
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 228 posts
  • LocationThe desert. Hence why I build by a jungle biome.
  • Nationality:Americano

Posted 22 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Most people upload them to an image host (I use Imgur, as do a lot of others), then link it here using the BBC code.

And it is possible, you're not restricted because of your rank or anything as far as the forum goes.

I can't find it, but someone had a post somewhere about linking images too, darn it.

Tim? I dunno.

#14 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

The bbcode should work. How else would past applicants have shown us their work?
Check out puush.me or the imgur site that Zell mentioned. Upload your pic there. Get a URL.
Then ...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7BWZoq8.jpg[/img] 

With your URL, it should work.

#15 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

To Fishbrine: did you go and dig that hole? And I see that you are from the so-called capital of the universe (Toronto)--how are those Leafs ? :)

i dug a hole and put the Leafs in it.

I'm from Newfoundland and am just passing through Toronto ... although it's been almost 30 years.

#16 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

Thanks Zellcos and Fishbrine on how to link images. And thanks for the welcome Macflea. Indeed, I didn't like the colour of jungle wood either since I use default texture pack.

Ok so here are some of my builds over the years:

AYC40Ts.png

Above is the Hole with the pagoda inside

z08hoQf.jpg

Above is my first ever pagoda

QHImT2B.jpg

Castle in the Madnes64 style using quartz and dark oak

q9hKn0a.png

Close up of castle

nrdLmus.png

Small housing for villagers {madnes64 style]

9j9KbmV.png

And lasty a Stable {mades64 style again}

#17 Likliksnek

Likliksnek
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 252 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany
  • Nationality:German

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:14 PM

Those are wonderful buildings! Thank you for posting :)

Actually I'd like to see some asian style spot on our map, don't think we have any pagoda yet. ^^

Take care!

Claudia

#18 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:53 PM

Thanks Claudia,

I actually started to look around on YouTube on asian style buildings and saw some great ones called pagoda towns. The only drawback is that I think the look relies heavily on themed texture packs.

In any event, I could certainly try my hand on making asian style buildings when I get accepted onto the server.

Out of curiousity, what building styles are already on the map? I imagine there are a lot of modern and medieval styles already?

#19 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:53 AM

Sooo anyone playing Cities Skylines? I am thinking of getting that game this weekend.

#20 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:29 AM

It looks amazing doesn't it :D I'm such a cheapskate when it comes to buying games or.. you know.. anything. But I've been considering this one.

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users