• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA
  • Nationality:Dumb American

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hi peeps,

It's been a while since we had a music thread. So what are some of the greatest music you have ever heard?

Here is one of my favorites by J.S. Bach:

https://youtu.be/aXgg3vi9dx8

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#2 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

InvisibleCat (Flame): I liked that piece--has a nice medieval sound to it.

Sooo many choices from so many genres. I think I will choose one from Classic Rock. Growing up I never listened to this kind of music though--I was into R and B heh.

Ok this one is by Supertramp titled "Take the Long Way Home" (1979):

https://www.youtube....h?v=EwaRvALFRcQ

I could say now that this song is the soundtrack of my life and is still applicable to me today. I particularly like these set of lyrics from the song:

Does it feel that you life's become a catastrophe?
Oh, it has to be for you to grow, boy.
When you look through the years and see what you could
have been oh, what might have been,
if you'd had more time.

And of course there is the title and refrain "take the long way home" that I interpret as taking the harder path to achieve one's goals in life as opposed to just settling for something.

#3 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

Ahhh I like that song Rayms. Just didn't know who played it.

For me, there is always room for Melvins.

https://youtu.be/5nCrsKJDUoY

My one eye is closed so I can keep an eye on myself. The other eye remains cracked open so I can keep an eye on you. For you are beautiful and someone must hold a space for you to shine and live in complete freedom when you will not see. What this means in literal context is this: Each of my two eyes are looking 'at you' and 'for you'. – Dustin Strong

#4 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts
  • LocationGulf Breeze, Florida
  • Nationality:American

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:51 AM

Since Cat started with a highbrow medieval bent, Philip Pickett is a favorite.

My lowbrow choice: German Disco

Minecraft: Like Legos but with death.

#5 kazooki

kazooki
  • Tree Puncher

• 55 posts
  • LocationRome
  • Nationality:Thai

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

My favourite song is definitely "With Any Sort of Certainty" by Toh Kay. The lyrics and the video have so much symbolism, I have yet to figure out what does the song mean.

Something a bit more up beat would be "Me and My Baby (Saturday Night)" by Steam Powered Giraffe. I love their acting, and the song is good.

For EDM music I would definitely go with "I'd Love to Change the World (Matsubs Remix)" by Jetta. The break down is, may I say, eargasmic.

#6 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

Ahhh I like that song Rayms. Just didn't know who played it.

For me, there is always room for Melvins.

https://youtu.be/5nCrsKJDUoY

Ummm very interesting song :P

#7 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

@ Kazooki

I'm enjoying that steam punk stuff.

This thread is cool because it can be like a MC soundtrack while playing. :)

Classic:

#8 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:00 PM

Kazooki. You sir, have excellent taste in music. Post more! That Jetta song is my new favorite thing. Sick indeed.

Riffing off of your choices- Symbolic music with imagery doesn't get much better than Woodkid. Really beautiful cinematography, and I love the premise that the monsters that scare us so, may actually be there to help us instead.

If I need upbeat I might dig this out of a playlist. Imagine meshing old video game music with EDM...

Got anything Epic? I love soundtracks of all kinds. Make a Two Steps From Hell playlist. Doing dishes? Epic. Taking out the garbage? Epic. I do housework to this, lol.

If anyone wants to pop a video into the thread, all you have to do is type [youtube  ]put-link-here-no-spaces[  /youtube] 

#9 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:44 PM

Hi friends,

I like where this thread is going. Just wanted to clarify about the first song. J.S. Bach is of the late 'baroque' period.

Second, Battle of the bands? Who's game? :P

Third, Rayms might like this one:

#10 Raymadin

Raymadin
  • Tree Puncher

• 58 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:18 AM

Flame: that is a classic Queen song that I played for my gf once to get me Brownie points.

Indeed, I do like Mozart no 36. I generally like most classical work. :)

How does battle of the bands work?

I found this tribute last night to Led Zeppelin from 2012:

#11 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

Oh wow Rayms, I remember seeing this video some time back and it gave me chills when I saw that Led Zeppelin were watching their own song being played by someone else. :o

The 'battle of the bands' is a game I've been kicking around for years in social media.

Basically the way it works is participants playfully exchange song videos in a playful challenging way that such and such song is better than the last one. David Bowie could kick so and so's ass any day. Playful trash-talk is welcome in the game. In the past I've done 80's themed ones where we just share 80's videos....and other themes. My question is if you guys like this idea, should we keep it on a specific theme of music? Also, should it have it's own thread? It could probably work fine in this thread too.

#12 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

I've done Battle of the Bands before with music vids. Some themes I've participated in are Epic music, humorous or strange music videos, Happy/upbeat music etc. 

I'd keep it in the same thread, I think. You started the thread Cat, you choose! ^_^

#13 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

I've done Battle of the Bands before with music vids. Some themes I've participated in are Epic music, humorous or strange music videos, Happy/upbeat music etc. 

I'd keep it in the same thread, I think. You started the thread Cat, you choose! ^_^

He he he! Well....it's not a hard choice for me as far as 'theme' goes. I love to rock out. \m/

#14 forebrow

forebrow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 517 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:56 PM

I like the sounds that go: neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh pling pling rink ronk neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh bow wow row chow nowwwwwwwwwww neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh neurgghhh 

I also like other sounds

#15 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

music for 'in the shower' LOL

#16 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

#17 InvisibleCat007

InvisibleCat007
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Banned
  • Coal

• 644 posts
  • LocationWA (state) USA

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

I like it Elly. Why does it sound so close to Rage Against The Machine?

#18 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

It's possible Rage Against the Machine sounds like -them-. :P

U.D.S. is a Dutch band that formed in 1986, Rage Against the Machine formed in 1991. Although no telling who cross pollinated the sound to whom though.

#19 Ethawn

Ethawn
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

Elly is the musical expert in these parts, so for the most part I tend to stay out of these threads (her taste in music is my taste in music only substantially more developed, unless you get me on the topic of Bubblegum, of which I am far more of fan than she is). However, I felt the need to pop in here and lighten the mood with non-sense. This is my favorite "rock" song..

NSFW... NSFL... NSFPTDLS (Not Safe For People That Don't Like Swearing)

#20 Elly_Roo

Elly_Roo
  • Established
  • Tree Puncher

• 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

Ethawn, gah! Not that one! 

ppost_4fb3d772894a0579894389_zps42da6a8d

0 user(s) are reading this topic