Photo

Status of SixtyGig; and Minecraft 1.8. What to do?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Nationality:American

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

As many of you stated, the server needs to upgrade. The problem is, I simply can't easily upgrade using our current host, and if we do upgrade there is a very likely chance we may lose many critical plugins. So I believe now is the time to discuss our options.

Option 1, try to move to Spigot and cross our fingers:

If we move away from Bukkit (Pretty much inevitable) we'll probably switch to Spigot. But sadly, not all Bukkit plugins work with Spigot and Spigot itself has very limited plugin support, and to double up on that problem my host actually does not support the latest version of Spigot. In order to get it installed, I'd have to manually compile it and deliver it to my host in hopes he has the technical knowledge to get it working on his end. It's a messy solution, but with the best possible outcome.

Option 2, Vanilla MC and screw all this fancy plugin crap!:

Switching to Vanilla 1.8 would be easy (in fact, we could even keep the map with little issue) but obviously that would mean losing all our plugins including our chat colors, wilderness, portals, dynmap, etc. We'd always be able to safely and easily run the latest version of MC though.

Option 3, self hosting;

I can reinvest the monthly payments to my host and put them into upgrading my internet at home, and put the server on a local computer. This will allow me to install Spigot, and basically do whatever I want. But, even the upgraded internet might not be as fast as what we have currently. But even at our largest, we've never been a "huge" server, even a standard home cable internet connection is good enough for what we have now.

Option 4, sit on Bukkit 1.7 a little longer and hope somehow, someway, Bukkit 1.8 happens:

Probably not the best option, but hey, it's still an option I guess?

Option 5:

??

Anyways, this isn't really a poll. The options are just ideas I have. Feel free to let me know what ideas you support, and what you're willing to risk and provide your own input into other possible options. ;)

sig.png

#2 Rosleen

Rosleen
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Application Manager

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark
  • Nationality:Danish/Iranien

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:47 PM

Personally I'd be for option 1 or 3. I have a difficult time imagining the chaos a vanilla server might create, and I don't think we can stay in 1.7 any longer, before this place is nothing but a memory of a game we used to play.

Fueled by Tea and Chocolate

#3 fishbrine

fishbrine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Peachy

• 730 posts
  • LocationToronto
  • Nationality:Canadian

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

Option 3.

#4 Macflea

Macflea
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Iron Ore

• 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorth East, England
  • Nationality:British

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

I'd say 1 or 3

#5 IryshWhiskey

IryshWhiskey
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Stick

• 450 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US
  • Nationality:Irish-American

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

*Looks around* I'm just happy to be here! But this'll be the third reset I've witnessed and I disappeared for a long time. The best solution should be one that allows us to keep our builds despite the updates AND is as simple as possible to manage. If we start getting into third party people and crazy plug-in crap, there is so much opportunity for technical difficulty. 

Vanilla is not the answer, but is there a way to dumb it down to just a few plug-ins and move forward with that? I think we all love the portals, the map is pretty much a necessity and we all love the chat colors. Does spigot have those types of options?

Someone also mentioned earlier the idea of just agreeing to a yearly reset, minecraft updates be damned. It'd suck for some who like to build slow, forever homes; but it might be easier in the long run? 1.8 is pretty great, as was 7.2 when we decided to restart for that.

(Also hi everyone! I'm baaaaack!) 

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

Posted Image

#6 Pheonyxe5

Pheonyxe5
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 219 posts
  • LocationCarmel, CA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

I have higher hopes for Spigot eventually implementing plugins we would be missing out on than Bukkit ever really reviving.. So I am on board with options 1 or 3 as well, though I lean more towards option 1 as my computer already tends to run 60g slow, so I would be worried about option 3 impacting that further.. Though I don't know enough about server mechanics to know if that is a valid worry, so if option 3 is preferable to everyone else, I am happy with that.

While going full vanilla sounds fun in theory.. I agree with Ros that it would probably be more chaotic and result in more headaches down the road.  I could see that resulting in less activity then we currently have, even if it means we are completely up to date.  We would probably need to set down guidelines as far as resource gathering as well since I'm sure most of us don't want to see the map as it is torn up.  The Nether would probably be the biggest pain if we aren't able to reset it ever, but glowstone could make valuable currency...

:red_rose_32px: "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses" :red_rose_32px:

#7 HybridGenetiX

HybridGenetiX
  • Pip
  • Inactive
  • Log

• 185 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

1 or 3...I have rarely got on in recent months because we've been stuck in limbo. I'm been playing solo vanilla MC. So any change would be welcome. If I lost my big pretty house I won't be too upset, not like i'm there anyways. I'll miss all those stacks of diamonds though. :-(  

For the survival of the server an update is mandatory and I'll be grateful with any decision. 

P.S. Still waiting on my seasoned rank. LOL  

#8 LadyEh

LadyEh
  • PipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Workwench

• 371 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
  • Nationality:Maple Syrup

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:23 PM

Option 3.  Option anything that gives this place some life.

I'm one of those people who would welcome a reset every year, but plenty of people will have me drawn and quartered for even saying it.

Minecraft is a game that needs change to stay playable, to stay fresh, which is why it gets these updates.  Let's face it, the game gets boring.

This place needs some life breathed into, and it may take a fresh start to do that.

"There are few things in the world that make me angrier than poverty, the lack of basic human civil rights, and the fact that most women's clothes don't have pockets." --Jenny Lawson, Furiously Happy

#9 Zellcos

Zellcos
  • PipPip
  • Inactive
  • Plank

• 228 posts
  • LocationThe desert. Hence why I build by a jungle biome.
  • Nationality:Americano

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

I say we try option 1. It constitutes a bunch of work on your and your host's part (also making sure he's willing to try), but it's progressive in that it might allow us to keep some mods.

If spigot is an evil mastermind bent on ruling the world, we'll just go option TWO and switch to vanilla.

And hope for sweet sweet bukkit to return to us some day.

dis is my voting face.

º__º

EDIT: I am actually for option two, not three. Don't want to pile more work on Ray. Vanilla all the way babeee

#10 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

https://nitrous-networks.com let's your install spigot from the control panel. It's all compiled and done for you. It's on 1.8.4 at the moment. Might be worth try to experiment with even to find plugins that work.
I like coffee!

#11 torcido

torcido
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran
  • Torch

• 762 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

I'm confused about all the reset talk.  Do any of the three necessitate a reset?

For 1-Spigot, would Spigot not work with a map that had been on a Bukkit server?  Losing plugins would corrupt the current map in some way?  

For 2-Vanny, keeping the map was specifically mentioned as viable.

For 3-Rayvo.com, again with the Sodium Spigot v Bukkit o' Water?

Map resets are inevitable, and do bring life for a short time.  But 'scheduled' ones bite.  Last time we had a 'scheduled' one set, the map was, well, as barren as it is now, for months, since everyone knew everything was being flushed 'soon'.  I say map resets should be like pulling kids teeth with strings: tell me there's a balloon in the sky, then when I look up, yank away.

I think 2 is being sold short.  We all know who's got what color name (for instance, Ray's Red like the rising sun, Ros's Gold like the awards her builds deserve, and Renic's gray, like his cold, rocky heart, etc.).  It would be a loss, as gold is all I've actually accomplished here (Have you seen my builds? Sheesh.)  

The portals would still be an option.  We'd just have to work out a nether-based linkage system like the Crackers (is that appropriate?) and Hermits, and whoever elseses have.   Pre-Wilds versions of SG had an outer 'Wilderness' that could be revived, possibly with a bedrock Raydrian's Wall between that area and the current map to differentiate the mineable areas from the buildable ones. (Granted, that would hurt the view from Renic's place, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.)  The area outside could still have the new block types (the wall obscuring the transition) and nether-based portals could lead outside as needed.  Might make the map too large to be easily hosted (?) IDK.     

[OT: Not having Nekcalb, Ax, or Garrik around to work into these random insults, leaving only Renic as the ubiquitous butt, has really degraded the quality of my work here.  It's as if Michelangelo had to paint The Last Judgement without any greens, golds, or blues.  A loss for all the new members, really.]

BOT:1 and 3 seem like more work on Ray. Would 2 only require the map edit for the wall? Would the rest, (linking portals, in the nether, basically,) just be left up to us in-game?

If Ray's interested in 1 or 3, of course I'm on board.  3 might be a good 'test' of Spigot, if it's something Ray's wiling to manage on his own (would the upgrade be more or less costly than the hosting is now?)  If it works out but the home-brew doesn't, then we could always move to a hosted server (if warranted) then with the foundation intact. 

Not having SSP'd 1.8, i don't know what I'm missing.  So I'll just go along with the crowd Ray [Ed.] on whichever one is desired.  I just wanted to pull the Vanny option back onto the table in case that turns out to be the cheapest/best/least doubleplusunbadmalus version for one reason or another in the end.

Danke.

Posted Image

#12 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:48 PM

I also think 2 has some viability, although 1 or 3 would be best if pulled off flawlessly. We could replace a large number of plugins with the new command block commands (teleporting for portals, worldborder, etc) and we could teleport players to set "stations" in the area outside of the map for wilds farming. This area would be periodically reset, as normal, as would the nether.

Some functions would mess up, such as nether portals, but I do think we would be able to adapt. We wouldn't have block logging programs, either, which would be a problem.

Personally, I would support 1 or 3, but those do seem like quite a bit of work, for Ray and for us.

I'm confused about all the reset talk.  Do any of the three necessitate a reset?

I don't think it *necessarily* has to be a reset, but using option 2 would be sure that there would not be a reset. Option 1 and 3 has risks.

There used to be something here..

#13 Blue_Dragon360

Blue_Dragon360
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,028 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Oh, and also: Ray, do you think we could get a list of all plugins and features used? That may be helpful to decide what we can and can't live without. At the moment, I'm not entirely sure which plugins aren't available with Spigot.

There used to be something here..

#14 iliplayz

iliplayz
  • Pip
  • Established
  • Log

• 122 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:06 PM

Option 5:

??

Wait a bit and see if spigot gets more plugins?

Squaring the circle since 2010.

#15 Rayvolution

Rayvolution
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Admin
  • Retired Admin

• 1,870 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

Technically speaking we're likely to avoid a reset with any of the options, since our map is simply just a map. ;)

A reset would only happen if you guys want to just start a clean slate, but really, I think I can avoid it with most of the options.

sig.png

#16 Schematix

Schematix
  • PipPip
  • Established
  • Plank

• 241 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:55 AM

Moardawts hosts a server for his friends and he is currently running Spigot for 1.8 on there. We have a mining map and there's world borders that keep us from screwing anything up. Actually, we've got like 6 maps, old ones from like 1.2. I don't know of anything else that we would need? The overworld portals could be remedied with command blocks?

Personally, I enjoy resets on occasion, I actually went and started a single player game and I've been having fun in that, although, granted, I have barely had any time to be on at all with it being my senior year and oodles upon oodles of testing and all. Planned resets are not very good either, we need them to be on a as-needed basis for pretty much all the reasons Torcido mentioned. 

Honestly, I think if the server did get some life flowing back into it, but didn't reset, I'd hop on to finish the final touches to my projects, then I'd get rid of all my items and start over somewhere. 

Pure Vanilla would be okay? The only thing I wouldn't like is the slight paranoia of item theft, simply because its possible, not because I have a reason to suspect any of you (Love ya guys :P). How could we deal with possible griefing by new people? I think that's a problem worth considering, even though I haven't heard a single peep about griefing on this server since I arrived.

I vote in order of favor, 1,3,2,4. (Like my teal vote even matters, hah)

Smile! :)

#17 Sivcere

Sivcere
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Established
  • Coal

• 668 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
  • Nationality:Kiwi as bro

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:20 AM

Just pointing out, but if any of these choices don't work out, we can always go back to what we have.

I'm a terrible choice maker on the best of days and today is not my day (Just went on a four hour hike, up hill 2km, then another 2km up another hill and 7 more k)  

I want to wait it out but I kinda know we can't, it's already been half a year and frankly the server is pretty quiet, I don't want to go on because I like talking to people as I build and there's never anyone on (Damm you time zones) which just adds to the issue. I want a magical fifth choice to appear but life doesn't work that way. 

Go with whatever, I'm not really happy with the whole affair but we can't do a lot to change it and something needs to change.

On the matter of resets, I'm not too fussed, I'm just worried for people like Ros and Lik, they have put a lot of time into those and it seems like a pity. Though I don't see why we need a reset.

I'm a cat now, how odd.

#18 GarrikP

GarrikP
  • Veteran
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,042 posts
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Nationality:US

Posted 02 May 2015 - 06:58 AM

[OT: Not having Nekcalb, Ax, or Garrik around to work into these random insults, leaving only Renic as the ubiquitous butt, has really degraded the quality of my work here.  It's as if Michelangelo had to paint The Last Judgement without any greens, golds, or blues.  A loss for all the new members, really.]

I'll take your quips anyday you old man.

To the point, Going pure vanilla would open options up.

Yes, some of the mod-hungry players might complain for a bit, some might quit. But (to my knowledge), SixtyGig has always strived to stay as close to vanilla as possible, and over time we've added mods that didn't change much but made the map a lot more convenient.

Loss of portals would mean we as a team would build more buildings in the manner of railroad houses.
It would also force us to interact more with each other again.
Remember WAAAAAAAAAY back when we had the grid map, and to go visit anyone forced us to walk through everyone else?  We might not have ever gotten to our destination, but we visited each other and really brought out the 'multi' in multiplayer.

If the people want change NOW, I'd vote for Pure Vanilla, and research our options in the meantime. Getting back to our roots wouldn't hurt. At least not much anyway, the creepers would explode, but we can always fix that with fences and torches.

<Profound statement>

#19 Captain_Marko

Captain_Marko
  • Seasoned
  • Stone Pickaxe

• 1,091 posts
  • LocationUK & much further East

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

Option 1. It's not do or die, it's possible I understand  8) More flexible and avoids pure vanilla... with it's transport issues.

Is the host likely to support a more recent Spigot in the future or is he determined to stick to what he knows?

Or Option 3---   gives Ray total control. Hey look, power! 

Either way it makes for lots of work for Ray, that well known busy game developer - Ray, seriously, what would work best for you?

I Never Ever Nether ™

Read the 60Gig FAQ!

#20 WordlyWalker

WordlyWalker
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Inactive
  • Wooden Axe

• 533 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 02 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

What mods do we really need? I ran a little server on the nitrous networks I mentioned earlier using spigot.   I tried a mod for portals called Multiverse I think and it worked and allowed more than one map and also Dynmap works with it.

I've never known any griefing since I've been a member so do we really need and rollback mods?

World border is part of MC vanilla now and you can change chat colours by putting different grades of player into different teams which is also part of vanilla MC.

Obviously Ray knows what mods he uses and needs.

Can we back everything up. Try something and if it fails just go back to what we had?

I like coffee!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users